This is purely speculation as I have no source, but I think this is an interesting point.

So, it looks like the Silver Edition will be released really quite soon. It doesn't make a lot of sense to release a new phone that is basically just a revamped Passport if it's just going to be the same BB10 without Google Services, or if it's not going to be added to some extra carrier. There has to be some incentive for BB to release this phone less than a year since the PP.

I think there could be one or two reasons. Firstly, this could be another revamp made at the request of a carrier, and BB just obliging to get the phone into more hands (though I have to say I think it's bleeding hideous, with all those exposed sensors/speakers etc on the front).

Or, perhaps it could be a 'relaunch' of the Passport including Google Services (or running Android, whatever), and they revamped the exterior to fit with AT&T requirements which they think made sense (the curving of the edges - which I happen to hate but oh well).

Would it REALLY make sense to release another normal BB10 phone when they may well soon be releasing an Android device outside the UK/USA, or perhaps releasing the slider with Google Services/Android?

Comments welcome!
    08-03-15 05:13 PM
    It's a redesigned Passport man. Let it go lol. I almost feel bad you typed all that out for such a simple answer.
    ATMJOE, LazyEvul, rthonpm and 28 others like this.
    08-03-15 05:25 PM
    Since they didn't call it the Android edition Passport and since it is just in a new color, I'd be really surprised if it didn't run BB10.
    08-03-15 05:32 PM
    Since they didn't call it the Android edition Passport and since it is just in a new color, I'd be really surprised if it didn't run BB10.
    It runs BB10. I'm honestly not even sure why this is still a debate.
    08-03-15 05:35 PM
    It's a redesigned Passport man. Let it go lol. I almost feel bad you typed all that out for such a simple answer.
    I'm not one of these people obsessed with the whole Google thing. What I'm saying is that there is no business sense in just redesigning the Passport for no reason. It makes even less sense if all these rumours about Google Services are true. Why would a company release an unnecessary phone without a feature they're about to implement shortly after?

I think it's a little rude of you to just brush this off as if I'm some sort of saddo/lunatic. This is something to think about. It really doesn't make all that much sense for them to just release a redesigned phone.
    08-03-15 05:44 PM
    It runs BB10. I'm honestly not even sure why this is still a debate.
    As you well know, the elephants in the room are Android and the Slider, and there's been little or no word from BlackBerry about either. Until BlackBerry provides some answers, the speculation and debate will continue.
    08-03-15 05:48 PM
    I'm not one of these people obsessed with the whole Google thing. What I'm saying is that there is no business sense in just redesigning the Passport for no reason. It makes even less sense if all these rumours about Google Services are true. Why would a company release an unnecessary phone without a feature they're about to implement shortly after?

I think it's a little rude of you to just brush this off as if I'm some sort of saddo/lunatic. This is something to think about. It really doesn't make all that much sense for them to just release a redesigned phone.
    A different color scheme doesn't take alot of design resources at BBHQ. If they sell a few hundred thousand units over the lifetime of the device in Silver its probably worth it, same with Red Passport. The Classic now comes in Blue as well for the same reason.
    08-03-15 05:53 PM

I don't think the answer was rude just straight to the point. I think everyone can ask and comment as they like and it's fun. I am pretty sure though that BlackBerry will generate a little buzz ahead of an Android / Google Services launch. Cheers!!!

Posted by a BlackBerry Passport
    delgadom likes this.
    08-03-15 05:54 PM
    It's just a redesign to make it more pocket friendly. And perhaps fix a few flaws the original passport had, all the while giving it a fresh face that is more appealing to new users.

Also it's very likely they had to do this in order to 'bypass' the at&t exclusivity and send this off to t-mobile in America for example
    08-03-15 06:11 PM
    I think the Passport is a niche device and a business phone. I don't think it would be the one running Android. Just my 2 cents though.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 06:35 PM
    It's a redesign. This is a quick way to introduce a "new" device which will have people interested and get through the current parts that are applicable to the passport. Blackberry has been trying to cut costs anywhere they can. Smart to do this cause I am sure a good portion of people will upgrade and if any of the carriers are interested its another avenue to the market. Hopefully a win-win.
    08-03-15 06:36 PM
    I think it's a little rude of you to just brush this off as if I'm some sort of saddo/lunatic.
    Srsly?!?

Via Pasta CB10
    delgadom likes this.
    08-03-15 07:00 PM
    Already a thread that can be used to post info in.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11830830
    08-03-15 07:21 PM
    To maybe sell it on Verizon?
    When does the AT&T exclusivity deal end?
    Would I jump ship back to Verizon from AT&T ? Yes.
    08-03-15 08:38 PM
    It's a redesigned model for those who can't afford the original Passport. In short, 'cheap', 'Asian model', 'plastic', etc. And no Google services. Sad but true.

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-03-15 08:57 PM
    It's a redesigned model for those who can't afford the original Passport. In short, 'cheap', 'Asian model', 'plastic', etc. And no Google services. Sad but true.

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Nope,its more expensive than original passport

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    jdesignz likes this.
    08-03-15 09:02 PM
    Most likely it's a mix of all the above. An opportunity to introduce a,new device (updated with more premium materials), use up current or committed parts inventory ( low r&d cost), price increase (improve profitability).

The first 2 cost BlackBerry virtually nothing. And if current inventory has been paid for by current device sales then the new decide is additional profit taking. Especially considering that many buyers may already have one and decide to buy this one with nicer fit and finish. That's double dipping from the same sales pot.

Keep in mind, the Porsche edition devices are standard BlackBerry devices at their core; only repackaged into a super premium case.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 09:16 PM
    Sure it's a redesign but why make it look a lot like the AT&T variant? Maybe they're using parts from the AT&T mold?

I don't think anything as wide as the Passport should be placed in pants pockets anyway. A jacket pocket, sure, but not in any pocket that is subject to being placed under pressure from bending.

As for the OS, we'll just have to wait and see for confirmation but I'm not sure the same specs would run a different OS.

Passport
    08-03-15 09:24 PM
    Since we already "know" that it is the Slider that will run Android, it is more likely that the new silver Passport will run on iOS.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-03-15 09:41 PM
    Interesting thoughts, but I have to agree Bla1ze here. It's nothing more than a fancy colour variant. It certainly would've been cool if there was more to it, but there sadly isn't.
    08-03-15 10:27 PM

....but that's what they will do so just relax lol

over-thinking
    08-04-15 03:17 AM
    The OP is right. The passport is perfect so new passport has to be at another level. May be a fully google services compatible device. It make more sens than just revamping the actual one with no value added stuff.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 06:09 AM
    I just lol'd
    08-04-15 06:16 AM
    08-04-15 06:34 AM
    Most likely it's a mix of all the above. An opportunity to introduce a,new device (updated with more premium materials), use up current or committed parts inventory ( low r&d cost), price increase (improve profitability).

The first 2 cost BlackBerry virtually nothing. And if current inventory has been paid for by current device sales then the new decide is additional profit taking. Especially considering that many buyers may already have one and decide to buy this one with nicer fit and finish. That's double dipping from the same sales pot.

Keep in mind, the Porsche edition devices are standard BlackBerry devices at their core; only repackaged into a super premium case.

Posted via CB10
    Do we know who is manufacturing the new Passport?

It might also be that they changed manufactures and that required some other changes be made. Kinda wonder if once inventory is sold, if this will be the only Passport on shopblackberry.com and AT&T.

But I do agree with the OP... WHY? Why not make a few internal changes and call it the Passport 2?
    08-04-15 08:01 AM
51 123