But the screen sharing is now operational ?

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 11:48 AM
    No, just like before.

I am always able to detect my TV from the screen sharing settings. Whenever I select my TV in these settings, I am prompted on my TV about accepting the connection. I click OK, the TV turns black and nothing happens no matter what I do.

However, in the settings on my phone, just beside my TV model, I sometimes see a loading wheel keep rolling, even when I do have a connection and the screen turns black. Sometimes, this loading icon is gone, but the TV will still not show anything.

Passport.
    06-14-16 01:05 PM
    Ok you may have to turn on media sharing under system settings.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 04:38 PM
    I tried to do that, as I had disabled that to being with (it was disabled the first time I actually got screen sharing to work). Nothing changes.

I actually tried to simply display a picture or so through WiFi Direct, this fails as well.
    06-14-16 04:46 PM
    Well, not sure what other steps to recommend to you, the problem maybe with the TV. Someone else might have a solution.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 05:01 PM
    Well, not sure what other steps to recommend to you, the problem maybe with the TV. Someone else might have a solution.

Posted via CB10
    I understand, I do appreciate the help though.

I did reset the TV as well to factory settings, no difference. The only thing I haven't tried is resetting my phone, which is not something I am willing to try for now.

Just really a shame, since it already worked once.
    06-14-16 05:15 PM
    Just saw your thread. Sorry you're having these issues. Miracast can be a bit "finicky" but it should work. We have a Z30 and a Passport here. We connect them both to our various tv's using either a Microsoft or a Netgear Miracast dongle. The Microsoft one works better. But it sounds like your TV has Miracast built in. Mine don't.

When it won't connect for me (not often but it does happen from time to time), I go thru an escalating series of steps...

- on the phone, toggle wifi off then on,

- on the phone, go into the wifi settings and select "Wifi Direct" instead of Miracast. As soon as Wifi Direct is selected and you get the spinny circle thing, tap on Miracast and then tap on "share screen". This usually fixes it. I noticed you mentioned you weren't sure if you had disconnected from the earlier Miracast connection. This step makes sure that has happened.

- still not working, restart both the TV and the phone. On the phone use the "deep restart" aka pushing both volume buttons and holding it for about 20-30 seconds.

- failing that, I'd say you're down for an OS reload. You could also see if your TV has a firmware update available.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-16 05:17 PM
    Patrick, I just tried what you said, still the same. When you can't connect, what usually happens? Have you ever experienced an empty screen after connecting?
    06-14-16 05:38 PM
    Alright, I just took step-by-step pictures so you can see the process I used the first time I got it to work. I have attached the picture(s) in a .RAR file too, since the picture quality is pretty bad after uploading it to Crackberry.

About the last picture with limited WiFi, I have a 200/200 Mbps internet connection, which works flawlessly. I guess my TV is making some kind of Hotspot for WiFi Direct, which is obviously not meant for Internet access. This might be the reason I get the notification in the first place. I am not sure if this showed up the first time I got it to work.

Please take a look and tell me if something seems off.
    Attached Thumbnails Suddenly cannot connect to PC or TV-miracastprocess.jpg  
    Attached Files
    06-14-16 06:24 PM
    As far as I know, a device can't do both Wifi Direct AND Miracast at the same time. So, if your TV is set to "Wifi Direct", you might need to go into the settings and see if it can be set differently.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-16 10:59 AM
    Since I already reset the TV, it shouldn't be on any connection. Besides, I am not on both, at least I click on "Continue" when I am prompted that WiFi Direct needs to be disconnected before using Miracast.

I guess the only way to be sure is to factory reset my phone as well. I will do this when I am less busy.

Thanks for the help!
    06-15-16 12:41 PM
    Patrick, I just tried what you said, still the same. When you can't connect, what usually happens? Have you ever experienced an empty screen after connecting?
    About 5% of the time I use Miracast, it won't connect. When that happens, the TV shows an error message then after a few seconds, it goes back to the usual screen. And the phone also displays an error message and then goes back to whatever settings menu I was on.

In BB10, there are 3 ways to start using Miracast:

- Settings / Display / Share Screen

- Settings / Network & Connections / Wifi / Miracast

- and "Play On" which is available when playing a video which is saved on your phone's memory (internal or SD) as well as on some websites.

If "Play On" is available, it will appear either on the "3 dots" menu (see attached screenshot)

Suddenly cannot connect to PC or TV-img_20160615_181445.png

... or in the lower right hand corner of the screen represented by the small icon shown in the next screenshot, i.e., a triangular "Play" symbol on top of a rectangular "Screen" symbol.

Suddenly cannot connect to PC or TV-img_20160615_182135.png

Have you tried all 3 of these methods?

Here's a YouTube link where the Play On symbol appears. Once the video starts playing, you might have to tap the screen once to get the frame with the Play On symbol to appear.

I hope you can get this to work cuz it's a sweet feature.

One last thing, would you mind sharing the make and model number of your TV? I might just do some checking online to see what I can find.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-16 07:31 PM
    I have already tried these methods. The TV either turns to on a black screen or the connection simply fails (or keeps loading). But yes, I was actually really looking forward to using this feature.

The TV is a Samsung UE65JU6075 I believe. I might just contact Samsung support as well, just to be sure that it is not the TV.
    06-16-16 08:15 AM
    I actually got it to work - to some extent. But I have a hard time reproducing the method every time. What I noticed is that my phone is getting confused between WiFi and Miracast: Whenever (this happens periodically) I share my screen using Miracast, it connects to WiFi Direct instead. Sometimes it actually tells me I am connected to Miracast, but it turns out to be WiFi Direct. If I try to disconnect Miracast, it jumps to WiFi Direct or the other way around. Sort of hard to keep track. So my method include tricking my phone to connect to Miracast through WiFi Direct.

Confusing? This is what I did:

Setup:
    -2) I used an Ethernet cable this time to make sure my WiFi is not "Limited". Not sure it is necessary though, as I didn't use it the very first time it worked. Also I did get the "Limited WiFi"-notification one time regardless. But whenever I wasn't using the Ethernet cable, this method didn't work.
    -1) I reset my TV (you can probably do without)
    0) Turn off WiFi and turn it back again

Method:
    1) Make sure you are connected to the very same WiFi connection. If you are on the 5GHz band on your TV, this has to be the same as well (WITH the Ethernet cable connected).
    2) Find a video and click "Play On"
    3) Choose your TV from the list, make sure it is the one with "Miracast" on it.
    4) If you are lucky, the TV will display the selected video through WiFi Direct (NOT Miracast). If not, repeat the steps and try to tweak them a bit.
    5) Disconnect from within the video (if this doesn't work, try from the WiFi Direct / Miracast Settings)
    6) Your TV should now screen mirror your actual screen instead of the video. (Apparently, it jumps from WiFi Direct to Miracast, provided you have established a connection)

By no means the best method, and you will probably have to tune it yourself and keep trying to disconnect and reconnect. But at least I am able to share my screen and videos (although I will probably need several attempts each time). As soon as you have established a connection, it stays connected to Miracast.
    06-17-16 10:15 AM
    Thanks for posting the details of your successful solution. I'm sure there will be others who will find that post to be very helpful.

A couple of weeks ago I checked the online help for your TV model and found that it supports Wifi Direct. I couldn't find anything to indicate that it supports Miracast.

I think I also saw that it supports Chromecast which is Google's "proprietary" version of Miracast which only works with Chromecast-enabled devices. BlackBerry supports the industry standard Miracast but AFAIK Chromecast isn't supported on any current BlackBerry devices.
    06-24-16 02:42 PM
    I really appreciate the help, Patrick.

According to my retailer, my TV supports Miracast. But then again, they might be wrong. I did contact Samsung for confirmation, I'm still waiting for response.

That being said, my TV shows up as a Miracast device on my Blackberry and screen sharing did work more than once. Is it even possible to mirror the screen over WiFi Direct?

I will let you know when I hear from Samsung. Whether it is officially supported or not, at least I know it is somewhat possible either way.
    06-24-16 08:33 PM
    I just got confirmation from Samsung, the TV does indeed support Miracast.

I will try to get them to debug the issue. I will post an update as soon as I know more.
    06-25-16 07:52 AM
42 12