Hello!
    If you are as excited for this wonderful device as I am, you will definitely appreciate the following article. It doesn't say a lot, but it explains a bit about how the keyboard works, without the 'RUMOR' tag on it.

The article gives a bit of information about scrolling on webpages and placing the cursor. The latter really surprised me and struck me as yet another genius, productive feature that will be added to Blackberry 10 software.

Enjoy!

Link: UTB EXCLUSIVE! Hands On With The BlackBerry Passport! | UTB Blogs
    06-21-14 02:30 PM
    It's funny because they're clearly trying to hide it until the actual full announcement, that's why Chen has never been caught actually USING the keyboard. Always just flipping through active frames and what not, never using the keyboard. I think even more people than what did would have taken to it if they had of demo'd it.
    L_ieven, kadthekid, moody and 6 others like this.
    06-21-14 02:58 PM
    It's funny because they're clearly trying to hide it until the actual full announcement, that's why Chen has never been caught actually USING the keyboard. Always just flipping through active frames and what not, never using the keyboard. I think even more people than what did would have taken to it if they had of demo'd it.
    I agree. Maybe if they would have demo'd it, they wouldn't get articles like 'the device makes no sense'. But a lot of websites are positive, though.
    06-21-14 03:21 PM
    I agree. Maybe if they would have demo'd it, they wouldn't get articles like 'the device makes no sense'. But a lot of websites are positive, though.
    Exactly.
    L_ieven likes this.
    06-21-14 03:25 PM
    Hum.... interesting.... very interesting

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    06-21-14 03:28 PM
    So if this keyboard also can function as a trackpad, I think this thing is going to be the thing that brings BlackBerry back.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99, OkieBloke and L_ieven like this.
    06-21-14 03:30 PM
    OK. I know a student who is at BlackBerry. And I have no desire for him to get in trouble so I don't ask him much. (takes a lot of control, I tell ya). But he did tell me about passport after he used it and it was what the UTB guys are saying in their blog. Also he has been an android guy forever and he was gushing about this one. He said it was true innovation. And that it was awesome!

He did say you do have to use 2 hands. So not a one handed classical BlackBerry phone.

I am pretty much getting this.

Posted via CB10
    L_ieven likes this.
    06-21-14 03:31 PM
    Ya, it's certainly not a 'normal' keyboard, lol. The documentation for it is ridiculous.

Attachment 279496
    06-21-14 03:34 PM
    What does this mean? "with the capacitive keys you dont need to reach around the screen to place your cursor"?? Is there a cursor on the full touchscreen bb?

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    L_ieven likes this.
    06-21-14 03:37 PM
    Ya, it's certainly not a 'normal' keyboard, lol. The documentation for it is ridiculous.

Attachment 279496
    I'm sorry, Bla1ze, but I cannot open your attachement . The site says it's an invalid file or something.
    06-21-14 03:38 PM
    I'm sorry, Bla1ze, but I cannot open your attachement . The site says it's an invalid file or something.
    Try this, different embed. It's a bunch of developer mumbo jumbo but you'll get the point... it's far from normal.

Wigley458, dmlis, Revocc and 3 others like this.
    06-21-14 03:39 PM
    What does this mean? "with the capacitive keys you dont need to reach around the screen to place your cursor"?? Is there a cursor on the full touchscreen bb?

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    When you are using a Z10/30/3, to edit a word in the middle of a text or sentence, you have to touch that part to let a cursor appear. That cursor you have to slide around on your screen to get it in the desired position to make the edit. With the Passport, to make the cursor appear, you just have to double tap the keyboard and to get it to the desired spot, you can use the keyboard as a trackpad. Pretty nifty, if you ask me.
    06-21-14 03:41 PM
    If the keyboard is capacitive, this must mean that you'll have physical keys to press on, but you don't actually have to "press" them in, and imagine if they provide tactile feedback while typing (like a little vibration or shock etc)

This phone and the innovative keyboard is going to kick so much a** when it comes out.

Posted via CB10
    L_ieven, smart548, wincyUt and 1 others like this.
    06-21-14 03:41 PM
    Try this, different embed. It's a bunch of developer mumbo jumbo but you'll get the point... it's far from normal.

http://i.imgur.com/SVIVTV4.jpg
    Wowsas. As I'm not a developer, I cannot make any sense out of this at first glance, but indeed, it's too complicated for 'just' a QWERTY keyboard. Thanks for the share!
    06-21-14 03:42 PM
    Okay, I get it with all the swipes and navigation gestures. But what about basic things like typing digits and commas, etc? Is it going to be easy or somehow cumbersome?
    L_ieven likes this.
    06-21-14 03:43 PM
    If the keyboard is capacitive, this must mean that you'll have physical keys to press on, but you don't actually have to "press" them in, and imagine if they provide tactile feedback while typing (like a little vibration or shock etc)

This phone and the innovative keyboard is going to kick so much a** when it comes out.

Posted via CB10
    I think being able to press actual keys is already very tactile.
    jsong24 likes this.
    06-21-14 03:45 PM
    Okay, I get it with all the swipes and navigation gestures. But what about basic things like typing digits and commas, etc? Is it going to be easy or somehow cumbersome?
    sadly, the article does not say anything about that, as they also want to keep it as secretive as possible. But we will get more information about that, I'm sure.
    06-21-14 03:46 PM
    After reading the weekend coder. I think we will have 3 soft programmable buttons just like alt shift and sym and the keyboard will work like a trackpad
    Bla1ze likes this.
    06-21-14 04:32 PM
    Interesting indeed... I'm not a keyboard guy, but this is very intriguing. At the very least, the keyboard will turn some heads when it's finally officially demo'd.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 04:48 PM
    Click on the upper left side of the phone and then select by sliding over the Keyboard.
    Last edited by ESCON; 06-21-14 at 06:05 PM.
    06-21-14 05:02 PM
    Wowsas. As I'm not a developer, I cannot make any sense out of this at first glance, but indeed, it's too complicated for 'just' a QWERTY keyboard. Thanks for the share!
    The implementation needs to suports:
    Different keyboard layouts (DVorak vs standard not to mention whatever China would use). The autocomplete dictionaries are different. And more.
    06-21-14 06:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is my perfect physical keyboard.
    06-21-14 06:57 PM
    No new info here.

The unique keyboard was already reported on back in February and again a few weeks ago..............

http://bgr.com/2014/02/19/blackberry...vealed-photos/

BlackBerry Windermere Photos Leak, Revealing Hideous New Smartphone | BGR
    zocster, howarmat and James Nieves like this.
    06-21-14 07:46 PM
    I should poke around the patent filings.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-21-14 07:58 PM
    It's still 3 months away, so while it must be close to ready for prime time, it may not be 100% yet. If Chen demo'd it and it didn't work as intended, that would be more unnecessary bad press for BlackBerry.

If they play this right, the first demos of this keyboard may actually hit the press and make a positive impression just before it goes on sale.

I can't wait to actually see this phone. I'm excited by the screen size and the ease of document reading (coupled with a physical keyboard) , so anything else is a bonus.

Not sure about the new design, but I'm sure it's easier to get used to than a touch-screen keyboard.

I'm starting my Passport fund now so that when it does come out hopefully I'll be able to justify picking one up.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 09:06 PM
45 12