I am currently on an unlimited grandfathered Verizon plan in the US and ordered a Passport through shopblackberry. It is on backorder as most know so I can still cancel the order if needed. I planned on just moving to AT&T when the Passport ships. I do not have too much disposable income at this time, particularly due to someone hitting my vehicle and a $500 deductible pending and am starting to think about canceling the order.

I am not sure when AT&T will carry the Passport, but would be comfortable signing a 2 year contract with them when they sell the device for much less on contract. This would be a much cheaper and easier to swallow option as far as money goes.

The primary issue that prompted this was a search on CB with people reporting no LTE related to the IMEI number for those that do not already have a LTE AT&T SIM card. I called AT&T and spoke with a rep who looked up the phone as I told her it is selling all over except in the US and that they will carry it. She even went to shopblackberry to verify compatibility and said that there should not be an issue.

The monthly plan would be cheaper, but I would be giving up my Verizon unlimited data plan. I have been on that plan for years and the highest I went with my Z30 was 1.9 GB (my sister will be taking my Verizon Z30 over the iPhone 6) so it is mostly for peace of mind which is why I was willing to make the switch, but if the phone will be crippled without LTE I am not sure I should overpay rather than just wait for the official AT&T version.

Who knows when they will get it... could be next week or next year. The rep had no information although AT&T has posted that they will carry the Passport and to stay tuned for information. Anybody make the switch from Verizon and move to AT&T with a new SIM card from them with the Passport's IMEI without issue?

Really not sure what to do now...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 03:44 AM
    When AT&T starts selling the Passport, it's very likely going to be the same Passport that you can buy unlocked and off contract right now, except with AT&T branding. The device has the radios needed to operate on AT&T's 4G LTE network as well as its legacy network. No reason it shouldn't work properly.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to use the Passport now, or wait for AT&T to get its act together and start selling it. That could be a while. At least a few weeks, maybe months. U.S. carriers move sloooooooooowly.

You do know AT&T offers prepaid service, right? You have the option of prepaying for a fixed period of time. No obligation. Do that, get a SIM, put it into the Passport, try activating, and see how the device runs on AT&T's network. Doesn't ShopBlackBerry allow returns within the first fifteen or thirty days? You can get your money back, I presume, if you're not satisfied.
    10-02-14 05:16 AM
    I'm waiting to buy it from ATT, I'm not looking forward to all the bloatware that ATT will fill it with. I hope there will be a way to uninstall it.
    10-02-14 05:22 AM
    When AT&T starts selling the Passport, it's very likely going to be the same Passport that you can buy unlocked and off contract right now, except with AT&T branding.
    Yes, the branded phone will most likely be locked to at&t, of course.
    10-02-14 07:48 AM
    Be careful some have tried to cancel and had no problems while others were told you cannot cancel

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-02-14 07:53 AM
    Thanks guys. The only thing that prompted all of this was someone saying you paid what for a phone, when nowadays you sign a 2 year and the next carrier will buy you out of your contact anyway.

I was also very disappointed that Verizon is not selling for a while with no CDMA version in sight since I have been buying outright to stay on my unlimited data plan so I would be giving that up as well.

All in all I love the device, my sister agreed to take the Z30 over the iPhone 6, but I started searching CB forums and there were a lot of complaints of not getting LTE unless using a LTE SIM card from AT&T such as if I had one from a prior device on their network to use.

I started feeling a little down about it when reading this as I would be brand new to AT&T and using the Passport's IMEI number. I would be pretty frustrated if I am unable to get LTE because they do not recognize the device as was speculated in the forums.

Shopblackberry has a cancel and a return policy as well so that could be an option, but by then I'd have already given up my grandfathered plan. I was shocked with Verizon considering they supported the Z30 and have a ton of business customers.

Who knows when a CDMA version will be out let alone the AT&T launch. It would be nice to hear from anyone who has switched from Verizon and received a new SIM card from AT&T on their Passport without any LTE issues. I do not see why there would be any, as was said it will likely be the same device and it is 100% compatible. Thanks again for the input!

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 09:18 AM
    Further discussion on this topic can be continued in this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...n-imei-964891/
    10-05-14 12:35 AM