Hey, I've been looking. There has to be SOME app to let passport users have wireless pay.

*crickets*

Posted via CB10
    10-27-16 06:49 PM
    *crickets*

There are some options... really depends on where you are. But no, nothing like on Android, iOS or like Samsung pay.
    10-28-16 06:58 AM
    Welcome to the Struggle.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 07:23 AM
    As much as I loved the Passport...dealing with so many workarounds for things got tiring. It really sucks as the device is awesome. Just no support for things that are now becoming standard in devcies.
    10-28-16 07:24 AM
    CIBC Mobile Payment app from BlackBerry World works on the Passport if you have an NFC sim.
    10-28-16 04:27 PM
    CIBC Mobile Payment app from BlackBerry World works on the Passport if you have an NFC sim.
    And if you have a CIBC card.
    10-28-16 07:07 PM
    AND i think you need to be with specific carrier
    10-28-16 07:13 PM
    Nfc tagging doesn't work for the op?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    10-29-16 04:08 PM
    Scotia card and nfc works

Posted with my BlackBerry Passport smartphone
    10-29-16 08:37 PM
    I'm on Att in the us. So if I bank with CIBC and get an NFC Sim, this should work?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ra2600; 10-30-16 at 03:42 AM.
    10-30-16 03:22 AM
    It works with Canadian carriers Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin Mobile, and Koodo. Not AT&T.
    11-01-16 07:44 PM
    Any banks & carriers in Australia?...

Posted via CB10
    11-02-16 06:23 AM
    Any banks & carriers in Australia?...

Posted via CB10
    I don't think BB offered this outside Canada. Even in Canada, the NFC payment is slowly discontinued cause there ain't much traction. BB made it way to complicated.
    11-02-16 07:12 AM
    I don't think BB offered this outside Canada. Even in Canada, the NFC payment is slowly discontinued cause there ain't much traction. BB made it way to complicated.
    I'm not sure of the veracity of this statement. NFC payment is not as popular as it could have been is due to the fact that tap-and-pay is available for almost all credit cards issued in the past few years in Canada. Pulling a credit card out is more convenient than using an app on the phone. While it could have been more popular and the novelty may have waned off, it isn't slowly discontinued. If the phone apps are complicated, and I don't think they are, it is the banks that cause it. It has nothing to do BlackBerry. The same apps and UI's are offered on Android phones as well. Sure BlackBerry has no influence on how they work on Android phones.
    Last edited by YeemanBB; 11-02-16 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Y
    11-02-16 08:01 AM
    Pulling a credit card out is more convenient than using an app on the phone.
    When I'm buying something, I'm much more likely to have my smartphone in my hand than a credit card. Cards require two free hands to access while smartphones only require one. E-wallets also allow you to pick the card you want to use and tokenize the transaction so that your actual credit card number is not given to the vendor.

There's little question that paying via smartphone or other mobile device will eventually replace cards, for a number of reasons. Any smartphone platform that doesn't have it simply can't be competitive going forward.
    11-02-16 08:13 AM
    When I'm buying something, I'm much more likely to have my smartphone in my hand than a credit card. Cards require two free hands to access while smartphones only require one. E-wallets also allow you to pick the card you want to use and tokenize the transaction so that your actual credit card number is not given to the vendor.

There's little question that paying via smartphone or other mobile device will eventually replace cards, for a number of reasons. Any smartphone platform that doesn't have it simply can't be competitive going forward.
    You've allocated an entire arm to your phone? Wow that's dedication.

Me... I use pockets.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    11-02-16 08:20 AM
    I'm not sure of the veracity of this statement. NFC payment is not as popular as it could have been is due to the fact that tap-and-pay is available for almost all credit cards issued in the past few years in Canada. Pulling a credit card out is more convenient than using an app on the phone. While it could have been more popular and the novelty may have waned off, it isn't slowly discontinued. If the phone apps are complicated, and I don't think they are, it is the banks that cause it. It has nothing to do BlackBerry. The same apps and UI's are offered on Android phones as well. Sure BlackBerry has no influence on how they work on Android phones.
    It's not BB fault??? They created a NFC payment system that relies on the use of a secured SIM card provided by the carrier, and an app created by a Bank.

Look at what is needed to work: compatible phone from BB, a specific bank that have created an app that work with a specific carrier. So if I am with Bell and deal for BMO, forget it... cause Bell only works with RBC.

Could they had made it more difficult for users?

And imagine the Banks! They need to work with each carrier one at a time... If we only count the big 5 banks and the Big 3 carriers, that's 15, 15 separate relationship to maintain!

Didn't BB phone already had a secured enclave to store a key? Why go so complicated and use a secured SIM? It forces users to buy another SIM card and adds so much more complexities

And please don't compare with Android. If the approach they used with Android is crap, BB doesn't have to do the same!
    11-02-16 09:48 PM
    And imagine the Banks! They need to work with each carrier one at a time... If we only count the big 5 banks and the Big 3 carriers, that's 15, 15 separate relationship to maintain!
    And for those of us who operate in multiple countries, you end up with scores of carriers to deal with. It's an intractable problem. This is why it was hugely important that Apple came along and told the carriers to pound sand. That got the bigger banks on board finally and it killed terrible things like Softcard.

It also totally changed Google's strategy. Google, like BlackBerry, was also willing before ApplePay to acquiesce to the carriers' demands that they be part of the payment process and see all the valuable data.

You're right that BB already had the SE and the NOC and everything else they needed (including market dominance at one point) to make this work properly (including in countries other than just Canada). Except that they were not willing or able to cut out the carriers. That was the key missing bit.
    bobshine likes this.
    11-02-16 10:18 PM
    When I'm buying something, I'm much more likely to have my smartphone in my hand than a credit card. Cards require two free hands to access while smartphones only require one.
    That's an interesting issue that I think we're still tracking. Smartphone payments are increasing, but most people are still taking out their cards most of the time instead. That's not only in the US. This is also true in Europe and most of Asia outside of Korea.

E-wallets also allow you to pick the card you want to use and tokenize the transaction so that your actual credit card number is not given to the vendor.
    As it stands today, you are right that payments via phone are more secure (and private) than cards. I don't think many people understand this still.

I agree on "eventually". I'm not sure I know how long it will be, though. It may be many years before this happens (looking at the trends so far). Every current smartphone platform may be dead and gone before cards are dead.
    11-02-16 10:30 PM