I love my passport. I've used every phone os and and have come back again and again to OS 10.3 and ADORE my Passport. So this isn't a whine. I'll have this passport for the next year and won't think about leaving.

What kills me though is why, why do things never "just work" with Blackberry?

Some examples, I try to back up using Link, it works some times, most times it doesn't, failing or losing connection after a while.

I move files over using blend, he first few go, then it stops working.

I open the Podcasts app, the official made for BB10 one. 3 Gigs of Ram, super high end device and it can lag for 6 or 7 seconds at times when going to episode lists. Like a iPhone 3G or Galaxy 2 and a millon miles short of its specs and 2014.

And this is a core part of the Blackberry experience for as long as I can remember. The iPhone 6 just works, the newer Androids just work, blackberries are more "nuanced".

I know people will disagree. I remember asking why Blackberries takes so long to boot up and people on here were saying "no it's the same as Android and iOS "I've timed it" or others "that's because iphones and androids never really shut off fully and if they did they would take just as long" and others "well that's all the security stuff kicking in". Well, maybe so, but for as long as I can remember Blackberries are slower to boot and the desktop software makes moving movies and music over a real adventure.
    Timbosaurus, andy957 and EsJayDee like this.
    11-15-14 08:31 PM
    It seems these issues seem to be specific to you... I use nobex and have no problems with lag... and believe it or not... I have never had connection issues with my passport and computer... I'm running windows 7
    11-15-14 08:39 PM
    I'm the unluckiest guy in the history of Blackberry
    11-15-14 08:41 PM
    I too always come back to my q10 and now passport. I have all the other high end phones the htc one m8 the ip6 the lumia 1520 the Moto X, but I like blackberry most. The only thing that I really really hate about the BB is the Wechat app, the native one sucks big time and the android one lags too much! They said they will not update the native wechat because the users is too small compare to android and ios, even the WP one is way better than the BB10 one. I feel said because I only want to use BB10 but I heavily live on Wechat.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    11-15-14 08:47 PM
    Not very related to the OP, but I just wanted to say that with BlackBerry, it's always a "workaround" game.

Still love them.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-15-14 08:53 PM
    This is exactly it! There's always the need for a workaround. So much amazing quality in build and innovation and yet never a seamless hassle free experience. This, to me, speaks to the culture of the company. Ironically Apple gets lauded for innovation when, in my opinion, they only copy, from Xerox with the mac to the HTC all touch slabs the iPhone mimicked. The thing Steve Jobs company did well was an obsessive attention to making things work with the small stuff, this came from him having a background in typography. I'd just love if my Passport worked with Blend and Link every time perfectly, I'd love if every app just worked perfectly, no stange lags sometimes, I'd love if it booted fast and didn't take 20 minutes to restore from a wipe.

I'm happy anyway, but it's a shame to think of how many gave up because of the lack of attention to these things which seems to be endemic to the culture of RIM/Blackberry.
    andy957, GeoK and EsJayDee like this.
    11-15-14 10:02 PM
    I don't know why you are having the issues with Blend but you may want to keep in mind if your are using the wifi to connect to BlackBerry blend the make sure you do not have a thick case on your Passport as this may cause issues with the wifi antena on your Passport the antena is located on the upper left side of the phone about where the top bezel and the screen meet. You you can actually block it with your hand if you hold it right. So if you are using a thick case like a otterbox that may cause problems. I hope this help.

Posted from my Crackberry 10 App on Blackberry Passport
    11-15-14 10:24 PM
    This is exactly it! There's always the need for a workaround. So much amazing quality in build and innovation and yet never a seamless hassle free experience. This, to me, speaks to the culture of the company. Ironically Apple gets lauded for innovation when, in my opinion, they only copy, from Xerox with the mac to the HTC all touch slabs the iPhone mimicked. The thing Steve Jobs company did well was an obsessive attention to making things work with the small stuff, this came from him having a background in typography. I'd just love if my Passport worked with Blend and Link every time perfectly, I'd love if every app just worked perfectly, no stange lags sometimes, I'd love if it booted fast and didn't take 20 minutes to restore from a wipe.

I'm happy anyway, but it's a shame to think of how many gave up because of the lack of attention to these things which seems to be endemic to the culture of RIM/Blackberry.
    Sorry if you're having issues. Before blaming it on the entire culture of Blackberry you should make sure your USB is connected properly?

Haha just joking but I'm not sure it's fair to blame an entire company and its culture are you put it, based upon your own personal frustrations.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 10:49 PM
    You make a fair point. BB10 is a great OS. I think these on-and-off random hiccups are a characteristic of BlackBerry trying to find a balance between their solid enterprise culture and the make-it-easy approach of Apple and (subsequently) Android. To that end, they seem to have chosen to write their modern, user-friendly from scratch instead of trusting their decades of software foundation in QNX, BB OS and other assets.

QNX has been demonstrated capable of booting a fully 3D accelerated OS in under 10s. Features such as screen rotation and camera shutter can be much smoother and instantaneous considering the real-time OS that runs BB10. Device backups should be a no-brainer for a company built on providing software security.

I love BB 10 and feel there's a lot in place to make it a near-perfect platform. I'm glad to see our John Chen taking a stronger focus on enterprise because it means they'll probably be improving the standards of our OS and infrastructure.
    11-15-14 11:25 PM
    Not to discount your issues, but I face none of these problems with my Passport. I've never had an issue backing up with link (though I do think it's an awful application) or transferring stuff with Blend, though I don't use the app so I can't comment on that one. It's also good to remember that BB10 is still relatively young, but it has come a long way and hopefully has a much longer life ahead.

Straight outta CB10
    11-15-14 11:45 PM
    Hello. Can I ask you where did you find the PODCASTS official app?. All podcasts app sucks on BlackBerry. Can you tell me where to find the official one on passport!!

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 02:23 AM
    I'll agree with OP on those several hiccups BlackBerry 10 has. But I kinda took it as part and parcel of owning a BlackBerry 10 device. Q10 reboots when placed down? Oh it's coz the backdoor is loose; reported in crackberry. Random restarts on Q10 / Passport? Yeap, "normal" as this problem was reported to occur on BlackBerry 10 OS. Sudden battery drainage? That's BBM right there. These issues are to me like signatures of OS 10.

Is it annoying? Depends on the timing. Does it reflect poorly on the brand? Yep, but I still chose this brand KNOWING of those kinks. Also, I'm of the opinion that technology isn't all perfect. It is man-made you know, and we're imperfect.
    End of story, we chose this device /brand maybe coz we thought(or accept) we could deal with its shortcomings.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 04:23 AM
    I don't know or use we chat, but it says on it download site...it doesn't list all the blackberries.Maybe that's why it is a problem.

the native, blackberry app. I never had a problem with it, not even the video part. Ran so well on my Z10, now I can't wait to use it on my Passport.

I too always come back to my q10 and now passport. I have all the other high end phones the htc one m8 the ip6 the lumia 1520 the Moto X, but I like blackberry most. The only thing that I really really hate about the BB is the Wechat app, the native one sucks big time and the android one lags too much! They said they will not update the native wechat because the users is too small compare to android and ios, even the WP one is way better than the BB10 one. I feel said because I only want to use BB10 but I heavily live on Wechat.
    11-16-14 07:25 AM
    BlackBerry's software fu is a little weak right now. For me, though, the email experience of the Passport is worth the hassles and workarounds.

But not always. For example, for forums I still use tapatalk on my iPhone. The alternatives are still absurdly annoying compared to this.

This does somewhat undermine the argument that BB is for busy people getting stuff done. I don't know that reinstalling an OS (which I've done twice on my Passport already) is really getting stuff done. It's more of a hobby, really.

BTW, I wish we would put the iSheep meme to bed now. If any group of users is slavishly devoted to a brand, it's probably the ones who put up with all the workarounds, reinstalls, patching, etc.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    FrankIAm likes this.
    11-16-14 07:55 AM
    It's funny because I've had the exact opposite experience as the OP. Everything just works. Love how the Assistant goes into voice-activated mode when the phone connects to the car -- very smart! Blend has been perfect, and Link seems pretty slick too.
    11-16-14 09:02 AM
    Apologies, it's not the official app, it's called Podcasts and it's by Joshua Netterfield.
    11-16-14 11:54 AM
    This is all very encouraging. I assumed it was the software because I've tried with 3 different computers and 2 different passports and moving across music and movies is always hit and miss. But maybe it's something on my end and adding something to the passport from link etc is as easy as dragging and dropping onto an external drive (Android) or syncing with iTunes. This has not though been my experience at all. But hopefully it's something on my end
    11-16-14 11:57 AM
    20 minutes after a wipe is too much? Smh the amount of system dad's being restored is in the gb. Not even sure where the complaining is coming from there.

Btw while I generally agree with the op about BlackBerry not 100%, you'd be surprised to go to android central and I more and realize there are also people there with troubles with their devices..smh it's a software. General knowledge will tell you regardless of how much attention you pay to detail, there's always a bug to fix. It's just part of coding

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    11-16-14 12:40 PM
    I have to agree with the OP to some extent. I had to reboot my passport a few times because various minor issues I encountered during my use. I had to restart once because all the sudden my screen flashed green neon color when I was trying to use the camera. The other time, I was switching the calendar display back and forth, and the screen stated to flicker and stop responding. The other time, I downloaded an app, and installed it and once I opened it, I got a black screen.

But, lets be honest here. I don't think iOS and Android isn't completely bug free either. I had my ipad quit on me more than few occasions. And, yikes, android phones, unless you are using the bloatware free nexus, I spent more time, trying troubleshooting than using the phone.

I completely understand, you spend a hefty amount for a phone and you expect to be flawless. I completely agree with you.

Truth is, I have been using my passport for more than three weeks now. I am using the phone more than ever before ( since it became my ipad replacement) I restarted the about 4 times. I find that acceptable.

Posted with my super duper BlackBerry Passport.
    11-16-14 02:15 PM
    I am having the same "random" hiccups. I am new to blackberry. Never held one till my PP. I wanted to try something new for work email ect for my business. I have had my phone for 1 week and 2 days. In that time I have had:
    *No MMS text messages working (fixed it with the help of google and voodoo) Check my post history for my fix.
    *The passport completely froze then rebooted by itself when i was rearranging icons on the home page.
    * Then today the video streaming player stopped working( No internet video would load on webpages, fast tunes app, affected all apps and browser) This was fixed once i rebooted the phone.
    None of these are major but I do feel like my HTC One M7 was way more stable. I only rebooted it once every few months!!
    My first android phone was a Note 1 and Yes it was laggy and buggy but my HTC One M7 was super stable. I am trying to convey that Android is not nearly as bad as everyone states.
    I switched bc of email and wanting to test out Blackberry for my companies BYOP.
    Don't get me wrong i love the PP and I refused to do work emails on my HTC one M7 but the stability (and native app gap) leaves much to be desired.
    I am hopeful for the 10.3.1 official update for the PP.
    The Hub is awesome and the emailing is amazing on this phone. I am fearful that once apple and google have copied this feature bb 10 will be in hot water.
    11-16-14 03:25 PM