Hi,

I sometimes get emails with C, C++, etc... files and I want to open them but it won't allow me as they aren't recognized but actually a regular text editor is enough for me.

Is there a way I can open them?

I've noticed that it allows me to open Java files with Word To Go.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 01:58 PM
    What you can do is change its format to .txt using EX file manager , i use the same as bb file manager doesnot allow to change extension
    04-14-15 02:17 PM
    What's crazy, is that if you long press to rename, it doesn't expose extension to change it. You have to open properties of the file, and then you can rename the extension.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 02:30 PM
    as bb file manager doesnot allow to change extension
    It does, you just have to go into file properties and rename it from there and it'll allow you to change the extension.
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    04-14-15 02:31 PM
    What's crazy, is that if you long press to rename, it doesn't expose extension to change it. You have to open properties of the file, and then you can rename the extension.

Posted via CB10
    It's stop the general public from accidentally messing with file extensions and making their files "corrupt" as far as the user is aware.

It's a pain, but it really does make sense.

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2708
    04-14-15 04:51 PM
    It's stop the general public from accidentally messing with file extensions and making their files "corrupt" as far as the user is aware.

It's a pain, but it really does make sense.

Microsoft solved that in Windows 7 by automatically highlighting over the main part of the filename instead of the whole filename (like in XP). So in 7, you have to actually move the cursor over to the extension and remove it to bork the extension. They could also prevent you from setting a file without an extension, or prompt you if you are sure. From experience, I'd prefer either of my two suggested alternatives as it was time consuming and frustrating to not intuitively figure it out until stumbling into the properties way.

But even crazier, is they don't associate .log files to the text editor. That would negate most of the need to rename files, IMO.
    04-14-15 11:05 PM
    Microsoft solved that in Windows 7 by automatically highlighting over the main part of the filename instead of the whole filename (like in XP). So in 7, you have to actually move the cursor over to the extension and remove it to bork the extension. They could also prevent you from setting a file without an extension, or prompt you if you are sure. From experience, I'd prefer either of my two suggested alternatives as it was time consuming and frustrating to not intuitively figure it out until stumbling into the properties way.

But even crazier, is they don't associate .log files to the text editor. That would negate most of the need to rename files, IMO.
    I do sortof agree.

I completely agree with anyone who suggests that we should be able to tell it what extensions should be default for whatever programs (i.e. .c and .cpp should be open with the text editor, etc.)

04-15-15 07:06 AM
    Easiest way to do this is to open it in some simple text editor. I'm using Notepad Plus (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/26594872). You have to open files directly from the app but it works fine for every plain text file.

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike likes this.
    04-15-15 06:12 PM

Microsoft didn't solve anything with windows 7... lol it sucks! Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 06:18 PM
    Microsoft didn't solve anything with windows 7... lol it sucks! Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Do you feel better, now?
    04-15-15 08:03 PM
    Easiest way to do this is to open it in some simple text editor. I'm using Notepad Plus (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/26594872). You have to open files directly from the app but it works fine for every plain text file.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for this tip.

Not sure when this happened, but I thought I use to be able to sign into BBW on the web, tell it to download, and it would automatically appear in BBW on the phone. Now it wants a captcha answer and email the url. Anyone recall if I'm remembering this correctly, being able to install from desktop browser and have BBW on phone directed to the app to install or open?
    04-15-15 08:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    o.O

Not sure what rock you're living under, but for everyone else Windows 7 was a great operating system. Fast, responsive, low resource consumption, efficient..

Off topic, but just confused

04-15-15 10:11 PM
    Maybe you are confusing Linux with Windows 7. The latter has never been fast, responsive, resource efficient!
    04-15-15 11:51 PM
    Compared against previous windows, 7 in fact was pretty good. Now if you compare window 7 against (pick your favourite) linux, that is another story. Most people have probably never used linux on the desktop, so don't know any better. As far as MS goes though, it is pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 01:04 AM
    To answer the original thread, I open a terminal window and either use less, elvis (vi), or just straight cat for small files. I realise this is a bit nerdy, but it works

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 01:05 AM
    Compared against previous windows, 7 in fact was pretty good. Now if you compare window 7 against (pick your favourite) linux, that is another story. Most people have probably never used linux on the desktop, so don't know any better. As far as MS goes though, it is pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    I do use Linux and am forced to every day because of my projects. Still there isn't a day I wouldn't pick Windows over Linux..

I know it's not "ridiculously efficient", but it's pretty damn good. It also has, you know, compatibility with most applications that I'd actually like to use, as opposed to me being forced to compile most applications for Linux myself which just has headache after headache..

04-16-15 07:37 AM
    Try TextEditHD. It is a paid app. If nothing else, buy the app as a token of appreciation for the dev who gave us Flash Browser.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 08:17 AM
    I do use Linux and am forced to every day because of my projects. Still there isn't a day I wouldn't pick Windows over Linux..

I know it's not "ridiculously efficient", but it's pretty damn good. It also has, you know, compatibility with most applications that I'd actually like to use, as opposed to me being forced to compile most applications for Linux myself which just has headache after headache..

What linux do you run? If you run a debian based distro, then the repositories are bursting. If most of your apps are windows based, then run windows. For the one or two I need to (read told to) use, wine does the trick. The one oddball is ironically blend. I have a cut down VM specifically for blend - works well.

I tried windows at work, but just couldn�t stand the performance. Compile times were more than 5 times slower for the same code base. Machines were comatose with heavy I/O. Anyway, this isn't meant to be a windows/linux fight. Both are good and have their place.

If you install an app which is designed to read c/c++ files, then it will associate the extension. A programmers editor from snap should do the trick.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 09:10 AM
    What linux do you run? If you run a debian based distro, then the repositories are bursting. If most of your apps are windows based, then run windows. For the one or two I need to (read told to) use, wine does the trick. The one oddball is ironically blend. I have a cut down VM specifically for blend - works well.

I tried windows at work, but just couldn�t stand the performance. Compile times were more than 5 times slower for the same code base. Machines were comatose with heavy I/O. Anyway, this isn't meant to be a windows/linux fight. Both are good and have their place.

If you install an app which is designed to read c/c++ files, then it will associate the extension. A programmers editor from snap should do the trick.

Posted via CB10
    Mostly versions of Raspbian, I think it's more of an ARM compatibility issue and that's mainly what drives me nuts and makes me prefer Windows, but I do agree with your points.

Conversely, I run an Ubuntu VM for some of my programs since I don't want to bother with modifying my UEFI boot setup :P

Back on topic:

Oh good. However it'd just be so nice to be able to set your own extension associations within BlackBerry10!

04-16-15 01:33 PM