Today I realized that I'd been paying $7.99 a month for insurance on my Q10 which I had bought from T-Mobile, even though I've been using the Passport since September (black then red).

So I called T-Mobile and I cancelled the insurance, then I felt like I owed it to myself to ask, "I've been using a BlackBerry that I bought directly from them, so I haven't used the Q10 since September... is there any way to credit me for October and November since those were full months I didn't even have the device I was paying for insurance on?"

I was shocked when she told me that they would refund me the last two months' worth of insurance charges, which was like $16.

So, Passport owners, you might want to try this if you want some money back and might have been paying for insurance on a phone you replaced with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 likes this.
    12-09-14 10:50 PM
    who pays for insurance? what does the insurance cover?

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 10:54 PM
    I have insurance on my pp through protectyourbubble.com.... it's the one I feel is the best to suit my needs and at 5.99 a month it's not bad at all!

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 11:04 PM
    who pays for insurance? what does the insurance cover?

Posted via CB10
    Usually through your carrier, they have partnered with a company.

It covers if your phone is lost, damaged or stolen. I was paying $7.99 a month (it's gradually gone up over the years) and if I lost my Q10, I could just pay $100 for a new one through the insurance.

But since I don't own a Q10 anymore, I realized I was paying for nothing.

Posted via CB10
    dangeng likes this.
    12-09-14 11:38 PM
    Good tip. Although I don't buy insurance on phones myself. It's not really a good deal, especially if you aren't accident prone. Here is a decent article on the issue and some tips for alternatives:

http://www.moneycrashers.com/cell-ph...ance-worth-it/
    12-10-14 02:59 AM
    I would think home insurance is pretty universal as of what basic stuff it covers at home and on trips. Read or call your agency what that covers.

In Finland deductible is usually between 150-200 ? and all risk home insurance covers lot of things, accidental drop, accidental spill just to mentions the usual stuff that happens to phone.

Also some credit cards have insurance on purchased stuff, but I haven't read those terms.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 03:06 AM
    This is a money grab.
    It's one thing to pay for the coverage but another for getting them to put out! There may even be a deductible!

I would think home insurance is pretty universal as of what basic stuff it covers at home and on trips. Read or call your agency what that covers.

In Finland deductible is usually between 150-200 ? and all risk home insurance covers lot of things, accidental drop, accidental spill just to mentions the usual stuff that happens to phone.

Also some credit cards have insurance on purchased stuff, but I haven't read those terms.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 09:19 AM
    I cancelled my insurance with T-Mobile when they stopped selling BlackBerry phones. I figured that if something happened to my phone they wouldn't have a BlackBerry replacement phone. Now I get my phones direct from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    12-10-14 11:18 AM
    I never bought into the insurance thing from T Mobile, I had an issue with my z10 and they gave me the runaround, so I canceled it and never bought it since then. A rip off.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-10-14 03:49 PM
    Today I realized that I'd been paying $7.99 a month for insurance on my Q10 which I had bought from T-Mobile, even though I've been using the Passport since September (black then red).

So I called T-Mobile and I cancelled the insurance, then I felt like I owed it to myself to ask, "I've been using a BlackBerry that I bought directly from them, so I haven't used the Q10 since September... is there any way to credit me for October and November since those were full months I didn't even have the device I was paying for insurance on?"

I was shocked when she told me that they would refund me the last two months' worth of insurance charges, which was like $16.

So, Passport owners, you might want to try this if you want some money back and might have been paying for insurance on a phone you replaced with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    I'll call T-Mobile and see if this works. Was on the phone with a rep last-evening, cancelled my insurance after they told me that my insurance didn't cover a "non T-Mobile" phone. I've paid 10.00 a month over the last four months for absolutely nothing.

Posted two-handed via Passport
    12-10-14 06:25 PM
    When I phoned T-Mobile to have my Q10 removed and my Passport from Shop BlackBerry added, it somehow triggered this letter from Assurant.

'Under the Premium Handset Protection program, a non T-Mobile device is not eligible for mechanical or electrical breakdowns and benefits, BUT IS eligible for JUMP! Upgrades, Mobile Security, AND benefits for events involving Loss, Theft or Accidental Damage. Please note that Loss, Theft and Accidental Damage claims are subject to the deductible of the device being claimed and replacements are subject to device availability'.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 03:42 AM
    When I phoned T-Mobile to have my Q10 removed and my Passport from Shop BlackBerry added, it somehow triggered this letter from Assurant.

Posted via CB10
    Swapping your SIM to a different device triggers the letter unless T-Mo sells the device. I get one every time I bounce between the Passport and the Dev C.
    12-14-14 01:40 PM