03-25-17 02:02 PM
73 123
tools
    Since yesterday my Passport has mostly been stuck on "Emergency calls only" - anyone else experiencing the same? I'm on Vodafone Netherlands, the SIM card is recognised, I can see the SIM contacts in the address book. It connects occasionally, but mostly not...

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 01:53 PM
    that means you don't have any service. the sim is not registering. call your provider from whom you got the sim
    12-13-15 06:11 PM
    Thanks jayde5799, but this is definitely something to do with the Passport - I tried my Vodafone SIM in a Moto G and it works fine. I tried the SIM (from another network) from the Moto G in my Passport and it won't register. The Vodafone SIM works outdoors sometimes.

I wonder if this is some kind of antenna issue?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 09:18 AM
    This happens to me about every six months. A restart always fixes it.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 09:31 AM
    Thanks @Gatymer - unfortunately I've tried that a few times and no luck yet. Also tried switching between 2G only and 2/3/4G, no luck. I'm hoping not to have to go for a hardware reset...

Is there some kind of hardware test on the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 09:57 AM
    Use BBVE to test hardware. It's a native app available in BBW.
    12-14-15 10:09 AM
    Same thing happened to me. Constantly dropped phone signal and reverted to emergency calls only. I'm on Vodafone UK so took it back to the Vodafone shop and they replaced it under warranty. Don't waste your time with soft/hard resets etc. Just take it back.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 02:07 PM
    I think it might be just out of warranty... but I'll get in touch with BlackBerry (or the site I bought it from) anyway, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    joeyRook_lyn likes this.
    12-14-15 02:59 PM
    Interestingly enough, when I scan for mobile networks indoors I can only see one network (not mine). As soon as I go outside I can see the 4 I usually see (including mine, although I can't connect). I'm beginning to think a capacitor may have gone in the antenna or something like that, restricting receive/transmit power.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 03:44 PM
    same exact problem I am having ATM. I Please post any fixes you have for this problem! Thanks OP
    12-14-15 11:04 PM
    @Jabamasax I saw something on a forum about going to Settings => About => Network and then, in the bottom right-hand corner, there's a menu button where one of the options is "re-register device" which registers the device with BlackBerry again. I tried it but it didn't work unfortunately. I'm more and more convinced it's an antenna issue, so I've contacted the people I bought it from and am sending it back. Luckily their guarantee is 2 years for all phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 04:06 AM
    Plus another symptom - today I left mobile network turned on even though I wasn't using the Passport and it used 90% of the battery within a few hours, suggesting it's on high transmit power because it's constantly trying to find and connect to a base station which it only receives very faintly (if at all).

Posted via CB10
    joeyRook_lyn likes this.
    12-15-15 10:42 AM
    Thanks for the reply! doesn't seem to be working for me either. I'm with you about the antenna problem. But every thing I've read points to the SIM card tray needing to be replaced. Which doesnt make sense. My phone even recognizes its on the AT&T network, but refuses to pick up signal.

EDIT: NOT to hijack your thread, but merely to explain my same situation. here is a link to my post.
    Interesting SIM scenario Emergency calls only
    Last edited by Jabamasax; 12-15-15 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Addition of detail
    12-15-15 12:06 PM
    @Jabamasax judging by your screenshot we do indeed have exactly the same issue...

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 05:59 PM
    Had that issue once. Thought about the antenna. It turned out it was a defective sim. Provider changed it et voil !

Sent from the pure awesomeness of my  Passport SE
    12-15-15 07:44 PM
    I got a brand new SIM. No worky. Gonna try and get the SIM card tray replaced. The part is only $13 on ebay.

Blackberry Passport 10.3.2.440
    12-15-15 11:10 PM
    I'm sending the phone back to the place I got it from. Yesterday I decided to "security wipe" it - partly to remove my data and partly to see if the problem is still there after a factory reset. Bad move, it's been stuck on 96% security wipe since yesterday - when I restart the phone by holding down the on/off or volume up and down buttons it just goes back into the security wipe cycle.
    12-17-15 02:59 AM
    Hiya, add one more to the "emergency calls only brigade"! Full story, sorry if you get too bored! Had the phone 7 months and couldn't be happier, until 4-5 days ago when I noticed the phone was on emergency calls only. I had been receiving 2-3 bars of 4g goodness from giffgaff so was surprised when this lasted more than a day. My partner is also on giffgaff, S6, and was not suffering signal loss at all. Even so I contacted giffgaff and reported my issue, unsurprisingly they came back with a clean bill of health for O2 signal (giffgaff use O2). Dug out the partners old S4 mini and balanced my micro sim in the S4s mini Sim port. Hey presto instant 4g.
    Intrigued by all your posts I followed your instructions and all came back clear or working smoothly. Clearly something wrong with the phone, but what? The bit I haven't told you is that when I took my phone out and about either emergency calls only or 1 bar 2G! Until I was at work which has a mobile phone mast 100 meters down the road....Full yes Full 4g!! Does this conclude that the antenna is "broken", weak? Not even sure what to do to be honest!
    12-17-15 03:04 PM
    Hi @lex500 very interesting to hear you've got the same problem which seemed to start at exactly the same time as mine. I've sent mine back now (and I doubt they'll give me any details about their findings/repair), but I only wish I'd been able to try a factory reset before doing so. Unfortunately any kind of USB connectivity seems to have been problematic for a while, but I'd like to have hit factory reset in BlackBerry Link instead of doing a security wipe on the phone.

It'll be interesting to see if others pop up with the same problem.
    12-18-15 09:52 AM
    @Jabamasax let us know how it goes replacing the SIM tray (yourself?).
    12-18-15 09:53 AM
    Will try a factory reset and report the findings.
    12-18-15 04:00 PM
    Just an update here. My Passport took so long for their 3rd party repair company (whoever fixes them in NL) to fix that the place I bought it offered me a refurbished one. I counter-offered asking if I could trade up to a Priv instead, and for a small amount they sent me a new Priv.

So unfortunately I don't know the final cause of my Passport's issue, but I'm seeing a lot of "emergency calls only"-type threads in these forums now. I suspect an antenna issue.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-14-16 05:31 PM
    I am having the same problem with emergency calls only. Its very interesting, how most of topics on this problem are dated december 2015, right when my problems started. I have also tried everything above with no success. The bad news for me is that i have bought the phone second hand from a guy that got it from german amazon, but i live in Slovenia and they won't recognize warranty here.
    01-21-16 08:07 AM
    My brother had this issue.

First thing he did was go to TMO and get a new sim. Still nothing.
    Called blackberry, sent logs.
    2 days later they shipped him a warranty replacement.
    01-22-16 08:00 AM
    im facing the same issue with my STL100-2 adn the problem started on dec also and was just right after i updated my phone when i found the update available OTA
    after tracking the problem for long i found that 1st its the android apps uploading too much data to the network most probably
    and 2nd it could be the antenna software aftr this update.
    i heard a new update coming soon im waitng for it
    if it came with no fix for this issue ill take my phone for a hardware check
    01-27-16 03:16 AM
73 123