I guess it just appears thicker because they brought the full thickness of the device out all the way (or almost all the way) to the outer edges. The Passport is thickest in the middle and gradually tapers down towards the side edges. Actually makes me appreciate the original Passport's design even more, as it effectively makes it look thinner.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, the curvature and the slim steel bezel that wraps around the entire phone (which is not as thick on the sides as the I-beam original one) creates an optical illusion. That and I guess some people thinking that the PMA wireless charging module is some huge chip (when in fact it is most likely just a strip similar to an NFC strip that is placed on the battery door) makes them really believe it is indeed thicker.

for example: this is a wireless charging strip with NFC antenna for an LG G3:
    AT&T BlackBerry Passport Unboxing-.jpg

I am betting that Foxconn replaced the original NFC strip with one similar to the above for the redesigned Passport... I'd also love to see a teardown of the redesign
    02-21-15 08:52 AM
    pretty cool unboxing
    02-23-15 01:48 PM
    I just found out today the reason why the new Passport is a bit longer on the chin. It's more functional than a pure design aesthetic. The BB employee I spoke to said that they had to do it due to the antenna design to support AT&T and to pass FCC requirements. The bottom part is also plastic. Maybe someone can do a teardown and compare the two variants?

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    02-24-15 08:44 PM
    I'm salivating...definitely getting this on Friday!
    I love my Passport, but this looks more balanced. I wish they had given more chin space on the square original.

Posted via CB10
    I had the original nbaliga and loved it but didn't feel well balanced. That all changed when the at&t version came into the picture. Now I can honestly say the passport is balanced nicely and the extra chin space makes the keyboard more efficient.

My newfound, astound, profund, round...Passport
    thedose likes this.
    02-24-15 08:57 PM
79 ... 234