So I've got this burning desire to switch between my Passport and Z30. I've been using the Passport since last year when I got it. And I love it. But sometimes I get almost bored by the same form factor so I wanna switch it up to the Z30, I'm weird yes I know.

I want to minimize downtown between the switches and make rather seemless switches. What's the best way to do this? I want to maintain settings, accounts, apps and android apps if I can (I've heard restore on 10.3.2 will save android apps then restore them). I know sms would backup and restore without a third party app.

I would assume link backup and restore? However I tried backup via link but It won't backup today. The device switch app only does calendars and contacts which I have synced on the cloud.

Hardware wise, I have a Sim card adapter to use.. it's the data and apps migration I'm more worried about.

Help would be great. Anyone do this device switching regularly?

Thanks!

My Tech, Finance Musings + Photography: C0020708C
    08-01-15 01:00 AM
    I have no experience with switching between the Passport and Z30 but I would like to offer you one piece of advice.

Be extremely careful when using the sim card adapter in the z30. Don't ever put the adapter in the Z30 without the sim card in it. (yes it seems like common sense but a lot of people have done it)

The sim card slot of the Z30 is a major weak spot. It can be damaged easily, especially with adapters. Once the sim card pins are damaged on a z30, then it's game over. The device will only be able to use wifi.

Just be careful every time you switch.

Posted via CB10
    austriker and James Blight like this.
    08-01-15 01:21 AM
    I have no experience with switching between the Passport and Z30 but I would like to offer you one piece of advice.

Be extremely careful when using the sim card adapter in the z30. Don't ever put the adapter in the Z30 without the sim card in it. (yes it seems like common sense but a lot of people have done it)

The sim card slot of the Z30 is a major weak spot. It can be damaged easily, especially with adapters. Once the sim card pins are damaged on a z30, then it's game over. The device will only be able to use wifi.

Just be careful every time you switch.

Posted via CB10
    Good tip thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that. I've thought about just buying another sim card from tmobile then calling them to switch whenever I switch devices.

08-01-15 01:35 AM
    Good tip thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that. I've thought about just buying another sim card from tmobile then calling them to switch whenever I switch devices.

Do you plan on calling them every time you want to switch?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 02:31 AM
    Do you plan on calling them every time you want to switch?

Posted via CB10
    If i go that route. Yes. I doubt I could do it online. I'll probably be switching once a month or so, so not super frequent.
    08-01-15 09:39 AM
    Uh oh.. freaking z30 won't recognize my Sim card now.. not cool.. it's so hard to put in the Sim in the z30. Crazy terrible hardware design.

I put it into my android and it connected. No go on my z30..

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 10:41 AM
    OP you're not weird because I do the same thing and live in denial on such things.

I migrate to my Z30 on most weekends because I'm in less of my normal work mode that I depend on my Passport for. Plus, more running around, etc.for which a smaller Z30 is better suited.

Either direction I synch my Outlook, then use Device Switch which gives you options of what you wish to transfer such as sms, emails, caledar, pics, videos, etc. I use a quality Sim adapter and have no issues in the 6 months I've been doing this.

About the only issue I have encountered is from family who think I keep getting a new phone every week or two.

But it's them, not me....right?

Right?

Posted via CB10
    austriker likes this.
    08-02-15 12:40 PM
    OP you're not weird because I do the same thing and live in denial on such things.

I migrate to my Z30 on most weekends because I'm in less of my normal work mode that I depend on my Passport for. Plus, more running around, etc.for which a smaller Z30 is better suited.

Either direction I synch my Outlook, then use Device Switch which gives you options of what you wish to transfer such as sms, emails, caledar, pics, videos, etc. I use a quality Sim adapter and have no issues in the 6 months I've been doing this.

About the only issue I have encountered is from family who think I keep getting a new phone every week or two.

But it's them, not me....right?

Right?

Posted via CB10
    Hey that's what I want to do! Although I've found my contacts don't sync all that well via the cloud.

Also my initial goal was to do a backup and restore but I couldn't get that to work so I installed my apps manually. Which actually wasn't as big of a headache as I thought it'd be.

What sim card adapter did you get?

I think mine got screwed up by tmobile who physically cut my micro sim to nano size instead of giving me a nano sim. So it was a tight fit into the adapter. I had to shave down the sides.

08-03-15 08:12 AM
    If I recall the Sim adapter was MediaDevil 3 in 1. I only use one of the 3 it came with.

I echo others' warnings about using Sim adapters because of the bad experiences I've read. This adapter has been no problem whatsoever.

Using the combination of the phone switch app and Outlook sync via Link has worked well.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 07:43 AM