Would love some feedback on this. We all know the shortcomings of BBOS and the Passport, and the future scary of all BBOS devices maybe not being supported in a couple years. However, after using the Passport for a few months now, I have to say that Android and iOS devices are lagging behind some of the features that the Passport offers.

Here's my list of what's ahead and behind the game for the Passport. Chime in with your $.02...

Passport is ahead in:

1. (The obvious) Productivity. The Hub, the Hub, the Hub is SO innovative and fluid. Everyone loves apps, but the fact that I don't have to open up several different messaging apps is so nice. If I want to text, I use the Hub. If I want to check email, I use the Hub. If I want to see my call list....the Hub. Even all my social media notifications are in the Hub thanks to the "Nemory apps". The Hub has no rival in any other operating system that I have used. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

2. Build quality. Wow! I know BB has been doing this for years, but I came from the iPhone 6, and the build quality of the Passport smokes the thin and fragile iPhone. The Passport is a tank (in a good way). I have dropped it, put it next to my keys in my pocket, and even had my toddler slime it with his greasy hands and it still looks brand new, without a blemish.

3. Battery life. I'm sure there are a few devices on the market that can compete, but this is the best battery I've ever had in a device. Two days without charging with moderate to heavy usage. What a true workhorse!

4. The keyboard. Both the physical keys and the virtual track-pad save me so much grief. I used to make so many mistakes on the virtual keyboards of other devices, but now I get exactly what I type. The shortcuts are so handy and the scrolling feature on the web is ingenious.

5. Multitasking. I have 6 apps open on my Passport as I'm typing this, and I can get to each of them with one tap of the screen. My Twitter timeline is right where I left it, the weather app is showing me the current weather and my task list is there for the marking off. True multitasking is so helpful.

6. Speakers. Simply the best sound I've ever had on a mobile device. The loudness sometimes frightens me when I have forgotten to turn it down before starting a video or song.

7. The LED notification light. It lets me know when to be bothered and when to not to be. On my iPhone, I used to check my phone every time it dinged or the screen lit up, and now I can keep working unless I see my blue notification light telling me it's my wife.

Now to "behind the game" list... (much shorter)

1. Apps. (Another obvious one). If you're willing to tinker with it, and much thanks to Cobalt's hard work, we can actually get 95% of the apps the other platforms have. But obviously out of the box, the Passport won't have access to all of the current apps, and this has many staying clear of BB.

2. Confidence in future support. If we all knew that BBOS would continue being supported, which it might, more of us might hang with the Passport. However, the unstable times for BlackBerry has us wondering if we're holding the last true BlackBerry, and that has some of us going the way of the inevitable and getting another device with future updates and support. For me, I'm living in the now and using the best out there.

3. Camera and picture quality. The Passport is actually a pretty decent camera, but if I'm honest, the iPhone excelled here. But I can definitely get by.

Wow, long post. Thanks for reading. Chime in if you feel like it.
    07-08-16 02:23 PM
    Good post. I agree completely although I don't have an iPhone. The weaknesses of the camera do not play the big role with me since I use these photos almost entirely for quick Internet purposes and for that they are great. The more pictures someone sends away the less microscopic detail questions play a role. Again, nice post.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    07-08-16 02:37 PM
    All so true.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 02:39 PM
    Iphone SE and Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 have better battery life. Especially the Samsung. I think it's the best device battery life wise in the market right now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-08-16 02:41 PM
    I agree completely. I'm now using a Priv as my secondary device, and the camera much better than that of the Passport (although PP's camera is still pretty good).

The battery life of the Passport, I must say, reminds me of the old BlackBerry devices from the early 2000's. They just went on and on... of course, that all changed with the Z10's hellishly short battery life, but they more than made up for it with the Passport. In fact, I use my PP all day on the Web, responding to work and personal email, BBM, Whatsapp, and hours & hours of conference calls. And it still gets me through the day. As far as the Priv goes, if I look at it for too long, the battery drops by 10%. I do hope they fix it!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 02:46 PM
    Great post and pretty accurate.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 02:59 PM
    I agree on all points. Since there probably won't be another BB10 device, I am not looking forward to the day I have to give up the Hub. Hopefully one day the android Hub will be as good as the original, but I hear it's not there yet.

Something else I LOVE about the Passport is the pop-off door for the SIM and SD cards. Not having to hunt for a damn needle or SIM remover tool is a beautiful thing.
    07-08-16 03:02 PM
    Sums it up well. I finally had the opportunity to get some work done on my passport as I waited for something at a mall; the keyboard makes it painless, I would have passed with my old touch screen only android phone.
    07-08-16 03:19 PM
    I recently came to the realization, how well designed the BB10 operating system is Productivity. This is after using several types of BlackBerry 10 phones for the past few years. Several productivity apps are built right in (eg Remember, Documents to Go, File Manager,BBM etc). True, it's not perfect. And I'm not experienced with IOS and Android so my basis for comparison is limited.

For users like me who are communications and Getting Things Done oriented, it's been a great OS.

I read another thread recently that listed the top 10 things that cell phone users want these days, and most of the list had to do with photographs and apps; Productivity was not on the list. Hence the BlackBerry malaise.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-16 10:04 PM
    The market has spoken. What most people think they want is a smartphone, not a micro computer with calling capability. OS10 is to far ahead especially in passport, people just not ready yet.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 03:10 AM
    Agreed, honest review. You forgot the non-removable battery, it's always a good thing when we can replace it by ourselves.

It is possible to choose the notification led colors on Android as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 04:43 AM
    BlackBerry Passport: the phone that's ahead of its time.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 04:48 AM
    I can't stand my wife's android phone... I find it slow, clunky...battery life is shocking, HATE VKB (on any device)...sometimes surprised why people go mad for android and hate bb10...I am biased..there are some niggles but love bb10

Posted via CB10 - 9900 -Playbook- Q10 - Passport SE (1) - Passport SE (2)
    07-10-16 06:50 AM
    When I switched jobs, had to leave behind my BlackBerry Passport and was given a Samsung Galaxy s5. Long story short, after a few months with Android, I'm going to buy my own Passport and put my work SIM into it.

Android is the most disjointed mobile OS on the market today. Where the Samsung did shine was the camera and screen quality. I'd say the battery was on par with the Passport. Everything else, the Passport wins hands down. There's only a handful of Android apps that I can't run on my Passport (thanks Cobalt), so that comparable is useless to me. The Passport feels so integrated in design. For example, getting access to my Box cloud, it's integrated into the file manager. Genius!

And maybe because I was spoiled with BlackBerry, Android really annoys me with music playback. When bluetoothed to my car, Android occasionally has gaps in playback. Almost like a skip in the recording. This really annoys me as I think there's something wrong with the soundtrack. Nope, just Android. BlackBerry doesn't have this issue. Also, when an email or text or BBM comes in, Android feels like it must lower the volume of my music so I know that I have a notification. I'm driving. I'm supposed to be hands free. Leave me alone!!!! BlackBerry just plays the music, doesn't let the notifications get in the way of my musical enjoyment.

Those are my thoughts. I really can't wait until I can get my hands on a Passport again.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 07:29 AM
    When I switched jobs, had to leave behind my BlackBerry Passport and was given a Samsung Galaxy s5. Long story short, after a few months with Android, I'm going to buy my own Passport and put my work SIM into it.

Android is the most disjointed mobile OS on the market today.

Snip

And maybe because I was spoiled with BlackBerry, Android really annoys me with music playback. When bluetoothed to my car, Android occasionally has gaps in playback. Almost like a skip in the recording. This really annoys me as I think there's something wrong with the soundtrack. Nope, just Android. BlackBerry doesn't have this issue.
    Here, here! I've been going back and forth between my Passport and a Sony Z3 Compact for the waterproofing. The Android phone skips constantly with BT audio playback in my car. Never a problem with BlackBerry OS. Also, I really miss the play/pause button when I'm not using the Passport. (and the file manager, the speaker, the call quality, the screen, the browser...)

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the waterproofing coat on a Passport? Staples was selling it in store for a while.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 08:37 AM
    Here, here! I've been going back and forth between my Passport and a Sony Z3 Compact for the waterproofing. The Android phone skips constantly with BT audio playback in my car. Never a problem with BlackBerry OS. Also, I really miss the play/pause button when I'm not using the Passport. (and the file manager, the speaker, the call quality, the screen, the browser...)

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the waterproofing coat on a Passport? Staples was selling it in store for a while.

Posted via CB10
    I forgot about the play/pause button. Yes!!! What a pain in the arse on Android wanting to quickly stop audio or video playback. On BlackBerry, hit the pause button on the side of the phone. Easy peasy.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 11:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    Use a condom.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 11:32 AM
    You forgot about Blend. It's very innovative software to use with BB10. The fact that you can check via the computer and transfer files via WiFi (with Link) is genius! It's a great built-in file management system without to paying or it (I'm looking at you Android). I can just go to my computer and drag my pictures and music like I'm connecting a USB key.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 11:35 AM
    The word "productivity" is subjective.

If you can't run a critical app, then productivity goes to zero.

If you are stuck with the BB10 file manager and need webdav or ftp support to access your files, then productivity goes to zero.

If you need social networking capabilities or specific instant messenger apps to communicate for work or pleasure, not to be found on BB10, your productivity goes to zero.

If you need to constantly perform workarounds like app patching, then productivity takes a nose dive.
    Last edited by conite; 07-10-16 at 01:21 PM.
    cgallaer likes this.
    07-10-16 11:42 AM
    The word "productivity" is subjective.

If you can't run a critical app, then productivity goes to zero.

If you are stuck with the BB10 file manager and need webdav or ftp support to access your files, then productivity goes to zero.

If you need social networking capabilities or specific instant messenger apps to communicate for work or pleasure, your productivity goes to zero.

If you need to constantly perform workarounds like app patching, then productivity takes a nose dive.
    "Productivity" is absolutely subjective. For some, if apps can get the job done, that's enough for them . For others, the integration and flow of an OS creates more productivity.

App patching is a one time thing per app if the need for this app is paramount. Personally, I don't like the way Android OS works. So I would rather work in an environment that is pleasing, and take little extra time to patch apps to fill that gap.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 01:03 PM
    You forgot about Blend. It's very innovative software to use with BB10. The fact that you can check via the computer and transfer files via WiFi (with Link) is genius! It's a great built-in file management system without to paying or it (I'm looking at you Android). I can just go to my computer and drag my pictures and music like I'm connecting a USB key.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, blend and links do not work well with my macbook
    07-10-16 05:36 PM