That's my biggest concern about the Passport.

Is it easy to get used to?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 08:37 PM
    That's my biggest concern about the Passport.

Is it easy to get used to?

Posted via CB10
    Have a look through this forum - there are many hands on experiences detailing this.

Consensus says it does take time to get used to, yes. However the comparison has been drawn it is similar to the jump from qwerty to touchscreen.

First hours will be awkward, though over time you will learn and develop muscle memory for the new layout.

Posted via CB10
    jjfad likes this.
    09-18-14 08:44 PM
    It will take adjustment. Touch-typing with complex sentences (commas, numbers, dashes, parentheticals, other punctuation) will be next to impossible. Unfortunately. But for general communication, I'm not expecting too much difficulty. My typed correspondence will need to become simpler, but maybe that's for the best. I'll miss quotations, semicolons, and apostrophes quite a bit. I don't use autocorrect on my Q10 and will have to adjust to it on the Passport.

It's silly that they couldn't get an alt key on there in order to double the physical characters available. But what can you do. I'm looking forward to the experience, but I'll inevitably migrate to the Classic once it becomes available.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 09:10 PM
    It will take adjustment. Touch-typing with complex sentences (commas, numbers, dashes, parentheticals, other punctuation) will be next to impossible. Unfortunately. But for general communication, I'm not expecting too much difficulty. My typed correspondence will need to become simpler, but maybe that's for the best. I'll miss quotations, semicolons, and apostrophes quite a bit. I don't use autocorrect on my Q10 and will have to adjust to it on the Passport.

It's silly that they couldn't get an alt key on there in order to double the physical characters available. But what can you do. I'm looking forward to the experience, but I'll inevitably migrate to the Classic once it becomes available.

Posted via CB10
    The same stuff worries me. I have always deactivated those autocorrect (or other typing assistents) features on all my phones, including my Q10. They just aren't reliable enough and usually do more harm at the end of the day than they actually prove being helpful. So it of course also worries me how typing longer, more complex texts with the Passport will be. Chatting and a casual tweet won't be a problem for sure. But what about mails, reports, blog entries, etc.?

This very question currently drives me more towards the Classic, since you still have a full keyboard which of course offers complete control over the stuff you are typing. I'll give the Passport a try for sure, alone for the fact because I am curious how it will work in person.

There sure will be some learning curve, but this is often the case when settling over to a new keyboard. Making full advantage of it might even take a couple of days.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 04:20 AM
    Auto correct may be able to help you guys tremendously with commas and apostrophes. All other symbols will surely take a bit to get used to, and I'm not looking forward to that slow down either. Here are some of mine if it helps:

Wel ---> We'll
    Wer ---> We're

I'll add commas to my passport auto correct for common words like:

But ---> , but
    And ---> , and

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 06:34 AM
    Auto correct may be able to help you guys tremendously with commas and apostrophes. All other symbols will surely take a bit to get used to, and I'm not looking forward to that slow down either. Here are some of mine if it helps:

Wel ---> We'll
    Wer ---> We're

I'll add commas to my passport auto correct for common words like:

But ---> , but
    And ---> , and

Posted via CB10
    those are good ideas for contractions. ill def need to get fancy with the word subs. this is what my passport typing will look like. ha.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 07:10 AM
    Fleksy is kind of same keyboard which passport will use.
    09-19-14 08:27 AM
    My typed correspondence will need to become simpler, but maybe that's for the best.
    No, that's bad. Very bad.
    This is becoming a world of illiterates, people who don't know how to talk or write. Now people write more than in the past, but not nearly as good.
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    09-19-14 10:40 AM
    This is becoming a world of illiterates, people who don't know how to talk or write. Now people write more than in the past, but not nearly as good.
    Couldn't agree more. This is one of the reasons why I switched back to a physical keyboard from that Lumia: Typing errors, stupid autocorrects and generic errors. Virtually everybody I know starts being completely careless about their writing and language in their chats and mails. It's embarrassing.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    09-19-14 12:10 PM
    Yes, I agree. I can't stand the sloppy typing of most people today. I really can't understand why the Passport couldn't fit a real BlackBerry keyboard with that much space? I do like the gestures though. I'm pretty sure I will go with the classic.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 07:46 PM
    If you've used the touch screen keyboards on BlackBerry 10 you'll know you have non to worry about. Work prediction and flick typing is a much faster way of typing than the physical keyboard. I have both and the virtual keyboard is just too good.

Not to mention English doesn't even have accented letters. Writing in french on the physical keyboard without word suggestions or word substitution must be a nightmare for example, but it's a breeze on the virtual keyboard

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 07:58 PM
    I bought the z10 the first chance I got. It has the best touch keyboard I have ever used. I can still pick up my wife's q10 and type with more accuracy.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 08:21 PM
    but not nearly as good.
    as well.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    09-19-14 08:37 PM
    Umm so no one on this thread has seen a pic of the keyboard and screen in action? It's there for you

What about the three row keyboard?-img_20140919_214122.png
    09-19-14 08:42 PM
    Not nearly as well*

Lol, sorry dude, I couldn't help myself. :-P

But I agree with you though. :-)

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-20-14 12:02 AM
    If you've used the touch screen keyboards on BlackBerry 10 you'll know you have non to worry about. Work prediction and flick typing is a much faster way of typing than the physical keyboard. I have both and the virtual keyboard is just too good.

Not to mention English doesn't even have accented letters. Writing in french on the physical keyboard without word suggestions or word substitution must be a nightmare for example, but it's a breeze on the virtual keyboard

Posted via CB10
    Word prediction, word substitution, auto-correct, I mean, seriously. Nobody knows English anymore? What will we do without some little computer to think for us? And while it may be as fast or faster, it's definitely not as accurate. I don't have a single friend who uses a virtual keyboard that makes as few typos as I do. And often times that autocorrect would put a completely wrong word...

Use your brains people. It's literally something that if you don't use it you lose it. Yes, you do actually get dumber if you never use your brain...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-20-14 12:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    The very same has been said about Microsofts new flow keyboard they introduced in Windows Phone 8.1, it even hold the world record for fastest mobile phone writing for a few weeks. Not only that swiping is quite tiring for longer texts, but it also requires paying more attention to what the software is doing. Countless times I've seen the "nearly perfect" autocorrection putting out completely wrong words for the context or simply having the nightmare of typing special words (which I do a lot) and telling autocorrect it should stay away from correcting those.

I know you can type faster with most virtual keyboards here, especially if you have just a casual chat going on. However I'd rather prefer having complete control about my characters, commas and paragraphs, same with special characters. I am German, so I indeed have to deal with stuff like �, �, � - not as bad as in some other languages, but yes it slows me down, however in the end of the day it is more comfortable in typing a bit slower than having to rely on the software guessing my words right.

Again, I am curious to try out the Passport once I get the chance. Yet I am very skeptical it will be my final choice.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    09-20-14 04:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    swiping down on the keyboard == alt key.
    it's capacitive, remember?
    Way way easier than hitting a little alt-key somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 04:30 AM
    Word prediction, word substitution, auto-correct, I mean, seriously. Nobody knows English anymore? What will we do without some little computer to think for us? And while it may be as fast or faster, it's definitely not as accurate.
    Why not? Word prediction doesn't require any sacrifice in accuracy. It's trained by you to suggest the next likely word, based on your own usage. Unless you routinely use misspelled words or non-words, it's not going to suggest them. And of course, nothing compels you to accept them. Much of the time, however, the predicted word is the one you want. If you type "as good" it's going to suggest "as" for the next word, due to the fact that this "as good as" is a common English phrase. You're not dumbing down you're writing by exploiting the statistical regularities of the language to save keypresses.

As for Word Substitution...this is my personal hobbyhorse. Used thoughtfully, you can make your text entry much faster and much more accurate. As of today, I have 460 Word Sub entries, most of them common English words. Because they are common, I rarely type a sentence without using several of them, saving many keypresses in the process. It doesn't make me dumber to type "bcs" to get "because," or "wo" to get "without" or "mk" to get make. Just those three substitutions saved me 11 keypresses, which is several seconds of time. And of course, accuracy is guaranteed. It all adds up.

Note that Auto-correct and Word Substitution are not the same thing. You can turn the former off and still use the latter. Predictive text and Word Substitution are not the same either. You can turn "Show Predictions" off and Word Substitution will still work; it just won't show the entries in green.

I see no virtue in thumb-typing every single letter of every word, and ignoring suggested words that I'm about to type anyway.
    09-21-14 03:14 PM
    swiping down on the keyboard == alt key.
    it's capacitive, remember?
    Way way easier than hitting a little alt-key somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, I start reaching for the alt key while typing the last normal character. You have to wait until you're done with that before you can swipe down to get the special characters. Plus, there's no delay in the swiping, then the special characters showing up, they're already right there on the keyboard. And typing multiple special characters in a row is simple by holding the alt key, then releasing when you're ready to go back to normal characters...
    09-30-14 08:34 PM
    Why not? Word prediction doesn't require any sacrifice in accuracy. It's trained by you to suggest the next likely word, based on your own usage. Unless you routinely use misspelled words or non-words, it's not going to suggest them. And of course, nothing compels you to accept them. Much of the time, however, the predicted word is the one you want. If you type "as good" it's going to suggest "as" for the next word, due to the fact that this "as good as" is a common English phrase. You're not dumbing down you're writing by exploiting the statistical regularities of the language to save keypresses.

As for Word Substitution...this is my personal hobbyhorse. Used thoughtfully, you can make your text entry much faster and much more accurate. As of today, I have 460 Word Sub entries, most of them common English words. Because they are common, I rarely type a sentence without using several of them, saving many keypresses in the process. It doesn't make me dumber to type "bcs" to get "because," or "wo" to get "without" or "mk" to get make. Just those three substitutions saved me 11 keypresses, which is several seconds of time. And of course, accuracy is guaranteed. It all adds up.

Note that Auto-correct and Word Substitution are not the same thing. You can turn the former off and still use the latter. Predictive text and Word Substitution are not the same either. You can turn "Show Predictions" off and Word Substitution will still work; it just won't show the entries in green.

I see no virtue in thumb-typing every single letter of every word, and ignoring suggested words that I'm about to type anyway.
    Unless I can get my home PC to also do the word substitutions or somehow get it so every other phone I pick up and use will also have it instantly when I pick it up, I will not be using it. I stick to the philosophy of doing things that are universal. So I am just as efficient and "at home" no matter what device I'm using and where. I got this mentality from another major aspect of my life that I don't want to get too specific about, and it's served me well in that area as well.
    09-30-14 08:37 PM
    Not nearly as well*

Lol, sorry dude, I couldn't help myself. :-P

But I agree with you though. :-)
    I'm not a native speaker, so I'm justified.
    Thank you for correcting me anyway!
    10-01-14 03:40 AM
    One week and I'm now typing just as fast and confident as on my Q10.
    Swiping words and symbols improves speeds tremendously and word suggestions are better every day. The contextual the row is good, if you long-press them you get alternative symbols too for a little more ease.
    Typing blind is easy because the symbols are still mapped to the keyboard, takes a few days to learn their positions.

For numeral fields like passwords you get 1 row with numbers instead of full symbol list which is good.

When I now grab my Q10 again the first thing I think of is "wow this keyboard sure is cramped".

All I wish now is for the currency symbol to ffin' change from $ to another currency by default. Still don't have that setting.

BlackBerry Passport signed.
    10-01-14 04:07 AM
    For numeral fields like passwords you get 1 row with numbers instead of full symbol list which is good.
    Screenshot?
    Do you mean you have all 10 digits on screen?

All I wish now is for the currency symbol to ffin' change from $ to another currency by default. Still don't have that setting.
    It's the same for every other BB10 phone... I hate it too on my Q10.
    But in this case, it's not a physical key, so you always need to invoke the symbol panel.
    10-01-14 04:21 AM
    Password:
    What about the three row keyboard?-img_20141001_123615.png
    Spreadsheet:
    What about the three row keyboard?-img_20141001_123643.png
    Some languages get even more symbol options:
    What about the three row keyboard?-img_20141001_123758.png

BlackBerry Passport signed.
    II ARROWS likes this.
    10-01-14 05:41 AM
31 12