It's been about a month since I bought d Passport and have been using it ferociously for work (I'm a translator). I absolutely adore Passport in this regards, it has become an essential part of my professional life, not merely a toy of entertainment. My typing accuracy, speed notwithstanding, has been improved tremendously compared to using a touch device. So, this is good.

The thing is (drum roll), keyboard then becomes extremely crucial. I like typing with passport, but with prolonged use--and I mean seriously long use every day, the keys are not getting softer and my fingers, especially thumbs, are easily tired and hurts, due also to the position of the keyboard being too low. This is not good.

Hence my interest with d Classic. I don't yet know how the keys feel there (softer or harder), but at least the rows are not to far down and tiring to reach, type and hold the device at the same time.

I don't know. Which is exactly the reason I'm humbly writing this. Classic users, or perhaps Q10 users, who also have or have used Passport, what do you think? Is typing on those two devices more enjoyable compared to Passport? Less tiring and/or hurt for prolonged use?

Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 10:12 PM
    I chose the Classic over the Passport because of the keyboard, I found that typing (especially longer messages or complete paragraphs in documents) was much, much easier and more efficient using the traditional four row keyboard on the Classic versus the touch sensitive keyboard on the Passport. There's just something about having the space bar in the middle of the last row of letters that really throws me off and I was unable to get used to it in the time that I experimented with the Passport before making my decision on which to purchase.
    04-27-15 10:40 PM
    Had the Passport for some time, had to replace it ang got a Classic. Much easier to type on, easier to use and a very good phone, in general: signal, battery life, talk quality. But it's the keyboard that makes it perfect. Especially if you type a lot, the keys are softer to press, the distance between the keys is the right one. I founf myself struggling to type on the Passport. Trust me, you'll like the Classic.
    04-27-15 11:01 PM
    As far or typing is concerned the three row keyboard is as efficient if not more efficient than the four row. When it comes to fingers getting tired, i feel you, but all physical keyboards demand more effort. Although the traveling distance is greater on the passport the stiffness is similar, well maybe slightly lighter on the classic. But yes, the classic is easier to type on, being the keys more compact they provide a more even click. On the passport if you don't press right on the correct spot it tends to be harder to press, specially the space bar. But the screen on the classic may be too small, and the specs... i do like the trackpad though, they should improve the sensitive keyboard so that you can also move a cursor to select links and stuff while using any key to select. But back to your concern, there is always a compromise.
    Last edited by Tessoro Desoto; 04-27-15 at 11:21 PM.
    illlya likes this.
    04-27-15 11:03 PM
    Thanks to all who have answered thus far. How about Q10? Is the typing experience on par with the Classic? Better? Worse?
    04-27-15 11:04 PM
    I dont have an issue with prolonged typing on my passport! Extensive exercising on past cell phones have built up the strength over the years. So I guess I wouldnt be able to be of much help in your quest for knowledge but I do know that my typing skills were faster on my Q10, 9900 and 9780 and is probably because of the keyboard and width of the passport not enabling me to reach the speeds of my old legacy devices. Sooooo I guess I sort of answered your question, maybe

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    04-27-15 11:07 PM
    Thanks to all who have answered thus far. How about Q10? Is the typing experience on par with the Classic? Better? Worse?
    I find the Classic is a little more comfortable to type on compared to the Q10, but the biggest difference is the screen. The display on the Classic simply blows the Q10 out of the water in terms of brightness, clarity, and color reproduction. Much better in my opinion.
    04-27-15 11:08 PM
    Very similar to the classic, but mine would double type after just four months. . It will drive you insane, it becomes unusable. You can get them very cheap though. Maybe you can give the q10 a try while keeping the passport.
    04-27-15 11:11 PM
    I see, from what I could gather so far, typing experience is indeed better on the Classic and Q10. Classic especially, with regards to better screen and tool belt.

Hmm... I might have to do some coin toss here. I will try to hold on to another month with Passport. Hopefully the keys would get much softer by then, and my fingers would get stronger, with the added help of memory muscle thrown in.

If worse comes to worse, I could always jump ship to Classic. And who knows, the price will be much lower by then. That's always a plus.

Thanks a lot, guys!

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 11:18 PM
    OP, I'm a writer and as you, I use my Passport a lot and I already feel very good with the keyboard, it's very easy and the swap is great! I also had a Q10 and actually was kind of complicated to write in it because the key are closer one of the other than they are on the wider Passport. And now I got a Classic to try it. It is a great phone also but I'm having some kind of... let say... less fast on writing than I am with the Passport, but I can say than writing on the Classic is much much better than doing it on the Q10. But between the Passport and the Classic it is very hard to decide because it is a matter of preference. I decided to get both. I'm using the Classic for personal use and text messages with my family (all iphones) and some personal emails, and the Passport for work (writing, texting and emails). Maybe you should try yourself the Classic, but I do not think Q10 could substitute your Passport.
    illlya likes this.
    04-27-15 11:32 PM
    OP, I'm a writer and as you, I use my Passport a lot and I already feel very good with the keyboard, it's very easy and the swap is great! I also had a Q10 and actually was kind of complicated to write in it because the key are closer one of the other than they are on the wider Passport. And now I got a Classic to try it. It is a great phone also but I'm having some kind of... let say... less fast on writing than I am with the Passport, but I can say than writing on the Classic is much much better than doing it on the Q10. But between the Passport and the Classic it is very hard to decide because it is a matter of preference. I decided to get both. I'm using the Classic for personal use and text messages with my family (all iphones) and some personal emails, and the Passport for work (writing, texting and emails). Maybe you should try yourself the Classic, but I do not think Q10 could substitute your Passport.
    Q10 is that bad, eh? Double type as well? That's not good.

Yeah, I'll try to hold on and learn more on the Passport. And I do believe I'll need to buy the Classic as well, at some point, if not for variety's sake when typing.
    luigieagle likes this.
    04-27-15 11:42 PM
    I think I have a solution to my problem. Apparently I just need some sort of an extender on the base of the passport so my fingers won't have to reach the key rows too far down while holding the device at the same time. This way, my thumbs are practically on the same height with the key rows. Effectively, I experiment using my ipega game controller to support the passport and type freely. Granted, it's not elegant, but at least it greatly reduces the strains on my fingers and wrists when typing for a long period of time.

Heh. Whatever works, I guess.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 05:14 AM
    I have both the Clasic and the PP. And I'm constantly torn between both phones.
    Actually, the PP's keys are softer than the Classic's, I'm in disagreement here with some others. But I had 2 PPs and 2 Classics and it was like that in both cases. Also in several other CB threads this is being confirmed by other users.
    However, it is in fact more thumb-tiring to type on the PP, mainly due to its size. But not a lot, imho. What bothers me more is the interrupt in the typing flow, when having to move up to the touch keyboard for punctuation or special characters. This feels much more fluent on the Classic.
    On the other hand, the PP's screen is so incredibly awesome, and I always miss it when moving back to the Classic.
    But then, the Classic slides in & out of tight blue jeans pockets way more easily - in particular when squeezing in a busy bus or so, where getting the PP out of the pocket is sometimes not overly easy.

So maybe OP you can help me to make my decision easier? ;-)

P.S. don't look back at the Q10. The Classic beats it in so many ways.
    04-28-15 05:34 AM
    I have both the Clasic and the PP. And I'm constantly torn between both phones.
    Actually, the PP's keys are softer than the Classic's, I'm in disagreement here with some others. But I had 2 PPs and 2 Classics and it was like that in both cases. Also in several other CB threads this is being confirmed by other users.
    However, it is in fact more thumb-tiring to type on the PP, mainly due to its size. But not a lot, imho. What bothers me more is the interrupt in the typing flow, when having to move up to the touch keyboard for punctuation or special characters. This feels much more fluent on the Classic.
    On the other hand, the PP's screen is so incredibly awesome, and I always miss it when moving back to the Classic.
    But then, the Classic slides in & out of tight blue jeans pockets way more easily - in particular when squeezing in a busy bus or so, where getting the PP out of the pocket is sometimes not overly easy.

So maybe OP you can help me to make my decision easier? ;-)

P.S. don't look back at the Q10. The Classic beats it in so many ways.
    Judging from your description, it seems you already have the best of two worlds, having both the PP and Classic. I don't think I could provide any input seeing as I don't yet have the Classic nor have I ever held it. Good for you, bro.

And yes, I will stay away from the Q10.

I do agree that it is a bothersome interruption in the PP to have to switch between the real and virtual keyboard every so often with regard to numbers and punctuation. However, upon sliding down the keys two times, one may find the real keys equivalent to the said numbers and punctuation, guided by the virtual board. I learn to use this, instead. A tad cumbersome, perhaps, but better solution than breaking the typing rhythm, IMHO.
    04-28-15 05:49 AM
    Yes this sliding down is helpful sometimes, as long as no comma or question mark etc are needed. In these cases, you still have to reach up to touch the screen, and unfortunately commas etc are the signs that are being needed quite often.
    So maybe they can integrate this in a future version of the kb software. The period is integrated already, on page 2 of the KB, although not needed that often, as double space can also generate a period if wanted.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 06:08 AM
    Yes this sliding down is helpful sometimes, as long as no comma or question mark etc are needed. In these cases, you still have to reach up to touch the screen, and unfortunately commas etc are the signs that are being needed quite often.
    So maybe they can integrate this in a future version of the kb software. The period is integrated already, on page 2 of the KB, although not needed that often, as double space can also generate a period if wanted.

Posted via CB10
    True that. A better keyboard integration is needed in the next incarnation of passport. If there's ever will, that is.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 06:19 AM
    Classic is actually a good choice... unfortunately, the Passport spoiled our reading habit and viewing perception in mobile environment...

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 07:39 AM
    I have both Passport and Classic and yes they are the best of both worlds when it comes down to keyboard phone's. Use the Classic for messaging, the Passport for browsing.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 07:55 AM
    If the Passport 2 had a real 4-row blackberry keyboard of the quality of a q10, I'd buy it now!

But that 3-row keyboard is not going to cut it!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 11:06 AM
    I've used the Q10, Classic, and Passport all for extended periods of time. I'd say the Passport has the most learning curve, but once you get use to it and it gets use to you, flicking words makes things very easy. That said, the Classic keyboard is comfortable and works well too and as a device allows for one handedness if that's important to you. I can't put my finger on why, but I think typing on the Q10 was a better experience than the Classic. The keyboards are the same but I think the Q10 just felt better in the hands if that makes sense.
    04-28-15 11:18 AM
    I've used the Q10, Classic, and Passport all for extended periods of time. I'd say the Passport has the most learning curve, but once you get use to it and it gets use to you, flicking words makes things very easy. That said, the Classic keyboard is comfortable and works well too and as a device allows for one handedness if that's important to you. I can't put my finger on why, but I think typing on the Q10 was a better experience than the Classic. The keyboards are the same but I think the Q10 just felt better in the hands if that makes sense.
    Yeah, I'd say that makes sense. The Q10 has thicker metal frets so the keys are spaced a bit more apart. I love the thick frets on the Passport, but I like the Classic keyboard better for its size. A Classic with thicker frets would be ideal!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by conbrio29; 08-29-15 at 10:00 AM.
    08-23-15 05:36 PM
    Stay away from the q10 the pkb will get really bad the classic is cool and the pkb is a lot softer than the pp but it also gets the double typing maybe the q5 will be your best bet. What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 06:04 PM
    Stay away from the q10 the pkb will get really bad the classic is cool and the pkb is a lot softer than the pp but it also gets the double typing maybe the q5 will be your best bet. What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    I know it's been a year or so, but I'd like to answer. I'm holding a Z30 now, but I wouldn't mind having a Classic if I could. It's the only PKB I haven't tried from BlackBerry 10.

I might get that later, or an SE.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-16 07:36 AM
    bhoqeem, I love my Passport SE, but the balance was much better on my Q10.

To date, I wrote more per day on my Q10 than I do on my SE. Perhaps my rate will pickup again, but the SE is just a little bit less comfortable than the Q10.

FWIW, my hands are larger than most - I can actual single-hand type on the SE. It's not the size, it's the balance for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-16 08:04 AM
    bhoqeem, I love my Passport SE, but the balance was much better on my Q10.

To date, I wrote more per day on my Q10 than I do on my SE. Perhaps my rate will pickup again, but the SE is just a little bit less comfortable than the Q10.

FWIW, my hands are larger than most - I can actual single-hand type on the SE. It's not the size, it's the balance for me.

Posted via CB10
    Do you think the SE's keyboard is less softer than the Q10? I've had an OG Passport for a year and I also typed a lot more and longer with my Q10, due to the stiffer keyboard of the OG. I thought it'll get softer with time, but I was wrong. But perhaps that was also the key that saved it from being plagued with double typing. The Q10 had it, so I had to sell that as well.

These days though, I type and produce works more and even faster with the Z30. Not saying I don't miss a PKB, though.
    04-23-16 09:07 AM
26 12