Hi to all PP owners.

I'm about to get a PP but one thing is holding me back. I'm a school teacher and my school uses an iOS app called SDM (Student Data Management) to record school attendance.

Is there a way to go around this by side loading it as an Android app?

If so, I will go out and buy one in a jiffy. I've been wanting this for months and it's the only thing holding me back... =(

Have a great weekend.
    05-22-15 07:57 PM
    Using Cobalt's Google Play or Snap, you can purchase and install 99% of whatever apps available on Google Store, or through Amazon App Store, on any BB10 BlackBerry. I'd suggest Passport for faster and better execution, due to its 3gb of RAM.

As for iOS apps, I don't think BlackBerry can support that just as yet.

Posted with my BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1, v.10.3.2.680
    05-22-15 08:15 PM
    I've searched for "student data management" and I couldn't find this specific app.

But if you really want a passport, you can always get one and use a cheap ipod touch/ipad to get your IOS apps that aren't available on android or blackberry world.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 08:21 PM
    Thanks dna47 for your reply.

I have thought of that but since I teach more than 8 classes, it'll be a chore to carry 2 devices all over the school to check if students are absent from school, skipping lessons or out at competitions.

I heard that the app is available on Android but does not work properly. Wondering if it'll work better on PP as a sideload.

But really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

(I'm typing this on iPhone and already have to correct half a dozen typos... Sigh)
    05-22-15 09:22 PM
    Thanks dna47 for your reply.

I have thought of that but since I teach more than 8 classes, it'll be a chore to carry 2 devices all over the school to check if students are absent from school, skipping lessons or out at competitions.

I heard that the app is available on Android but does not work properly. Wondering if it'll work better on PP as a sideload.

But really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

(I'm typing this on iPhone and already have to correct half a dozen typos... Sigh)
    What's the name of the app on android, I couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure it'll work on BB10 if it's available on android.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 10:55 PM
    It's called SDM. Short for 'Student Data Management'.

Really hope that Blackberry can have this in Blackberry World. Imagine the number of educators who will jump on board...
    05-23-15 09:42 AM
    It's called SDM. Short for 'Student Data Management'.

Really hope that Blackberry can have this in Blackberry World. Imagine the number of educators who will jump on board...
    Just so you know, we don't sideload anymore. We have direct access to android app stores and install directly onto our devices.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-23-15 09:49 AM
    No SDM in Google play that looks like your app.

Student Data Management app?-img_20150523_114156_1.png
    Student Data Management app?-img_20150523_114212.png

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    05-23-15 10:42 AM
    I don't think your app exists outside of iOS. It's up to you, now. You could still do a LOT more with Passport, though--I guarantee that, and will probably find an app close enough with what you need, either in BB World or Amazon or Google Play.

Decision, decision, decision....
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 05-23-15 at 05:55 PM.
    05-23-15 12:00 PM
    Checked their website and theil mobile app is only available on apple devices.
    http://sdm.simplex.sg/
    Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-23-15 12:15 PM
    Checked their website and theil mobile app is only available on apple devices.
    http://sdm.simplex.sg/
    Posted via CB10
    Kinda dumb when Android holds 80% of the market now.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Supa_Fly1 and dusdal like this.
    05-23-15 01:03 PM
    Kinda dumb when Android holds 80% of the market now.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Yes, but there's so many hipster teachers with pretty little iToys and $80 dongles for their single USB-C port laptops. Niche target audience.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-23-15 01:43 PM
    If the app is only on IOS then a cheap ipod touch is probably a good option. I have a Ipod touch i use just to experiment with some of the apps when trying to help others with apps. Truthfully it's not that bad as i only carry it with me when needed so it's not like i'm carrying two devices all the time.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 02:03 PM
    I must say, it has always annoyed me when one is forced to choose a device based on an app. I'm not a huge app user and thus, I try to make sure the apps I use are available on Android and iOS.

Good luck with your choice...
    05-23-15 04:23 PM
    Yes, but there's so many hipster teachers with pretty little iToys and $80 dongles for their single USB-C port laptops. Niche target audience.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    K12 is NOT a niche market, nor is the majority of USA Universities that have Apple equipment with QuickTime Pro classes to teach teachers, students and alumni along with free ITunes U courses available through the Apple App Store. It's quite simply a $20+Billion business. This was the very FIRST step Apple did on its plan to getting healthy again back in 1999 not desktop publishing it was K12 and the rest of the Education market.

Actually this could be a great market for BlackBerry.

OP: Can you ask if you edit and submitt your attendance via Spreadsheet if I.T. would upload into the app? Ask if there is a Sharepoint or internal website where you have Read/Write access to to update the attendance and other forms you need to?
    05-23-15 07:19 PM
    Firstly, thanks to all the helpful responses. =)

Looks like SDM Mobile Info might be the one.

Is it possible to load that onto my Q10 (I came from a Bold 9900 and then upgraded to Q10) to test run? I'm still running the factory OS on my good old Q10.

Many thanks again to all the helpful suggestions. This is a great community!
    05-23-15 08:21 PM
    Firstly, thanks to all the helpful responses. =)

Looks like SDM Mobile Info might be the one.

Is it possible to load that onto my Q10 (I came from a Bold 9900 and then upgraded to Q10) to test run? I'm still running the factory OS on my good old Q10.

Many thanks again to all the helpful suggestions. This is a great community!
    You should be able to load it if that's the right app. I'm not sure what OS you have on your Q10 but you need to sideload Snap from redlightoflove.com and then download the app you'd like to test.

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    05-25-15 03:39 PM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...84a1c41e&hl=en

It's in play store, didn't get around to installing it though
    05-25-15 05:30 PM
    Hi all,

Reporting back after installing Google Play Store and SDM on my Q10 for testing.

Well, good and bad news.

Good news. It works on my Q10.

Bad news. The interface is cut off at the bottom and the 'OK' button is located there and cannot be accessed. Bummer.

So it looks like I will have to put off getting the Passport until SDM Mobile updates the interface to include scrolling so that the 'OK' button can be accessed.

Meanwhile, I'm back on my Q10 and using the iPhone 6 as a WiFi only phone for attendance taking and photos. At least the compact size of the Q10 allows me to carry 2 phones around more easily. Keeping my fingers crossed for an update soon.

Thanks for all the help and advice folks. I will be in the Q10 forum until my Passport upgrade (dependent on SDM).

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 11:03 PM
    Hi all,

Reporting back after installing Google Play Store and SDM on my Q10 for testing.

Well, good and bad news.

Good news. It works on my Q10.

Bad news. The interface is cut off at the bottom and the 'OK' button is located there and cannot be accessed. Bummer.

So it looks like I will have to put off getting the Passport until SDM Mobile updates the interface to include scrolling so that the 'OK' button can be accessed.

Meanwhile, I'm back on my Q10 and using the iPhone 6 as a WiFi only phone for attendance taking and photos. At least the compact size of the Q10 allows me to carry 2 phones around more easily. Keeping my fingers crossed for an update soon.

Thanks for all the help and advice folks. I will be in the Q10 forum until my Passport upgrade (dependent on SDM).

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    Swipe down from the top of the screen and choose 'size', and then 'zoomed out'.
    06-07-15 12:13 AM
    Thanks for the tip.

I can access half of the OK and Cancel buttons now.

But another problem came up. After tapping the OK button, it takes forever to sync and I have to quit the app.

Will try it again in school tomorrow using the school WiFi.

=)

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 02:24 AM
    Thanks for the tip.

I can access half of the OK and Cancel buttons now.

But another problem came up. After tapping the OK button, it takes forever to sync and I have to quit the app.

Will try it again in school tomorrow using the school WiFi.

=)

Posted via CB10
    Use the rectangular size in that case! It usually works but will be quite small
    06-07-15 06:41 AM
    I tried both. Seems like it's an issue with the synchronisation. It works in a couple of seconds on the iPhone but takes forever on this android port over. Just hangs there...

Just need to bring it back to the school IT guys to have a look I suppose.

Thanks =)

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 10:43 AM
    Remember when you change the size to close the app out and then re open it sometimes you need to do that to get it to work. Have a couple apps that need to do it that way for some reason.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 08:20 PM
    Thanks Jose for the tip.

Well, finally got the IT guys to take look and got it working but now yet another issue surfaced.

It just won't sync after marking attendance. The guys told me it's an issue with the Android version of the app itself, not the phone.

So I finally decided to take the plunge and bought a Classic instead as I will need to keep my iPhone handy for attendance taking. Who knows when they will fix the android app.

Typing this on my new classic now. It feels good to be rocking BB10 again.

Cheers =)

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 02:58 AM