I cannot count how many Passport reviews I've read lately... mostly from non-blackberry users... in which the writer mentions a "learning curve" in using the keyboard. It's almost like the Passport's keyboard and the words "learning curve" have become the go-to buzz words for anyone writing a review of the phone. I seriously don't get it. What the heck is so hard about using the keyboard? I've had my Passport for only a few days and I find the keyboard to be very intuitive and quite easy to use. I cranked out my first email with no problem. I was too busy thinking about the content of my email to even realize I was flying away on the keyboard.

Sure, sure... I agree... it will take some time to learn all of the "tricks" of the keyboard, but most of these bloggers act like it takes 17 days in order to type an normal email. I swear, someone reading a review could easily walk away with the impression that it's nearly impossible to type an email on the Passport... when the truth is... it's incredibly easy to use it for exactly what it is - a freaking keyboard!!! You want an 'a'? Then press the 'a'. You want a period? Then press the period. I mean.. come on! Really??? This is arguably the best keyboard I've ever used on any phone!
    03-02-15 05:28 AM
    I would agree it could take up to 17 days for the muscle memory to develop to the point you can really fly on it.

But yes it's a bloody keyboard lol. Not exactly rocket science.

Posted via CB10
    Blackerthanblack and kbz1960 like this.
    03-02-15 05:31 AM
    Well I have a classic, Q10 and a Passport. The PIA thing about that keyboard is you go to hit the ALT button all the time because that's what you do on a BlackBerry. So yes I am not complaining but it's a PIA when you have other keyboard devices that have a ALT key. Just saying

Posted via CB10
    Whispering likes this.
    03-02-15 05:54 AM
    I think there is a learning curve. To type with any type of decent speed you have to get used to reaching for the keys. They are spread out in such a way that it makes it difficult to reach them if you have been accustomed to using a smaller keyboard or a touchscreen keyboard.

In Kevin's initial review of the Passport he stated that there is a learning curve with the Passport keyboard and I think he's used a few Blackberry's in his time.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-02-15 06:05 AM
    After ditching Android devices to return to a 9780, I upgraded to a Passport a few months ago. I was also afraid that it will take a long time for me to adjust to the unusual layout (mostly because of the reviews and the numerous complaints on cb) but seriously, after about an hour I unpacked the phone, I was able to carry out a normal conversation with my sister on BBM. It was so easy to use and intuitive...

I admit I had to get used to the punctuation, but it's become second nature now. I believe people are way too choosy and most of the negative reviews come from the "other side" (iOS, Android users) who have become accustomed to burying BlackBerry since the legendary downfall. Plus, if you have been active on the forums, it's so easy to spot that the complaints from cb members came after using the device for a few hour/days, without bothering to read as much as possible on how to use it. I think that the three row design is much better than the old one and combined with the touch capability it's astounding.

Often I find myself trying to swipe upwards on my old 9780 which has become a secondary phone and only then I realize how good the system implemented on the Passport really is. But this is just my opinion...
    03-02-15 06:07 AM
    The Passport is my first physical keyboard since a Nokia N900, and I have to say I love it, although I find myself pressing the Z key where the shift was on the N900

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 06:46 AM
    Yes for some of use it feels natural at first hand. I was typing away when I first played with the demo at a store. It was a no brainer and the deciding point to buy the Passport for me.
    03-02-15 06:48 AM
    I'm back to blackberry because I needed a good keyboard . But cmon guys this should not be be an issue to talk about. Some take longer then other to learn to type. Not everyone is a fast learner.

Posted via CB10
    RijkaardL likes this.
    03-02-15 06:55 AM
    Just came from an iPhone 6 + and yes there you need some time to get used to the keyboard that the passport has.

It took me roughly a week to "I get it" and I'm still learning new tricks etc.

What I really love is that the keyboard is touch for scrolling. That is clutch when your editing a document or message and scrolling a webpage or excel sheet etc.

Either you love it or hate it but don't drop it that fast. Give it some more time.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 06:58 AM
    My guess is that, for those who have never used a physical keyboard (or at least haven't used one in awhile), there is a learning curve involved because the keys actually have to be pressed, rather than just touched. Seems like an insignificant detail, but it really isn't.
    03-02-15 07:53 AM
    I came from a Q5 and my only issue with the keyboard is the placment of zxcvbnm. They are all to far to each side of the keyboard, it's not like any other keyboard I've used. So I have to think about what I'm doing.
    03-02-15 09:23 AM
    I know what you mean op. The first time I try the Passport in store the keyboard felt natural that I didn't have to look down on the keys. I don't understand why a lot of old time BlackBerry users would say it's a learning curve.
    03-09-15 10:42 PM
    I never had a physical keyboard phone as a personal phone (had a 9900 for work). I understand that people who are used to the 9900 or other traditional BB's might find it a bit different, but it's really quick to learn. I actually prefer the larger keys on the passport, and the touch layer is just magical.
    03-10-15 12:59 AM
    I used one from friend of mine
    The only problem was the b and v keys especially B but in time you'll get used to it!
    I asked her to write on my Q10 she was like WTF!

CB10 - Q10
    03-10-15 11:07 AM
    Well my blackberry device history is the first torch, the bb 9900, the z10, and now the passport. My favorite keyboard that I used is on the 9900, but I must say each day that I use the passport it is becoming closer and closer to being my favorite.

People complain about the 3 row keyboard. I can understand it if a person were to come from a torch or a 9900 or even a classic because that is what they are used to. They would have to train themselves to use this 3 row style keyboard. Other than that I don't see what's not to like about this keyboard.

I came from a z10 before the passport. They only thing I didn't like about the keyboard was that it was so tight at first which is understandable since I bought it brand new. Now that it is broke in I can say that it is a joy to type on. Blackberry is genius with this keyboard in my opinion.

The thing I like about it the most is the width. I used to have problems of my thumbs running into each other on the torch and 9900. Not a problem on my passport. I like the idea of putting the symbols and numbers on the touchscreen. I am almost as fast as I was on the 9900 but I am more accurate on the passport than any other device.

I am a student and I have typed papers on my passport. You can't type papers on a phone without being able to enjoy the keyboard so I am fine with it. I do kind of wish that it had full trackpad support. But for what it does I still appreciate it. Good job blackberry. If they come out with a passport 2 I will definitely get it.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 11:37 AM
    It's natural for you. But it could be quite a challenge for many others. My son learned the push bike in about 30 minutes, some other kids had to go through different training bikes before they could ride without a third or fourth wheel. Not every one is born a genius.

As the OP mentioned review of 'non blackberry users', their message re. learning curve could be interpreted that they are convincing others, including non blackberry users, to give themselves some time to get used to it. And I see it as a positive thing and worth a thread to applaud and encourage them, rather than this.

Posted from my Passport
    03-10-15 12:01 PM
    I'm amazed by how much can be done from the keyboard. Since I've returned to BlackBerry, the keyboard's been the best part. No problems here, no learning curve. It's almost intuitive.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 08:09 PM
    The only learning curve I've had to adjust to is to stop trying to swype out words and actually type them. Then I went back to my android for a day and found my self wanting to push my thumbs threw the screen waiting for the click of the buttons. Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 11:29 PM