I think the Classic, Passport and other recent information has been put out to keep shareholders in the game, otherwise the stock wouldn't be doing as well.
    08-07-14 04:21 PM
    lts create a thread so we can gripe about how long the Passport takes to be released...afterall there are so many things that have already been written about it except this.....bases covered. Winnings!!
    08-07-14 04:34 PM
    ...BlackBerry hasn't even yet announced the device lol. It was more of a 'tease' or testing the waters than an actual announcement.
    Right. They've allowed it to get photo'ed/video'ed. That's all.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-07-14 05:02 PM
    to summarize we need new goodies about the passport ASAP and a release date (early sept.) that will not be postponed.
    Iblamesummers likes this.
    08-07-14 05:18 PM
    Not only this, but the distance between the device being revealed to the time it debuts is irrelevant because the only people buying one will be the diehards that frequent this site. #truestory
    It takes skill to make it seem like you are agreeing with the person you were responding to, while in reality you take a major jab at their comment and then follow it up with an outright the contradiction of their statement while still making it seem as though you are agreeing with the poster's sentiment. Impressive!

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-07-14 06:26 PM
    OP, I disagree.

Over time, Apple has earned the luxury of having speculation build up for their products, then announce and release them in quick progression. Their survival is not at stake.

In contrast, BlackBerry, as an entity much maligned in technology reporting and in the public consciousness, needs to convince people that they are alive and kicking. So, I think that their strategy regarding the Passport was the right one.

Just my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 06:46 PM
    Except that's completely false as they announced the mac pro like 6 months before it was released along with the original iPhone. Plenty of other devices as well.

Posted via CB10
    Matt... I am not talking about the mac pro nor the original iPhone. My comment is pretty specific as to a official" product release event from an Apple - showing consumers the device, etc. like Chen did with the Classic and Passport with no other info isn't something Apple does. So my statement is correct.
    08-07-14 06:52 PM
    I think that BlackBerry is doing this wrong. I don't understand why they announced the Passport without even a release date to accompany it. We know that it's coming, but we don't know when and we don't even know anything much about it besides the keyboard.

The way I see it, BlackBerry is just letting the hype die away. For the first time in a while, BB has managed to generate a small bit of hype. But with no follow up in sight, what's the point?

Look at the history of iPhones. Announce, then release a week after. The hype is still fresh when you're able to buy the phone. It just makes sense.

This reminds me of that awesome Z10/BB10 Super Bowl commercial that simply did nothing because by the time release day came around, nobody remembered.
    IPhone 6 leaks and speculation has been going on for a while.

The Passport is in the hands of carriers for testing right now. BB will release a date when the carriers say they're ready. It's how it goes. Besides, no sense releasing a device before bugs and other refinements can be sufficiently addressed. We all know what happens if they don't take the time to finish off an OS before releasing in the wild. Fail this...fail that...bla bla bla.
    08-07-14 07:06 PM
    How many of you who have commented their frustration to the BlackBerry Passport launch is a Project Manager?

The project is till in the execution phase. Sit back and relax my fellow Blackberry fanatics. The marketing phase of the passport is a project by itself and when the device is ready to hit the market, the marketing will be executed accordingly.

Tight now the buzz of the device is out there. If you are serious about getting the device and those who are non-crackberrians who are also serious will get it when it is available. Patience my friends. The Z3 was a success and the Passport will follow. BlackBerry is on track with this device and it will be in your hands sooner than you think.

JC is seriously committed to the rise of BlackBerry and the team is doing all that is very possible to get the device to market.
    I have not commented re: frustration at Passport release dates - but I am a Project Mgr..... And a very important part of Stakeholder Engagement is to manage expectations and then deliver more.

We are important Stakeholders (we buy BlackBerry phones, and we influence other potential purchasers), so to manage our expectations we need to be given some dates, and then the actual product needs to be delivered earlier
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 08-08-14 at 07:15 AM.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    08-07-14 07:17 PM
    08-07-14 07:36 PM
    Don't care when iPhone's or Android's are released, I buy Blackberry and then only when they make a model I want. So still waiting. Come on BB10 Slider.
    spikesolie and Iblamesummers like this.
    08-07-14 10:14 PM
    I remember when they announced the Q10. It took soooooooooo long for it to come out. By the time it did it was significantly outdated in comparison to the competition. Same with the 9900

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    08-07-14 11:19 PM
    If I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    08-07-14 11:22 PM
    Can't rush perfection!
    vvvhhh8 likes this.
    08-08-14 12:45 AM
    Ya you're right, launch is taking to long that's why daily there's new threads about ppl dying for the release of the phone. Well knowing on release day you're all gonna be buying it with me
    08-08-14 01:20 AM
    Ya'll would be mad if they did put a date, then they would fail to meet it, then ya'll would keep waiting.

Rather just not give a date at all till it's certain.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-08-14 06:50 AM
    OP... I've gotta tell it like it is.
    First, we're talking about a small handheld mobile device that, while convenient, really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.
    Why not take up a hobby that'll take your mind off this,

Take a survey. Put some water in a pot and time how long it take to boil and then watch it boil till it's all gone.
    Then you'll be able to take your results to the makers of your stove, the pot you used and to the water company.

Complaining to all of them should keep your mind in overdrive and you won't have to stare at this website waiting and watching for the Passport.

I'd say, get a live and worry about something important, but that wouldn't be polite.. so i won't say it!

But, really... TOO LONG???

(of course, this is just my opinion, which doesn't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things, either!)

08-08-14 09:42 AM
    IMHO when the CEO was standing there showing it off after the ER and conference call - they announced it. What we are still waiting on now is the release date in our markets (pray that they don't release it as they did the Z10 and it takes 2 months to get to the USA) and all the new phone can do. Chen says he learned from past mistakes. I take him at his word he's been much better than the previous CEO of doing what he says.

In essence BlackBerry told us they were pregnant, now we're waiting to meet the baby
    08-08-14 01:27 PM
    I'm guessing the best we can hope for in the U.S. is that there will be Passports available in limited quanities at U.S. carriers. The Z10/Q10 launch had two lessons:

1. Don't over produce devices. This led to massive inventory write-downs. For the U.S., the BlackBerry market is smaller than in other countries. BlackBerry should focus supplies in those other countries. Perhaps for the U.S. market, BlackBerry should only have pre-orders with no limits and fulfill those only; that way, people in the U.S. that want the Passport can have it and BlackBerry can concentrate supplies in regions that want BlackBerry's more than the U.S.

2. Get the device to the U.S. carriers for testing way in advance of the launch so that it'll be network tested by launch or shortly after. Perhaps give the U.S. carriers an incentive to test it early because carriers obviously don't care about BlackBerry at this point. From postings here, it does sound like the Passport is in testing with U.S. carriers now. The question is whether the testing started early enough for a September U.S. launch.
    08-08-14 02:27 PM
    I'm guessing the best we can hope for in the U.S. is that there will be Passports available in limited quanities at U.S. carriers. The Z10/Q10 launch had two lessons:

1. Don't over produce devices. This led to massive inventory write-downs. For the U.S., the BlackBerry market is smaller than in other countries. BlackBerry should focus supplies in those other countries. Perhaps for the U.S. market, BlackBerry should only have pre-orders with no limits and fulfill those only; that way, people in the U.S. that want the Passport can have it and BlackBerry can concentrate supplies in regions that want BlackBerry's more than the U.S.

2. Get the device to the U.S. carriers for testing way in advance of the launch so that it'll be network tested by launch or shortly after. Perhaps give the U.S. carriers an incentive to test it early because carriers obviously don't care about BlackBerry at this point. From postings here, it does sound like the Passport is in testing with U.S. carriers now. The question is whether the testing started early enough for a September U.S. launch.
    You are repeating the conventional wisdom.

The error were, to parallel your 2

1. Don't release unfinished products, word got out fast, if they were ready who knows how many might have sold

2. Assume nothing, BlackBerry had lost huge amonts of user and vendor goodwill and didn't know. I knew, many people here knew, people were angry and embarrassed already and head office seemed to think they could keep imposing phones on people. BES10 wasn't ready either. Arrogance, hubris, a classic failing

Release finished product and work to get the business. Pretty sure Chen gets this.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    08-08-14 04:41 PM
    You are repeating the conventional wisdom.

The error were, to parallel your 2

1. Don't release unfinished products, word got out fast, if they were ready who knows how many might have sold

2. Assume nothing, BlackBerry had lost huge amonts of user and vendor goodwill and didn't know. I knew, many people here knew, people were angry and embarrassed already and head office seemed to think they could keep imposing phones on people. BES10 wasn't ready either. Arrogance, hubris, a classic failing

Release finished product and work to get the business. Pretty sure Chen gets this.
    I wasn't addressing the general failure of BlackBerry to recognize they were in trouble. That's been discussed ad nauseum. I was addressing how the launch of the Passport should be different than for the Z10/Q10. The first is to just produce enough for the U.S. market. The second is to get the Passport to the carriers early enough so that there's a "global" launch instead of a long delay before the U.S. gets it.

As for not releasing "unfinished products", Apple proved it could be done. The original iPhone didn't have MMS, cut & paste, front facing camera, automated contact list (enter manually), BCC, mark all as read, download all email (only last 200), etc. when companies like Nokia already had them in their devices. Apple controlled expectation.
    Last edited by cbvinh; 08-08-14 at 05:10 PM.
    progguy likes this.
    08-08-14 04:59 PM
71 123