Well here we go again Telus. I phoned to reserve two Blackberry Passports so my mom could bring me in Asia. The shop held them aside. My mom is 69 years old and not really up to date on all this unlock stuff. So I called the shop and explained in detail I need two an off plan passports. I said I am happy to pay the full Off Plan price and an unlock fee for each device of 35 dollars each.

This location is in Red Deer Alberta. My mom went into the store and was told she could NOT purchase the phones unless she had a valid telus phone number that had to be activated already and at least for 90 days....also the phones could not be unlocked until 90 days after purchase.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

This is disgusting treatment of someone buying phones off plan. The bizzare thing is my mom has been a customer of this exact Telus location for years.

Horrible.
    09-30-14 11:20 PM
    Get a prepaid account, put $50 dollars on it. After you activate the phone, call customer service for the unlock code.

You get the Telus phone number, become a wireless customer, and are not on contract so there's no 90 wait (assuming this has something to do with contract subsidies). Because you are a customer of theirs, and bought the phone outright, them must give you the unlock code

$50 covers the unlock fee, and the cost associated with the initial downloads and such while setting up the phone.

Try and get the staff to help you get the code.

Passport || Fido
    09-30-14 11:27 PM
    From my understanding of the CRTC rules (and this is off of a checklist I saw in the past two days,) Telus is obligated to unlock phones that are paid in full, no waiting for 90 days. The 90 day wait is for when you get phones on subsidy. Here is a link to that checklist: Checklist: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?

However...they are not obligated to sell you phones off contract; seems like is what a lot of people are experiencing in stores. But it also looks like you're still able to order off-contract online. Would that work for you? Here is the link: BlackBerry� Passport | Smartphones | Mobility | TELUS.com
    jojo beaconsfield and bbqkid8 like this.
    09-30-14 11:29 PM
    Have you tried to call Telus HQ to voice your concerns about how the store treated your mom?

See the comment of Raino above, he seems to know the cellular regulations inside and out!

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-30-14 11:34 PM
    I was in Vancouver over the weekend and bought off contract in store. It really depends on who you get.

I called Telus customer service and they said to get a prepaid sim to unlock with them. I just went with a 3rd party unlock site. $20 and got the code a few hours later. Now I have a rogers sim in it and everything works great. Love the phone

Posted via CB10
    James Blight likes this.
    09-30-14 11:38 PM
    Seems legit.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 11:39 PM
    Or you can purchase them off the website no contract. Don't need a Telus #. I did that for my z30. Got it a few days later.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    09-30-14 11:58 PM
    It gives me an choice of buying a sim card...do I need to do this if my mom is brnging it to me in Asia. Will tellus unlock it based on its IMEI ?

And is it possible to do while I am in Asia. For example have a skype call with telus to unlock. But how will I pay the 35 dollar charge if I am in Asia.

Just need some clarification so I can get this rolling.

Anyone know how long delivery time is. She is located in Red Deer and leaves to Asia on Oct 6th.

Regards
    10-01-14 12:13 AM
    Telus can not sell you a unlock code unless you have an account with them. Who would they bill? Unless you want to spend extra creating a pre-paid account there is no other option to get TELUS to unlock it. The best move is buy them outright and get them unlocked online. They can be unlocked by any UNLOCK COMPANY that can unlock any os10 device. It is much cheaper that way....

FOR UNLOCK CODE FROM TELUS YOU NEED A ACCOUNT # FOR THEM TO ENTER IN THEIR SYSTEM...
    10-01-14 12:25 AM
    They're wrong, and the sales rep at that location is full of it. I work at Telus and you can buy off contract with immediate unlock. It's bloody federal law, for god's sake. Send her to another Telus, and make sure it's a corporate store rather than a Telus dealer. Dealers do all sorts of shifty crap.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    10-01-14 12:32 AM
    So if she buys unlocked at the store without a Sim and then brings me the phones to asia all I do is boot the phone and then get unlocked online. I dont need a sim for this or anything else ?

regards
    10-01-14 12:44 AM
    I had the same BS from these so call Telus scummy dealers, when I tried to get my Z30. They all seems to make their stores look like they belong to Telus. I rather get my phones online than deal with those Bozos.
    10-01-14 12:56 AM
    this is why i never deal with dealers, just straight up legit stores, all the carrier dealers in the states don't only act like those telus reps, but alot of em over charge on phones, tbh i don't see a point in letting dealers to that but carriers let em. ;0
    10-01-14 01:02 AM
    Telus can not sell you a unlock code unless you have an account with them. Who would they bill? Unless you want to spend extra creating a pre-paid account there is no other option to get TELUS to unlock it. The best move is buy them outright and get them unlocked online. They can be unlocked by any UNLOCK COMPANY that can unlock any os10 device. It is much cheaper that way....

FOR UNLOCK CODE FROM TELUS YOU NEED A ACCOUNT # FOR THEM TO ENTER IN THEIR SYSTEM...
    to the bolded text: Credit card company?
    10-01-14 02:57 AM
    Use ebay for an unlock code. You'll get one in less than 24 hours and it's about $30.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=dshlMinX

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 03:08 AM
    Telus can not sell you a unlock code unless you have an account with them. Who would they bill?
    His mom?
    You know, the person that is physically present in from of them?
    10-01-14 03:26 AM
    From my understanding of the CRTC rules (and this is off of a checklist I saw in the past two days,) Telus is obligated to unlock phones that are paid in full, no waiting for 90 days. The 90 day wait is for when you get phones on subsidy. Here is a link to that checklist: Checklist: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?

However...they are not obligated to sell you phones off contract; seems like is what a lot of people are experiencing in stores. But it also looks like you're still able to order off-contract online. Would that work for you? Here is the link: BlackBerry� Passport | Smartphones | Mobility | TELUS.com
    TELUS IS COMPLETELY RET**dED!!!!!
    I had the same treatment walking into the TELUS store in metropolis near food court in Burnaby BC. I was utterly shocked when the sales girl told me that she would not sell me the passport outright and that I had to be an existing customer doing an upgrade or a new activation.

If the CRTC is upholding these so-called new rules. WHY IN gods creation ARE they not enforced. *scratches head*!!!!

This really bugs the hell out of me.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-01-14 03:32 AM
    UPDATE:
    I am in Asia now and my 69 year old mom has been so patient with me. She is located in Red Deer Alberta.

I wish someone could go with her to help us fight this battle. She was all prepared yesterday and the store even had phones. This will be her third trip back. If anyone in the area could assist her it would be helpful.

I want to show Asia what they are missing (passport).

If I ever return to the area I would reward the person that helps mom with a dinner on me.

She leaves to Asia on 6th

Regards

Patiently waiting. BB4life
    10-01-14 03:39 AM
    Too bad I don't live in Edmonton anymore otherwise I would be more than happy to drive down to Red Deer to help your mom.

As others have mentioned, you can buy unlock codes cheaper on Ebay from a reputation seller (I've dealt with one and he was a pleasure to do business with the unlock code in less than 12 hours if you want to use the same one just let me know). If you're buying an unlock code online, my suggestion is to always have a camcorder or another phone to do a video recording of the moment you use the unlock code because that is how you'll be able to contact the seller if code doesn't work for any reasons. Just enter the code slowly and double check that you've got everything right and don't re-enter again if it doesn't work (because there's only 10 tries so don't risk it).

UPDATE:
    I am in Asia now and my 69 year old mom has been so patient with me. She is located in Red Deer Alberta.

I wish someone could go with her to help us fight this battle. She was all prepared yesterday and the store even had phones. This will be her third trip back. If anyone in the area could assist her it would be helpful.

I want to show Asia what they are missing (passport).

If I ever return to the area I would reward the person that helps mom with a dinner on me.

She leaves to Asia on 6th

Regards

Patiently waiting. BB4life

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 07:08 AM
    I had the same treatment walking into the TELUS store in metropolis near food court in Burnaby BC. I was utterly shocked when the sales girl told me that she would not sell me the passport outright and that I had to be an existing customer doing an upgrade or a new activation.

If the CRTC is upholding these so-called new rules. WHY IN gods creation ARE they not enforced. *scratches head*!!!!

Well, if those were all of the rules, nowhere does it say that Telus has to sell you an off-contract phone. It just lays out rules for Telus to follow after they sell you the phone off contract. From their POV, they are a phone service provider first, not a seller of phones.

Is it a good idea to keep existing customers happy and sell them the phones off contract? Yes, maybe. Are they required to do this? Doesn't look like it.

UPDATE:
    Is it not possible for you to buy the phone online from Telus' website, maybe add some rush shipping to it? Using a Canadian-address credit card would probably be the best.
    10-01-14 08:59 AM
    I get what your saying by the "credit card" but it's not an option in there system when buying a unlock code. And when they see that they think they can't do it so they just say "we need an account number to create the work order" I made an account number with a pre paid and got it. It costed me 15 bux on top of the 35 for unlock code but I walked out of the store using my passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 09:07 AM

Don't get your panties all in a bunch. Realistically speaking, any retailer is allowed to refuse a sale if they so desire. I agree with you that the Telus policy is silly, but it?s their policy. The only piece that's regulated is the unlocking of the phone, where the carrier is required to unlock any phone that was purchased outright on demand. Going back to the question posed by the OP, he will have to set up one prepaid account with Telus in order to unlock the phones. Just one account is required, and as many phones as you want can be unlocked. Setting up a prepaid account takes all of 5 minutes when you phone in to the Telus Mobility support. From there, the only thing that's required is to add prepaid credit to the account, specifically $35 for each phone to be unlocked. So, OP, get you mom to pick up the two phones and buy one Telus SIM card. Go home and phone Telus Mobility support, then get them to activate the SIM and unlock the two phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 09:54 AM
    UPDATE:

My mom has secured phones and she will buy off plan...here is the catch...they now ay they will cost 100cdn more now then yesterday .

Cost is 800CDN..

When does the BS stop ..TELUS
    10-01-14 09:57 AM
    I get what your saying by the "credit card" but it's not an option in there system when buying a unlock code. And when they see that they think they can't do it so they just say "we need an account number to create the work order" I made an account number with a pre paid and got it. It costed me 15 bux on top of the 35 for unlock code but I walked out of the store using my passport.
    Right, I wasn't saying anything about the unlocking part of the problem here. Unlocking can be done remotely (and apparently cheaper than Telus' price of $35.) IMHO, the bigger issue here is getting a phone first, which in the OP's case definitely requires Telus' involvement. Rajbir01 a few posts above in this thread says you don't even need to be a Telus customer to get a phone off-contract from them online.
    10-01-14 10:14 AM
    Based on what I can see from the Telus website all the stores in Red Deer are dealer stores so they can charge whatever they want. Also Telus just increased their price by $50 today so that's why the price went up. Usually dealer locations will charge more than corporate stores.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 10:21 AM
55 123