As I said in the title, complete speculation here but....

Looking at the dimensions of the Passport, we know it is a square screen (1440x1440) at 4.5 inches diagonal. Working a little geometry if we split the screen vertically we get the following diagram:
    [SPECULATION] Passport running 2 apps side by side-passportscreen1.png

So that means each side would be a 3.56 inch "screen" that is 1440x720. Comparing it to the still popular iPhone 4s (3.5 in screen at 960x640) it will be taller and skinner. And have less screen area 5.05 sq in versus 5.51 sq in. Comparison diagram:
    [SPECULATION] Passport running 2 apps side by side-passportscreen2.png

Another comparison, is it is way bigger than an iPod Nano7 (which people run apps on):
    [SPECULATION] Passport running 2 apps side by side-passportscreen3.png

One last way of thinking about the size comparison, half a Passport screen is the same width as a 3.25 in screen with a 16:9 ratio (the same ratio a Z30) but would obviously be taller. So the flip side of that is the half Passport would be as tall as 3.65 in screen with a 16:9 ratio.
    [SPECULATION] Passport running 2 apps side by side-passportscreen4.png

So I definitely think the Passport's screen is big enough to have two apps side by side... Could definitely be useful when reading an email and seeing the attached doc/pdf side by side. Or have the calculator up while looking at a website. And I'm sure there are hundred of other use cases for "split screen mode".

What do you guys think?
    07-26-14 11:41 AM
    It's an interesting idea. How many people regularly use this feature on Samsung phones?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    IamSuperMas likes this.
    07-26-14 11:43 AM
    It's actually the first thing that I thought of when I read about the Passport. I would definitely find this a useful feature, so hopefully BlackBerry is on the same page.

Thanks for doing up the drawings, really helps make things clearer.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 11:49 AM
    Let's hope BlackBerry are will be forward thinking with the Passport UI.

Most large smartphones and phablets have some sort of multi screen implementation in place now, so this would be the logical step for the passport going forward.

C001C21C1 Thoughts on the fly
    07-26-14 12:03 PM
    I think it would be tough doing side by side since its so skinny. I think top/bottom might be better but even that is scrunched.
    07-26-14 12:04 PM
    A bit tight, but it would definitely be amazing for the examples you provided (viewing doc/website/email while keeping the calculator open), or bbm-ing with someone about some specific numbers on a document (remember, you still have a full size keyboard). I mean, it's no dual-screen monitor, but sometimes you really need to do something in one app that requires data input from another app/window.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:11 PM
    I want this feature! It would be heaven having a pdf file open on the right then doc to go on the left. Also good for excels + calcu.

Posted via My Awesome Passport | @angelesrobby
    07-26-14 12:12 PM
    It's an interesting idea. How many people regularly use this feature on Samsung phones?

Only a few. Usually for the sake of it in order to use it as an internet argument later.
    raino likes this.
    07-26-14 12:14 PM
    Nice... It is something I would really like to see. Think of copying information into an email from a document or even another email. Or looking up something in the browser and keeping it open as a reference well you write an email or a text message or take a few notes. Endlessly useful.
    07-26-14 12:16 PM
    It needs to happen. As you said emails etc. and it should be like outlook on windows. Have the email stacked top to bottom or left to right. So many things this would be useful for. Now it isn't a smartphone but a mobile computer.
    07-26-14 12:17 PM
    I'd be curious to see this implemented... however some of the scenarios you guys wish to see with e-mail might be difficult to do. I'm trying to visualize how you could run the Hub... alongside an app. Hmmmm...

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:19 PM
    I would love to see this used in the sense of having a 16:9 screen on the side to run apps with the hub open on the remaining side screen on the left. Ability to peak at the hub and have it stay. This would be amazing.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:28 PM
    Yes absolutely important for work!

Sent from my Z 30
    07-26-14 12:32 PM
    This would be awesome. I'm constantly having to switch back and forth between price sheets on my Z30.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.3253 on AT&T
    07-26-14 01:04 PM
    Like the idea... would solve the copy paste hassle between apps !

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 01:08 PM
    A better idea is in my opinion to overlap the screen you use over the other one. You never use both at the same time but if you wanted you can choose both equal. I used it and tested it on I believe the samsung but be honest I wish there was a overlap.

The idea of overlap is that you mostly wanted to copy something from a document or webpage to a new documt or whatever. so it's easier to swith with overlap and you have more screen size to see what you doing or typing at the documt you making.

So then you can choose two options : equal or overlap split-screen

Think about overlap in wide split screen 2,58 and 0,50 and hight 3,18 inch
    BlackBerry should use overlap and split screen also on the Z30.

How to USE
    First how to choose this, and that is just two fingers wipe down to get the quick menu so you can choose split-screen in 3 standaard like normaal, equal and overlap

The second question is how to get the right apps to show and that is done by that if you in your homepage for example you see 2 times in equal your homepage so you can use swipe and gesture like you normaly use to use a app. So just it work like you use too.

Balance
    A extra plus is in overlap is that you also can use it for balance. So you get your workspace and private space next to each other. How lovely is that
    Last edited by whatsever; 07-26-14 at 01:36 PM.
    07-26-14 01:11 PM
    You forgot that you need some interface to manage that option... So it will be slightly shorter, some pixels to separate the two parts like in Windows 8.
    But you could put managing icons on top and bottom of the screen, balancing the width ratio.

For me could just be an option inside email composition, that's where you need it. Sometime I need two hubs: one to compose email and the other to search for other emails or attachments.
    You could have an option "set apart" while composing an email, in that case you would find the email on one part of the screen and a full OS on the other (hub included).

You could have a "1280x720" screen (so that apps would see it as a Z30) with options on top to manage the window, like "enable keyboard input", "close view" and such, and a "1440x710" screen dedicated to the email composition.
    07-26-14 01:30 PM
    I have used this feature extensively on Samsung and LG devices with 5.5 and 6 inch screens. It seems this will be next to useless given the dimensions of the screen. Even the sizes I mentioned are cramped when using dual panel.
    07-26-14 01:31 PM
    I have used this feature extensively on Samsung and LG devices with 5.5 and 6 inch screens. It seems this will be next to useless given the dimensions of the screen. Even the sizes I mentioned are cramped when using dual panel.
    The difference between all of those devices and the Passport is that the physical keyboard is more likely to allow you to actually do something useful even if the viewing area may be small.

I'm not really sure how Samsung and LG manage any type of keyboard need when using dual screen,.. or is it just good for "watching" a video and "reading" something at the same time?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 01:40 PM
    Ya I really think the the full keyboard (not on the screen) is a huge differentiation between the Passport implemented of this versus 5.5-6in all touch devices. Even with the Passport's smaller split screens you will still be able to do something useful like typing. And if you consider the sample where it is more like two 3.25in screens there would still be room above the keyboard for a row or two of virtual keys for number/symbol input.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 02:32 PM
    It's still possible, but I think this speculation made more sense when we all thought that the Passport would feature a 5 inch screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 03:19 PM
    The difference between all of those devices and the Passport is that the physical keyboard is more likely to allow you to actually do something useful even if the viewing area may be small.

I'm not really sure how Samsung and LG manage any type of keyboard need when using dual screen,.. or is it just good for "watching" a video and "reading" something at the same time?

Posted via CB10
    The display area remaining with keyboard deployed is about all the passport will have to begin with. As I understand it the passport also requires a virtual keyboard of sorts while entering text. The panels will be too narrow. I would imagine it to be a royal pain in the ***.

I use it for reference, calendar/ PDF while text/ email things like that.
    07-26-14 04:52 PM
    I think it would be tough doing side by side since its so skinny. I think top/bottom might be better but even that is scrunched.
    This is exactly what I am talking about when I say some of us, even if we love BlackBerry, still do not understand the concept...@howarmat.

That was a great Use Case analysis by Brian. However, howarmat did not seem to grasp the concept of the square screen. @Howarmat, if you did not realise that landscape or portrait will show an app at same sizes. Come on mate, I thought you would figure that out...

just for a laugh....hehehe
    07-26-14 07:55 PM
    Someone send this idea to blackberry asap, with those renderings! This needs to be done.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 02:37 AM
    A better idea is in my opinion to overlap the screen you use over the other one. You never use both at the same time but if you wanted you can choose both equal. I used it and tested it on I believe the samsung but be honest I wish there was a overlap.

The idea of overlap is that you mostly wanted to copy something from a document or webpage to a new documt or whatever. so it's easier to swith with overlap and you have more screen size to see what you doing or typing at the documt you making.

So then you can choose two options : equal or overlap split-screen

Think about overlap in wide split screen 2,58 and 0,50 and hight 3,18 inch
    BlackBerry should use overlap and split screen also on the Z30.

How to USE
    First how to choose this, and that is just two fingers wipe down to get the quick menu so you can choose split-screen in 3 standaard like normaal, equal and overlap

The second question is how to get the right apps to show and that is done by that if you in your homepage for example you see 2 times in equal your homepage so you can use swipe and gesture like you normaly use to use a app. So just it work like you use too.

Balance
    A extra plus is in overlap is that you also can use it for balance. So you get your workspace and private space next to each other. How lovely is that
    You are TOTALLY on to something here. This makes more sense than a strict split-screen.

whatsever likes this.
    07-27-14 04:08 AM
59 123