Simultaneous Voice/Data, HD Voice Now Available to Verizon iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Users - Mac Rumors

So Verizon's VoLTE has launched after all. I thought this wasn't coming until next year. What does this mean for the Passport? Is a CDMA-less Verizon phone possible yet? (I bring this up, because as many of you know, we have not seen any evidence of a Passport with CDMA hardware inside).

Am I behind? Or is this worth discussion?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 10:18 AM
    i am fairly certain is was active before the launch last week but not 100% certain. I have seen advertisements for a little while now so I assume it was active
    09-21-14 10:23 AM
    I thought they launched it before Iphone 6..

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 10:53 AM
    I thought what was delayed was launching a VoLTE only device.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 10:56 AM
    I thought what was delayed was launching a VoLTE only device.

Posted via CB10
    This.

What Verizon delayed was their start if selling LTE-only phones, thus phasing out CDMA.
    09-21-14 10:58 AM
    Gotcha, sorry guys.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 11:36 AM
    I friend of mine who work for VZW said last week that voLTE was ready also.

When I asked if we could simply put our Verizon sim cards in a GSM device and have them work he remained silent.

However our conversation was over text and what I asked could have gotten lost in other discussion.

However this thread is getting me as exciting as the retail box thread.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 01:18 PM
    Verizon also stated in their announcement, that VoLTE is only enabled when both ends of the call are on Verizon and both have VoLTE phones. So unless you plan to only call people using Verizon with a brand new phone, you still wouldn't be able to call anybody.
    09-21-14 01:47 PM
    I friend of mine who work for VZW said last week that voLTE was ready also.

When I asked if we could simply put our Verizon sim cards in a GSM device and have them work he remained silent.

However our conversation was over text and what I asked could have gotten lost in other discussion.

However this thread is getting me as exciting as the retail box thread.

Posted via CB10
    Verizon operates on CDMA and ATT On GSM.
    Both are completely different radio technologies... the sim cards and phones ate incompatible.
    You cannot swap sim and use it
    Btw... cdma is licensed by Qualcomm and gsm is a consortium.

Posted via CB10... and my awesome Z10
    09-21-14 09:34 PM
    Both are completely different radio technologies... the sim cards and phones ate incompatible.

I know that. I was just trying to understand how voLTE would work if the phones that are releases that can use that tech.
    09-21-14 10:00 PM

That only applies up to 3G (CDMA EV-DO for data). LTE, used by both ATT and VZW is a GSM technology, which is why you need a SIM card to get LTE even on VZW (before it was only needed if you were going to travel outside of the US and Canada--and was basically useless when on CDMA coverage).

So that's why we're here hoping for VoLTE (which eliminates the need for voice CDMA) to finally cure the woes of buying insular Verizon-only phone models. And more immediately, the lack of any VZW Passport!!!

Posted via CB10
    wnyjackson likes this.
    09-21-14 10:25 PM
    I saw a message somewhere that VoLTE will actually work regardless if what phone you are calling..user claimed to have called a land line successfully. This makes sense. Otherwise it's like saying you can only call another CDMA phone from Verizon, or only another wifi phone if you're calling from wifi.... clearly ridiculous. I'm sure it will work to any phone. Of course you won't have hifi voice if the other phone isn't on LTE -- any more than you could video Skype a land line!

I'm still worried about the omission of a CDMA band in the Passport (at least the model for which specs were released). I mean VoLTE is great, but LTE coverage is not so universal yet...even in Chicago I'm often on areas where I drop down to normal 3G bands... I will be hugely disappointed if Verizon doesn't have the Passport. And my disappointment will be at least as much with BlackBerry as with Verizon!
    Last edited by hbelkin; 09-22-14 at 04:18 PM.
    09-22-14 01:38 PM
    I saw a message somewhere that VoLTE will actually work regardless if what phone you are calling..user claimed to have called a land line successfully. This makes sense. Otherwise it's like saying you can only call another CDMA phone from Verizon, or only another wifi phone if you're calling from wifi.... clearly ridiculous. I'm sure it will work to any phone. Of course you won't have hifi voice if the other phone isn't on LTE -- any more than you could video Skype a land line!

I'm still worried about the omission of a coma band in the Passport (at least the model for which specs were released). I mean VoLTE is great, but LTE coverage is not so universal yet...even in Chicago I'm often on areas where I drop down to normal 3G bands... I will be hugely disappointed if Verizon doesn't have the Passport. And my disappointment will be at least as much with BlackBerry as with Verizon!
    Yeah, it would not be feasible at all for a "work" phone, which is how the Passport (or any BlackBerry, really) is being pushed. My guess is that we either will never get it, or... it will come later. If neither ATT Or T-Mobile officially carry the GSM Passport from the start, then Verizon is really in no need to rush to release their version.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 04:07 PM
    Pic related

VoLTE Launched w/iPhone 6?-img_20140922_171329.png

Posted via CB10
    sunetos likes this.
    09-22-14 04:14 PM