As the title says, I've an opportunity to trade my beloved BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition for the nexus 5x. While I love the passport and bb10 OS, I'm concerned about the longevity of BB10. No one knows how long it'll be supported. It might be on its last leg.

I don't particularly like android - had the galaxy s3 when it came out and then switched to bb10. Bought the BlackBerry Priv and returned it coz of android. But with the vanilla android on nexus 5x I'm considering it.

My main requirement is a stable and fully functional email client like the one BlackBerry has. Does the Gmail client on nexus 5x support exchange email account in addition to the Gmail?

Any comments for a BlackBerry user who's considering a move to android??

PS. I've also posted this in android central to get some opinions from nexus users
    12-14-15 10:53 AM
    Hi, that is an interesting question indeed. I will 'answer' your question with another one: what do you need you smartphone for?
    I have used android since HTC Z, had several android smartphones since then and after being one of the first people who owned ONEPLUS One, I have bought the BlackBerry Passport (now SE edition).
    While I like and enjoy the relative 'freedom' of android OS and the possibilities it gives me when rooted, and still love my ONEPLUS, I have to admit that BlackBerry 10 OS is all I need to remain highly productive, while being secure enough without tinkering to allow my work (I work in biomedical science and medicinal engineering, so security is of importance).
    I got used to passport with its hardware keyboard very fast and as I have not much use for games on my own phone (I have my workstation for that), and all apps I need and use daily work on OS 10, there is no need for me to switch.
    If you want games, special apps or fancy features / possibility to tune your OS, go for the Nexus. If you don't need any of these features, then...
    Regarding the future of the BlackBerry OS, I don't have a definite answer. However, I doubt that BlackBerry will drop it that fast. They have contracts with industries and governments and they still will want further updates and security fixes (at least). Probably we won't see many new features, unless naturally the priv and the Vienna will sell well, then we may see some additions to the BlackBerry 10 OS besides 'just' fixes and security updates.
    I would say that a BlackBerry 10-Smartphone will be still OK next year. What will happen after? No idea...

To your Android question, the native email client is OK. Not really that great, but it's functional. If you did not like the priv that you may dislike the nexus as well. The priv experience is very close to native, pure AOSP (with some quite nice BlackBerry tweaks imo).
    How does android 6 marshmallow perform and feel, I however do not know...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Narhim; 12-14-15 at 11:54 AM.
    12-14-15 11:44 AM
    Thanks for your response. I only use phone mainly for communication - email, text and browsing. Not a big app user other than banking apps which I can get it via snap on my BB10. That's why I keep coming back to bb10 every time I try a new phone (Priv and then lumia 950).

But being a phone addict doesn't help!! That's why I'm looking at nexus 5x now. Even if I get it, most likely I'll return it and come back to bb10.
    12-14-15 12:33 PM
    I would just say keep your Passport if you are happy with it.

If you didn't like the android that you tested on the Priv you won't like the Nexus either.

Both if them are (almost) vanilla android.

You can disable everything on a Priv and get the Google Now Launcher to make it stock Android.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    12-14-15 12:36 PM
    Thanks for your response. I only use phone mainly for communication - email, text and browsing. Not a big app user other than banking apps which I can get it via snap on my BB10. That's why I keep coming back to bb10 every time I try a new phone (Priv and then lumia 950).

But being a phone addict doesn't help!! That's why I'm looking at nexus 5x now. Even if I get it, most likely I'll return it and come back to bb10.
    Well, your passport will be just as awesome two years from now, even without any further update (but 10.3.3 is due in march anyway).
    So why change if it works for you?

Posted via the sexy black Panther
    12-14-15 12:50 PM
    I went from a Passport SE to a Note 5. The SE was a communications beast, and the Note 5 has much better app support, Google integration and a much bigger screen.

There are times I miss my SE. Let me know if you're in the GTA... I could be tempted to switch back

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 02:25 PM