Those eagerly awaiting the official version of BB OS 3.3.3 often read here that 'release date depends on their carrier/network'. I wonder how this works for devices that have no SIM cards in them?

Does the phone 'remember' most recent SIM, and carrier's/network's release date applies anyway? Or, some other rule kicks in?

Though I moved to DTEK60, I'd like to keep my SIM-less Passport SE up-to-date.
    02-13-17 10:52 AM
    I have many different BlackBerry 10 devices and it got updates without sim card. My unlocked UK version devices never received the updates including att passport. Where did get your phone?
    02-13-17 11:31 AM
    With out a SIM card, you can update thru link. Or at least I've been able to in the past.
    02-13-17 12:44 PM
    My Passport was updated via wifi.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163 
    02-13-17 01:18 PM
    Both my Passport and Z30 updated through WiFi even though I only keep a sim card in the Passport.
    There shouldn't be any issue -- and I think especially if you bought your BlackBerry direct.
    02-13-17 03:17 PM
    Yeah they can update through WiFi. The phones are setup for each particular carrier and doesn't matter with the Sim card.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 03:26 PM
    Thanks All! Let me be clearer with my question...

I know updating via WiFi is going to work. My question is *when* the 10.3.3 update is going to be available for a phone that doesn't have a SIM card in it.

The carrier is not going to push the update notofication my way -- at least not via wireless. I'm regularly checking for updates 'manually' - no joy.
    02-13-17 09:12 PM
    I have many different BlackBerry 10 devices and it got updates without sim card. My unlocked UK version devices never received the updates including att passport. Where did get your phone?
    I got my unlocked Passport from one of the online resellers in the UK.
    02-13-17 09:15 PM
    With out a SIM card, you can update thru link. Or at least I've been able to in the past.
    What link?
    02-13-17 09:15 PM
    He means blackberry link. Can do through there or head over to the leakded os section and download from there.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 09:41 PM
    I just got my passport today and it updated to 3.3.1 without a Sim. I don't get my Sim card until later this week to find out if I'll get the update to 3.3.3
    02-13-17 10:03 PM
    I got my unlocked Passport from one of the online resellers in the UK.
    I didn't find any UK devices receiving updates so you're not alone.
    JJonPB likes this.
    02-13-17 11:18 PM
    He means blackberry link. Can do through there or head over to the leakded os section and download from there.
    Oh, I see: both of you actually meant Blackberry Link
    02-13-17 11:26 PM
    Thanks All! Let me be clearer with my question...

I know updating via WiFi is going to work. My question is *when* the 10.3.3 update is going to be available for a phone that doesn't have a SIM card in it.

The carrier is not going to push the update notofication my way -- at least not via wireless. I'm regularly checking for updates 'manually' - no joy.
    This is how it works in Europe. Although we're not bound to carriers in the same way the majority of American users do, it was told me once (by an employee of my old carrier) that every BlackBerry smartphone has some sort of carrier "imprinting". For example, I'm a Wind user, but my Z10 had a Tim (an Italian carrier) boot-logo, meaning that Tim would come into play if I were to update without my SIM card. I think we can safely assume that every BlackBerry not bought via the BlackBerry shop ought to have a starting carrier.
    JJonPB likes this.
    02-15-17 03:13 AM
    This is how it works in Europe. Although we're not bound to carriers in the same way the majority of American users do, it was told me once (by an employee of my old carrier) that every BlackBerry smartphone has some sort of carrier "imprinting". For example, I'm a Wind user, but my Z10 had a Tim (an Italian carrier) boot-logo, meaning that Tim would come into play if I were to update without my SIM card. I think we can safely assume that every BlackBerry not bought via the BlackBerry shop ought to have a starting carrier.
    Very useful, thanks!

I bought the Passport unlocked with one of the online retailers in the UK. I did a virgin setup and happily used the phone with a Hong Kong carrier's SIM card. And now, I have it connected via WiFi only (since the said SIM card sits in my DTEK60). When I manually check for updates, it comes back saying I have 'the latest software available'.

It would be interesting to see what carrier is actually 'imprinted' in (on?...) my Passport's belly: some UK network? the HK network I first set up the phone with? or, some random carrier? (there's no carrier boot-logo showing). Is there a way to check that?
    02-15-17 04:20 AM
    Very useful, thanks!

I bought the Passport unlocked with one of the online retailers in the UK. I did a virgin setup and happily used the phone with a Hong Kong carrier's SIM card. And now, I have it connected via WiFi only (since the said SIM card sits in my DTEK60). When I manually check for updates, it comes back saying I have 'the latest software available'.

It would be interesting to see what carrier is actually 'imprinted' in (on?...) my Passport's belly: some UK network? the HK network I first set up the phone with? or, some random carrier? (there's no carrier boot-logo showing). Is there a way to check that?
    Mh, I'd say "imprinted in", but English isn't my mother tongue unfortunately hahahaha. Well, let's see. If what I said is correct, the online shop should have stated which carrier was your phone manufactured for. If not (which is very likely), your phone's Vendor ID can clear your doubts. Nevertheless, users around the net reported that BB 10 devices always show a 0 or ? Vendor ID (accessible typing escreen:// in the browser), which means that, contrary to what happened with BB OS legacy devices, the actual vendor is hidden. Try and check, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to find it.
    The only rational lead you can follow is to make a list of every UK carrier, check on a reliable source (CrackBerry) which of them already released the OS 10.3.3 update and try and guess your "imprinted vendor" by isolating the ones who still haven't delivered it. It's very unlikely that your smartphone was imported. Even if it will take time, I suppose Chinese carriers don't even know what a BlackBerry is (let alone updating them), so you would anyway end up updating without SIM card (you can also use an official autoloader, though!).
    Last edited by Power Mac; 02-15-17 at 04:51 AM.
    02-15-17 04:39 AM
    Mh, I'd say "imprinted in", but English isn't my mother tongue unfortunately hahahaha. Well, let's see. If what I said is correct, the online shop should have stated which carrier was your phone manufactured for. If not (which is very likely), your phone's Vendor ID can clear your doubts. Nevertheless, users around the net reported that BB 10 devices always show a 0 or ? Vendor ID (accessible typing escreen:// in the browser), which means that, contrary to what happened with BB OS legacy devices, the actual vendor is hidden. Try and check, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to find it.
    The only rational lead you can follow is to make a list of every UK carrier, check on a reliable source (CrackBerry) which of them already released the OS 10.3.3 update and try and guess your "imprinted vendor" by isolating the ones who still haven't delivered it. It's very unlikely that your smartphone was imported. Even if it will take time, I suppose Chinese carriers don't even know what a BlackBerry is (let alone updating them), so you would anyway end up updating without SIM card (you can also use an official autoloader, though!).
    You were right: my Passport is showing 'Vendor ID: 0'... I will keep checking for updates from time to time -- after all, it's my auxiliary phone now :-)

And, Hong Kong carriers *do* know what BlackBerry is: I was getting all updates pushed to my Passport in a timely fashion. Same with Z10. So, no issue with that.
    02-15-17 08:42 AM