I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I was wondering if there is any benefit to buying a phone directly from Blackberry versus buying the phone through my carrier (Verizon) and vice versa? I plan to buy the phone outright, so I'm not worried about an upgrade.

I would assume that I would be able to get it sooner if I buy it directly from Blackberry than waiting for Verizon.

If I buy the a Passport directly from Blackberry I assume I can just take it into Verizon and have them put it on my current plan (assuming that I buy the correct model). Am I wrong?

Thanks!

GBA
    08-06-14 05:06 PM
    Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the phones sold through BlackBerry are GSM only. Meaning they are only compatible with carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile, not Verizon or Sprint.
    08-06-14 05:08 PM
    For Verizon, you have to buy Verizon branded phones, which means you have to pretty much buy them from...Verizon. This is a Verizon (CDMA) issue, rather than a device maker issue.

For the Z10, Q10, and Z30, the versions of these phones that BB sold were not Verizon compatible

Now...the Passport. The model that passed through the FCC is very interesting, in that it has Verizon's LTE band 13. Presence of this band requires Verizon to accept this model if it is released--regardless of the presence of Verizon's CDMA bands. It's a bit of work, but it can be done. Practically, it won't be very useful because Verizon still uses CDMA for voice almost everywhere.
    cgallaer likes this.
    08-06-14 05:09 PM
    Well that stinks, I thought it would be as easy as just taking it to the local Verizon shop.

I guess I'll have to wait just like everyone else!
    08-06-14 05:21 PM
    This is why I ended up leaving my CDMA carrier. You are pretty much at the carriers mercy.
    raino likes this.
    08-06-14 06:01 PM
    This is why I ended up leaving my CDMA carrier. You are pretty much at the carriers mercy.
    The only reason I'm with Verizon is their network coverage.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-06-14 09:33 PM

Ditto.
    08-06-14 10:17 PM

Exactly. I hate Verizon and their pricing but you just can't beat their coverage. It's undeniably the best.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    08-06-14 11:45 PM
    Amazon is selling the Verizon model of the Z10 and Z30.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...UvbUpU10688636

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 04:35 AM
    I have news of a horrible horrible rumor. I spoke to a Verizon rep the other day and he was positive that Verizon would NOT be carrying the Passport. I'm not just talking about them no having display models on the sales floors, but rather that they're not going to offer the Passport at all. Has anyone seen FCC info on a CDMA version of the Passport? I have not, and it's making me sick.
    08-14-14 03:34 PM
    I have news of a horrible horrible rumor. I spoke to a Verizon rep the other day and he was positive that Verizon would NOT be carrying the Passport. I'm not just talking about them no having display models on the sales floors, but rather that they're not going to offer the Passport at all. Has anyone seen FCC info on a CDMA version of the Passport? I have not, and it's making me sick.
    That has been nagging at me too. I hope they have it but ............
    08-14-14 09:32 PM
    ofutur listed the following on one of his threads a while back:

R132 - WindermereNA SQW100-1 NA
    R133 - WindermereVzw SQW100-2 Verizon
    R134 - WindermereSprint Sprint
    R135 - WindermereEMEA EMEA
    Rxxx - WindermereChina China

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 10:17 PM
    I would Prefer Pure Version
    India
    08-15-14 03:35 AM
    I am a mobile novice, but through some research and deduction, it seems like Verizon will carry the passport.

the FCC filing for passport does not list CDMA, but lists LTE band 4, and 13. (4 verizon uses, and 13 it has been rapidly building up for the past 2 years).
    according to fcc
    FCC ID L6ARGY180LW Mobile phone with GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/1900, WCDMA/HSPA FDD 2, 4, 5, LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 13, 17, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth, NFC, FM Radio and GPS. BlackBerry Limited (ID Label/Location Info)

last week (aug 26th) Verizon announced that in the "coming weeks" it plans to roll out VoLTE which would ditch CDMA to carry HD quality voice on the LTE 13 (700 Mgz) band.
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...es-a-high.aspx
    I can only assume that this means that they plan to introduce VoLTE along with the Passport, which is also launching in the "coming weeks".

Again, im not sure on this. Just my speculation. if true, great news. theoretically it means if a phone has LTE 13 band on it, we will be able to use it on verizon regardless of CDMA present on it or not. i say theoretically as i dont know what restrictions they might put on it at VoLTE launch.

hope this gives assurance to verizon users like me, Or i might be completely Wrong.. lol
    Last edited by sourlash; 09-03-14 at 06:29 PM.
    09-03-14 06:07 PM
    Verizon has said that it won't be introducing LTE-only phones until 2016. I can post a link when I'm on my computer, but I think it's a Fierce Wireless article quoting Frank Shammo.

RGY181LW has to be allowed onto Verizon regardless of Verizon CDMA bands being present or not. The question is how useful will it be? Will voLTE be available to it?
    09-03-14 06:12 PM
    i read that article too. it said ti will switch to LTE only in 2016, 2 years after it turns on VoLTE in late 2014
    quote "The carrier's Fran Shammo has revealed at an investor conference that the first phones to rely solely on LTE for calls will be available in the first half of 2016, or just under two years after the launch of LTE voice service in late 2014."

they will turn on VoLTE this year, in 2016 they will have a phone that will have LTE only as a band, no GSM, CDMA, etc, etc, etc. ?
    09-03-14 06:25 PM
    they will turn on VoLTE this year, in 2016 they will have a phone that will have LTE only as a band, no GSM, CDMA, etc, etc, etc. ?
    Verizon to launch VoLTE in Q4, but delays first LTE-only phones to 2016 - FierceWireless

"the Verizon executive said that Verizon will deploy phones without CDMA chipsets in the first half of 2016."

I don't know what their position on GSM/UMTS bands will be. I could see their stance going either way: keep GSM/UMTS bands in tradition of current LTE phones. Take them out to minimize phones' usefulness on AT&T/TMO. Keep in mind, it's ultimately the OEMs' decision on what bands they want to put in phones, but carriers do have "inputs" they provide...especially larger ones like Verizon. They're full of "inputs."
    09-03-14 08:10 PM
    Personally, here in norther NJ, I have a strong Verizon LTE signal almost everywhere. I'd prefer to have the regular CDMA bands as well for those times when I'm in a fringe LTE coverage area, but if Verizon expands their LTE footprint into those fringe areas it might not be necessary to include traditional CDMA.
    09-03-14 10:17 PM
    Once the tri-city announcement on the 24th is over do you think we will know definitively if Verizon is going to carry the Passport?

I'm not talking about an actual release date (although that would be too), but just if Verizon will carry it at all.

I can't imagine that we wouldn't be able to get a clear answer at their world wide announcement, but I have been wrong before (just ask my wife).
    09-04-14 03:58 PM
    Not to rain on the parade, but Verizon's VoLTE roll out is problematic at best. In several spots, they said that VoLTE will only work with other VoLTE phones on verizon. This makes no sense, but it was stated in several places. In addition, Verizon has several loopholes in their agreement to accept other phones. The ink wasn't dry on their agreement to activate third party devices when they blocked the Nexus 7 tablet from connecting. Turns out they still have to be "approved and tested" by verizon for "their" network before they'll give you a sim for it. After the uproar, they "tested" the nexus 7, but you get the idea.......
    09-04-14 06:48 PM
    ...okay...

...so I'll ask the question again..will we know if Verizon will carry the Passport on September 24 or not ?
    09-04-14 11:27 PM
    ...okay...

...so I'll ask the question again..will we know if Verizon will carry the Passport on September 24 or not ?
    Hard to say. I don't recall carrier announcements at prior BB10 device unveilings, but I could be wrong. As it stands right now, there haven't been any announcements, and no Verizon-compatible CDMA Passport through the FCC.
    09-04-14 11:39 PM
    When z10 was announced carriers started to release statements of their support for the device in the hours following the event

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    09-05-14 11:10 AM
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering.
    09-05-14 03:54 PM
    I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but what is the collective opinion of the Crackberry brain trust? Will Verizon carry the Passport much later than everyone else, i.e.: 2Q2015, or will Verizon just never carry it?

I assume we'll know shortly, but I've started to look at some of the leaked photos of the Classic. I have to stay with Verizon, so if the Classic is the only pkb they have for the foreseeable future that will be my only option.

Thanks,

GBA
    09-08-14 03:12 PM