Hi all.

Just got my Passport yesterday, it is cool device overall but one thing bugs me enormously. The luck of visibility of the letters when I type in different language. My physical keyboard layout is English, so I`m sort of guessing what`s the location of characters for the other languages.

I tried to install the GO Keyboard app that was working pretty good on Android. But it seems that although the app is installed I cannot select the GO keyboard layout in the input languages section.

My main goal again is to see the characters that I type.
    Does anybody came across this issue and knows how to solve it?

Thanks
    11-28-14 11:17 AM
    Hi,
    What other language are you talking about?. I write on my Passport in English and Spanish, so I have them both configured in my Input Languages settings.

So, when I need to write accented letters, like '�' for instance, I press and hold 'a' for like a second, and all the accented a's appear in the virtual keyboard section. From there, you can press the desired variant in the virtual keyboard, or (even more comfortable for me) you can lightly tap on the 'a' key until you reach the one you need, �, �, �, etc.

Hope it helps.
    11-28-14 11:48 AM
    I'm talking about Hebrew for example. Totally different alphabetical structure than English. Without seeing the characters you don't have a slightest chance. Maybe just memorizing the positions. But that kind a stupid, right.
    11-28-14 01:09 PM
    I'm talking about Hebrew for example. Totally different alphabetical structure than English. Without seeing the characters you don't have a slightest chance. Maybe just memorizing the positions. But that kind a stupid, right.
    But isn't it how you use keyboard on the computer?

I use languages with writing systems other than the ones using roman alphabets, and just as I have simply memorized the corresponding positions of the characters in those languages on my alphabet-only computer keyboard, it didn't take me all that long to catch on to the concordance on Passport keypad. After all, Passport keypad has the same concordance as your normal computer keyboard.

I don't know how a Hebrew speaker would type in Hebrew on an alphabet-only desktop keyboard - I presume by memorizing the keys. Same thing on Passport.
    Until we get a physical keyboard phone with keys made with tiny lcd screens that can change the displayed character contextually, we are out of luck.

I guess in the previous BB devices you would just buy a keypad that has both alphabets and your writing system of choice engraved and replace the stock keypad with that, but doesn't seem like it's gonna be easy on Passport. It also wouldn't have helped you completely if you were talking about more than 2 language.

Anyway, there was no physical way to support on the keypad at least 20+ writing systems that are supported by Passport in terms of the system/input/display language. I agree it would be nice if there was a way, but this isn't like a software issue that can be worked out if they actually thought about it and put effort into solving it - this is a physical limitation, so I am puzzled by the very motivation behind your asking. Surely it's not that you don't see that this is a physical impossibility, is it?
    11-28-14 05:15 PM
    This is one big reason I missed my Z10 KB. Anyhow, you should expect this to happen buying Passport with English KB - well I do. My workaround is taking screen shot of my second language (Thai) and then send that photos to my Passport and use them as references. I say them because there are three of different ones for Thai KB. After a while, I now remember them pretty good and barely use these photos as references.
    11-29-14 12:19 AM