Finally pulled the trigger on an ATT Passport yesterday and as soon as I walk in the house, zip, zero, nada for signal. Works fine in the driveway and around the yard, but working from home and using my cell for my only work number is a must and just can't handle bad signals and dropped calls. Loving the device itself! It's big, but getting used to that. Just can't make or receive any calls in home office. AT&T coverage map shows good coverage at my address and all around, but in reality it's horrible. I guess I'll have to save up money and buy one direct from BB or Amazon and try tmobile. Maybe I'll get a tmo sim and try it on my unlocked q10 and see if I can get voice service. Really wanted to keep this thing after admiring it for so long!!!!!
    08-01-15 11:20 AM
    That sucks. If you're locked into a contract with AT&T, it might be worth it to either call them and complain about the service in your area, pointing out that the map shows excellent coverage. Alternatively, you could buy a micro tower to give your service a boost.

Hopefully you can cancel the service and try someone else.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 11:24 AM
    That sucks. If you're locked into a contract with AT&T, it might be worth it to either call them and complain about the service in your area, pointing out that the map shows excellent coverage. Alternatively, you could buy a micro tower to give your service a boost.

Hopefully you can cancel the service and try someone else.

Posted via CB10
    Got it on Next, so didn't even pay anything upfront. Brand new to ATT, so I can return it within 14 days and cancel the att service without issue. Thought about the microcell, but calls on a tower will not transfer to the microcell and I'm often in the car on calls then walking into home office on same conference call. The call will drop every time. Basically it just cost me $35 (restocking fee) to find out AT&T's coverage map is completely wrong.
    08-01-15 11:29 AM
    T-Mobile offered free Signal Boosters to its customers. Hopefully AT&T has something of that sort to help you. Customer Service should offer some type of solution. Good luck.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    08-01-15 11:36 AM
    Got it on Next, so didn't even pay anything upfront. Brand new to ATT, so I can return it within 14 days and cancel the att service without issue. Thought about the microcell, but calls on a tower will not transfer to the microcell and I'm often in the car on calls then walking into home office on same conference call. The call will drop every time. Basically it just cost me $35 (restocking fee) to find out AT&T's coverage map is completely wrong.
    Make sure you test with another AT&T device. You never know if there's an issue with your Passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 11:56 AM
    Ya, I have at&t and they say they have great coverage. My issue is I usually get a signal most anywhere but it's not a strong signal. I have the same issue as the OP at work. Go inside and I loose the signal. Walk close to the door and the signal comes back. I believe at&t uses a higher band around me for coverage but it doesn't penetrate walls indoors very well. If there's nothing wrong with the PP, then your only option is a microcell at home. How's the signal everywhere else?
    08-01-15 12:18 PM
    Make sure you test with another AT&T device. You never know if there's an issue with your Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, popped sim into an old phone. Nothing.
    08-01-15 12:23 PM
    Ya, I have at&t and they say they have great coverage. My issue is I usually get a signal most anywhere but it's not a strong signal. I have the same issue as the OP at work. Go inside and I loose the signal. Walk close to the door and the signal comes back. I believe at&t uses a higher band around me for coverage but it doesn't penetrate walls indoors very well. If there's nothing wrong with the PP, then your only option is a microcell at home. How's the signal everywhere else?
    Signal around town seems decent. Microcell won't pickup the call when I'm moving from outside to inside house. Can't have that since I work from home.
    08-01-15 12:26 PM
    I bought a cell extender, boom, all of my problems solved. I used to barely get one bar in the house. Now I have 4 or 5, calls and text come through great.
    08-01-15 01:43 PM
    I bought a cell extender, boom, all of my problems solved. I used to barely get one bar in the house. Now I have 4 or 5, calls and text come through great.
    The microcell? It will not pick up a call in progress if I'm just getting home then go inside. I can't have that as I'm on tons of conference calls.

Do you have something else?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 01:50 PM
    The microcell? It will not pick up a call in progress if I'm just getting home then go inside. I can't have that as I'm on tons of conference calls.

Do you have something else?

Posted via CB10
    You are correct that the cell extender cannot transfer your calls from cellular to broadband. These network extenders use your broadband connection to initiate a VoIP call.
    08-01-15 01:58 PM
    You are correct that the cell extender cannot transfer your calls from cellular to broadband. These network extenders use your broadband connection to initiate a VoIP call.
    That's a big issue for me. I work from home. Walk the dog while on calls. Can't be dropping and dialing back in all the time.

Posted via Passport!
    08-01-15 02:05 PM
    Out of curiousity, what did you have before that worked? A different carrier? May have to switch back.
    08-01-15 03:40 PM
    Out of curiousity, what did you have before that worked? A different carrier? May have to switch back.
    Q10 verizon

Posted via Passport!
    08-01-15 04:12 PM
    If they advertised service coverage for your area yet failed to provide it, you should have to pay a restocking fee argue with them or tell them to build a new tower in your area.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 06:17 PM
    It's true, unfortunately. No transfers.

My AT&T signal is poor (I have to use a micro tower at home), and it's not AT&T's fault. It's because my Chicago suburb won't permit them to add towers. Pure and simple. I've tried to fight it politically, but no go.
    08-01-15 06:39 PM
    I had the same issue a year ago with Verizon but since switched to AT&T and all is good. These carriers are so jammed up with traffic they can't upgrade their systems fast enough.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 06:58 PM
    Never know if the switch will work until you try it. But from past experience, where Sprint and ATT don't work, I've found Verizon and Tmobile to work.
    And the same in return.

Actually I had Sprint before. Moved to a new house. Their map said coverage was excellent. But it wasn't. I complained about it once, they sent someone out to look at it in their truck I'm guessing. They said it checked out fine.
    I complained again, they sent someone to my front door on foot to check the service. Low and behold, my house and 3 others around there were in a dead zone. Just the three.

And could prove that because I would go down to a neighbors house three doors down and service was perfect. The tech did the same and they agreed.

I ended up getting a full refund, and so many months of discounted service that they actually lost money.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    08-02-15 12:51 AM
    Never know if the switch will work until you try it. But from past experience, where Sprint and ATT don't work, I've found Verizon and Tmobile to work.
    And the same in return.

Actually I had Sprint before. Moved to a new house. Their map said coverage was excellent. But it wasn't. I complained about it once, they sent someone out to look at it in their truck I'm guessing. They said it checked out fine.
    I complained again, they sent someone to my front door on foot to check the service. Low and behold, my house and 3 others around there were in a dead zone. Just the three.

And could prove that because I would go down to a neighbors house three doors down and service was perfect. The tech did the same and they agreed.

I ended up getting a full refund, and so many months of discounted service that they actually lost money.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    Every word you wrote matches my experience to a T. I've had cell phones since 1989 and those are my experiences as well. Sometimes I think cell providers throw darts at a map and call them "serviceable zones". Unless you live in a metropolitan area, you usually don't get strong tower presence from all large providers. That's fine, except don't advertise as if you do.
    Last edited by quangtran1; 08-02-15 at 06:54 AM.
    08-02-15 06:29 AM
    I work from home as well, and I'm out and about quite often when I'm in town. I'm on conference calls more than half the day, so I can relate. You might need to strategically plan your outings around the start and end times of your calls so that you're not jumping on and off of calls in progress.

Depending on the call, I sometimes avoid moving from indoors to outdoors as it can be very apparent to others on the line. Most of the time, I will get myself situated in my car just prior to a call so that my sound is consistent. I've also sat in my driveway to finish a call rather than making the transition mid call. But that's what works for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 09:11 AM
    I work from home as well, and I'm out and about quite often when I'm in town. I'm on conference calls more than half the day, so I can relate. You might need to strategically plan your outings around the start and end times of your calls so that you're not jumping on and off of calls in progress.

Depending on the call, I sometimes avoid moving from indoors to outdoors as it can be very apparent to others on the line. Most of the time, I will get myself situated in my car just prior to a call so that my sound is consistent. I've also sat in my driveway to finish a call rather than making the transition mid call. But that's what works for me.

Posted via CB10
    I think at this point I'm just going to have to find a new q10 or classic for verizon. I can't worry about calls dropping all the time and can't plan my activities around that. I just need it to work. Really stinks. Like I said, I might go get a tmo sim and try it the pp just to see what that service is like here. Everyone I know in this area has verizon, so I don't have any friends with tmo that can come over and try it out. Oh well.
    08-02-15 09:50 AM
    Well, there is a $75 rebate on the microcell, and given that I would pay a $35 restock fee, the microcell would really cost me about $40, so maybe I'll give it a shot and see how it works throughout my home and when leaving home office - transferring from microcell to att tower. I'll do whatever I can to keep this phone!
    08-03-15 10:32 AM
    While on Verizon with personal plan, I did not notice too many weak signal times.

Company was on TMOBILE and was tough when traveling in the Midwest.

Then company went to ATT for iPhone.

I finally got into a Classic.

While driving through Wisconsin, I always hit a patch without coverage. Then I was at a new location north of my residence , and zero coverage. Never had that in the suburbs.

I guess anything is possible. Do hope it works out for you.

 Classic
    08-03-15 10:48 AM
    I would be looking at an external antenna and then attach that to something. Many offices and homes do this. Microscell may not be enough. Doest the microcell support an external antenna connection. I would spend another $60 for that.
    08-03-15 06:49 PM
    Sorry if mentioned.
    Microcell from ATT. $150 w/ a $75 rebate. Solved my problem.

BleedBlk-
    08-03-15 07:12 PM
28 12