You can set up speed dial from the PP keypad. Select a Key by holding it down and then assign contact from pop up screen.

BlackBerry Passport and loving it!
    03-07-15 12:46 PM
    In all honesty I don't understand why some people refuse to understand that some people have to use there phone in the car. The voice assistant is not going to work even Google now is not on a level where you can rely on it it ends up dialing wrong people that causes problems and is more of a distraction then just dialing the number. As far as the pp I don't have one but played with one in store and that was the deciding factor for me to get the classic I could not handle the pp one handed. All I can say is good luck that beast is wide lol

Posted via CB10
    Even if your a doctor, cop, lawyer, emt there is no reason to use a phone in the car...no one is that important and besides we did ok 20 years ago without cellphones regardless of need didn't we?

As to ops question I have my phone synced to my 2013 CRV and it works as advertised. All my contacts are at the steering wheel control and all I do is hit the speak button and say the name. It automatically dials the number for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 12:52 PM
    I'm an analog gut I still use the tape deck to connect my BlackBerry to the car lol

Posted via CB10
    hyc121 and alternator77 like this.
    03-10-15 09:45 PM
    Actually I find that using the nickname for your "hard to understand by assistant" contacts works like a charm. You can then use the assistant to dial them. There are also websites which can convert the hard to understand names to phonetic versions which can be again used as nicknames for each contact.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 10:55 PM
    I use my Plantronics Legend and BlackBerry Assistant. Even though the Legend has connection issues, coupled with Assistant, I rarely have to hold or even touch my Passport. Besides phone calls I've composed and sent text messages, listened to email and voice mail, and even asked for directions, all without picking up or looking at my phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    I am using the Plantronics Legend myself and it's also much more convenient. But one thing to be sure is that it's FREAKING DIFFICULT for people without English as their first language. Your contacts' name are not in english, so I couldn�t regconize any of them when the headset speaks, I couldn�t get the phone to dial since it can't regconize the names, and believe me, dialing by speaking out numbers wont work, I've tried a lot of times and finally gave up.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 11:29 PM
    How do you create a nickname? I looked through the edit page for one of my contacts and couldn't see a field called 'nickname' nor was ther the option to add such a field. Am I just missing it somewhere?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 11:36 AM
    If you have paired your phone to the car, Assistant works like a charm. I have a 2015 Honda Accord V6 with Navi and Blackberry Assistant comes up as an entry in my Contact List allowing me to activate it by voice control.
    Same thing with Mercedes-Benz Audio 20.
    I imported the (+2000) contacts and usually dial with the on-screen interface.

Home, office, GF cell are also on the car speed dial.

Mostly French names but Assistant gets it right 50% of the time.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 11:48 AM
    How do you create a nickname? I looked through the edit page for one of my contacts and couldn't see a field called 'nickname' nor was ther the option to add such a field. Am I just missing it somewhere?

Posted via CB10
    I think they mean to create in the contact list a nickname.

Instead of H�pital v�t�rinaire Housart, create an entry named Vet, with the phone number.

Then Assistant will more easily get it.

Posted via CB10
    polgara59 likes this.
    03-13-15 11:51 AM
    Ah, that makes sense! Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 01:57 PM
    Besides the obvious point that taking your eyes off the road for anything is a bad idea. An option like on the iPhone 6 where you tap the home button twice the screen shrinks down to the bottom half of the screen would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 08:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually you can add a nickname to each of your contacts: select a contact, then edit, then add field in the bottom, select name details, and then you will find the new added field just below the last name, select nickname from the list and add the text that you want for that contact's nickname.

Posted via CB10
    suzicat and Marauder2 like this.
    03-15-15 09:47 PM
    Actually you can add a nickname to each of your contacts: select a contact, then edit, then add field in the bottom, select name details, and then you will find the new added field just below the last name, select nickname from the list and add the text that you want for that contact's nickname.

Posted via CB10
    Which still doesn't work with Assistant when I say Call <nickname>. I still get asked to select a contact from several offered. I was hoping this would work because I have a couple of contacts whose names don't translate well phonetically.
    03-15-15 10:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Great tip! I would have never found that probably.
    03-15-15 11:29 PM
    Knesz - Don't be an ***** and try to dial a phone while driving. I personally don't care if you kill yourself, but people like you kill others when doing this.
    People also die from people operating the radio. Ban those yet?

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 11:40 PM
    I am renting different cars and have to say: get a good mount for your PP, allowing it to be easily reachable.

Thanks to the intelligent assistant and the keyboard, I don't need to take my eyes off the road to type the name of the contact to call.

The integrated solutions by most car manufacturers are not refined enough to be used in a safer manner than that.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 12:15 AM
    I am renting different cars and have to say: get a good mount for your PP, allowing it to be easily reachable.

Thanks to the intelligent assistant and the keyboard, I don't need to take my eyes off the road to type the name of the contact to call.

The integrated solutions by most car manufacturers are not refined enough to be used in a safer manner than that.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, good mount is a necessary and I ordered one from Proclip.
    But I do miss smart dialer from android devices.
    I thought that I will have long learning curve for keyboard and typing, but it looks like it is longer for basic phone operations, that is dialing
    Point is, that voice assistant for non English users is basically useless.
    I will take a chance for being lectured again, but usually I make a calls for peoples that are business partners and it is impossible to make a nickname for each of them.
    03-16-15 01:15 AM
    Yes, good mount is a necessary and I ordered one from Proclip.
    But I do miss smart dialer from android devices.
    I thought that I will have long learning curve for keyboard and typing, but it looks like it is longer for basic phone operations, that is dialing
    Point is, that voice assistant for non English users is basically useless.
    I will take a chance for being lectured again, but usually I make a calls for peoples that are business partners and it is impossible to make a nickname for each of them.
    I am using the the intelligent assistant for my smart dial needs. There is nothing better than to just type the name of an app, part of an email or anything else you want into a central interface.

Since I have the physical keyboard, I do not care about the smart dial features anymore. But I know exactly what you mean!

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 01:23 AM
    That's where Assistant comes in again and does it better then Android. Swipe up to home screen and just type out the first few letters of the person you want to call and it will show up the contact and you hit their phone number to dial. Example for Roger you type "RO" and it will pull up all the Roger in one list with their phone numbers.

Well, I didn't say that I don't have bluetooth instalation in my car. I do. The problem that I have is, that it is hard to pickup contact and dial it.
    On my nexus phone, there was smart dialer, wich helped me to dial desired contact by hitting coresponding numbers in dialer and auto predictions did the rest. On blackberry I am forced to use contacts tab in order to find and dial contact.
    That is one of the rare things, that android have better solved.
    And yes, it is convenient to make calls during 3 - 4 hours driving.
    03-16-15 01:54 AM
    I have a Hyundai i10 2014 model which has some of the integrated fun filled toys like Bluetooth.

I connect my phone up to it and I can control bits of it from the steering wheel. I mainly use it for listening to music via Spotify and also for calling, in this case the car has the voice commands integrated.

On Spotify it also allows control of back and forward controls which is useful.

I did have a weird issue when I first got the Passport where the car would keep saying "Device Busy" or similar but I've been unable to replicate this since, it's possible that upgrading the OS helped in this regards.
    03-16-15 07:02 AM
    1500 contacts. You expect us to remember the numbers ?. I have my pp on the dash, use z30 to call...

Posted via Z30 or Red Passport.
    03-16-15 07:26 AM
    Which still doesn't work with Assistant when I say Call <nickname>. I still get asked to select a contact from several offered. I was hoping this would work because I have a couple of contacts whose names don't translate well phonetically.
    Are you running 10.3.1 or 10.2.1? Also did you try the phonetic spelling of the names:
    http://www.pronouncenames.com/

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 08:53 PM
    Are you running 10.3.1 or 10.2.1? Also did you try the phonetic spelling of the names:
    Pronounce Names - Dictionary of Name Pronunciation, How to say or pronounce names, Name pronunciation website

Posted via CB10
    10.3.1 and the nickname is very easy to say phonetically which is the whole point of using one.
    03-16-15 10:27 PM
    I use a plantronics edge and the voice recognition and typing features of my Passport. No one knows I am driving unless I tell them, and I don't have a quiet car (flying brick Land Rover). I also use speed dials for outgoing calls.

I agree that typing on a Passport while driving is basically impossible to do safely and I can palm a basketball.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 11:27 PM
    I should add that Blackberry voice recognition is, in a louder vehicle, slower but FAR more accurate than Android's.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 11:29 PM
    I use a plantronics edge and the voice recognition and typing features of my Passport. No one knows I am driving unless I tell them, and I don't have a quiet car (flying brick Land Rover). I also use speed dials for outgoing calls.

I agree that typing on a Passport while driving is basically impossible to do safely and I can palm a basketball.

Posted via CB10

Charlie - Would you mind sharing which particular model of the Plantronics Edge that you're using?

Many thanks,
    Tim
    03-23-15 10:26 PM
85 1234