Looking for any help with my BlackBerry Passport running OS 10.3.3.1463.

I haven't added any new apps in the past year except for SLACK, but for some reason my system memory usage has now climbed from 6 months ago at just over 3GB to a whopping 23.48GB today. I am getting the daily warnings about Device Storage Almost Full.

All media is stored on the SD card, and I do have a lot there.

I've loaded Ghost Commander today to see if there is anything in the various file directories, but nothing beyond 2MB and a small number at that. I've also loaded Cleaner and cleared cache with that plus have cleared cache in all the apps I use regularly.

I am at a loss and hoping someone can help!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 06:00 PM
    Screen shot of memory usage (I hope)

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 421745
    04-23-17 06:02 PM
    You will have to reload your OS to clear the corruption.
    04-23-17 06:27 PM
    Any suggestions on backup and restore so I can save some of my apps and data? My last full backup to Blackberry Link is kind of useless as it includes all the System memory bloat.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 07:05 PM
    You can't restore from backup cause your problem will come back. It's a known issue that BB never solved... system files just keep getting bigger and bigger. There are many threads on this
    04-23-17 07:23 PM
    I must be using the wrong search terms as I spent the last 2 days searching the forums for something similar.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 07:32 PM
    Any suggestions on backup and restore so I can save some of my apps and data? My last full backup to Blackberry Link is kind of useless as it includes all the System memory bloat.

Posted via CB10
    Use Ultimate Backup from BBW.

Usually a failed OTA update causes this problem. Normal range is between 3 and 5.5 GB.
    04-23-17 07:32 PM
    Thank you for your advice! I was able to purchase Ultimate Backup and perform one backup before my system memory was completely used up. I was watching it while the numbers began spinning up 10MB at a time, like an electronic slot machine!.

Now I'm about to begin the re installation of Bby OS and hopefully can restore some of my old data!
    04-25-17 01:50 PM
    System Memory has increased by 20GB in 6 months. Now almost full?-img_20170426_061230.png
    Since 10.3.3 I got notice the storage almost full. Mostly my data save on SD card. Keep searching for user files.. but can't find the 7GB. Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-17 05:31 PM
    Since 10.3.3 I got notice the storage almost full. Mostly my data save on SD card. Keep searching for user files.. but can't find the 7GB. Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    See above.
    04-25-17 05:40 PM
    Only Restore solution?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-17 05:59 PM
    Only Restore solution?

Posted via CB10
    See post #3 .

DTEK60 / Z30
    04-25-17 06:29 PM
    Silly question possibly. My Passport on 10.3.3.3057 has over 12GB of System storage, I OTA updated last Monday and all was just perfect until I got the Device Memory Low warnings (out of the blue, started to happen this morning and I cannot recall checking System Storage right after the update). Would it not be possible to restore from a Link backup by Custom Restoring and deselecting BlackBerry Runtime. It is over 9GB in my latest backup. Guess I will find out soon since Passport is security wiping itself as I type.
    01-11-18 03:37 PM
    Finisned security wiping. Reporting OS 10.3.3.3057 (even if it insists it wants to update itself to the very 10.3.3.3057, did not let it do so). System storage back to 2.98GB. Signed in to BB ID and made sure BBM running. BBM still same version as before security wipe. Now restoring from Link backup after choosing Custom Restore and deselecting BB Runtime. Fingers crossed...
    01-11-18 03:59 PM
    ... and it worked. Everything. Phone settings, app settings. Just had to reinstate email accounts and give permissions to (all it would seem) apps. I did lose BBM chat history but tried this:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post12581708
    ... and got it back. Yay.
    01-11-18 07:02 PM
    In one day and a half, System storage space has gone from the 3GB after wipe and Link restore to 4.6GB. I do wonder whether that is normal and hope it stops there.
    01-13-18 09:11 AM
    You need to read post number 5 to see where the problem comes from now.

If you ask for assistance you should follow the advice given, don't restore anything from Link backup.

Use Ultimate Backup from BlackBerry World rather than Link.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-18 09:09 AM
    I know. I have been sticking to Link for backups because I had to go to a Z30 after my hand op (could not use a physical keyword for a couple of months) and I got absolutely everything on the Z30 from the Passport: all notifications and ringtone settings, apps, app data and settings, everything. Since then I have always relied on Link for backup and restore.
    Plus this time I restored from Link without the bloated up BlackBerry runtime (unselected it, it was a whopping 9GB) and everything restored perfectly fine...
    As I type, nearly three days after doing all that, I am still at 4.6GB System storage so if things just stay like this I will be very happy indeed and do nothing else about it.
    01-14-18 10:33 AM
    I was lucky - I just visualised the phone's drive using Link and an old windows programme (spacemonger), spotted the bloatage and deleted it and the app that had created it. A 5m job with no shenanigans.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-18 12:47 PM
    @'John Wiggy' if you could do that by mounting the phone's drive and working on it directly I would say this was not system bloating but rather user memory bloating. Glad you found it and could deal with it.
    As for the process I described everything is indeed well at this point. System storage has even decreased to 4.59GB.
    Just one caveat though. When I was trying to Share files from eg File Manager to any Android app I would just get a blank screen. I then went to App Permissions and turns out that after I restored them without the bloated BlackBerry Runtime, the app permissions were of a BB10 kind rather than an Android one ie I could enable and disable each and every one of them! Obviously not what the Android 4.3 runtime would expect. By uninstalling and reinstalling just the apps I need to share files to problem was solved. Am happy again.
    Last edited by goncal; 01-15-18 at 01:14 AM.
    01-14-18 03:48 PM
    Reporting back. Stable at 'just' 4.48GB.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 06:48 AM