It's clear that blackberry has a huge hit on its hands with the passport. Amazon and shopblackberry can't hardly keep it in stock. And in the states, it has yet to be officially rolled out by AT&T. When people out and about ask me about my passport, they have no idea what it is. It seems to me that blackberry had vastly underestimated the potential consumer demand for the passport. It's unique, it's innovative, and it's one of the very best phones on the market. They also have a new advertising firm that seems really competent.

What do you guys (and gals) think, should blackberry build their stock up for the AT&T rollout and then put some real money into advertising it? Or is it better to just keep it low key and let word of mouth continue to be what drives sales. Maybe they simply don't have the cash left to make a big advertising push. But it seems to me, that the passport is their best chance in a long time to really become relevant again.
    10-22-14 10:31 AM
    More advertising? More of nothing is just a big fat nothing. Marketing for the passport is completely absent. Why are they still using that strategy? That's a question I have been asking since I'm a BlackBerry fan.

Edit: but I agree with you that It is a great device and they SHOULD advertise.

Posted via CB10
    Tompire likes this.
    10-22-14 10:36 AM
    Because you are not the core customer.

There's a huge difference between advertising business to consumer vs the business to business.

You won't see advertising unless you are a subscriber to BES or a prospective client.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:39 AM
    More advertising? More of nothing is just a big fat nothing. Marketing for the passport is completely absent. Why are they still using that strategy? That's a question I have been asking since I'm a BlackBerry fan.

Edit: but I agree with you that It is a great device and they SHOULD advertise.

Posted via CB10
    i've seen tons of adverts for passport all over facebook, in airports, all over canadian cities and papers. they have done a much better job showing how much the passport is changing the game vs older/bigger devices.
    10-22-14 10:41 AM
    Because you are not the core customer.

There's a huge difference between advertising business to consumer vs the business to business.

You won't see advertising unless you are a subscriber to BES or a prospective client.

Posted via CB10
    That may be true there is a lot of businesses out there without BES that could be interested by that device. You can't buy if you don't know it's out there.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:44 AM
    i've seen tons of adverts for passport all over facebook, in airports, all over canadian cities and papers. they have done a much better job showing how much the passport is changing the game vs older/bigger devices.
    I've seen it too because I'm a BlackBerry subscriber on the social media, but nobody around me know about that device, personal or work related.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:46 AM
    BlackBerry is already out of stock with out much advertising. What if they do? I am at airport to travel Dubai to buy one. See how expansive it will be by adding travelling cost.

Posted via CB10
    ThaMunsta and eldrover like this.
    10-22-14 10:49 AM
    My Passport draws a lot of attention while I'm out and about with its unique look. I always ask to see their phone and give the same generic reply. "You better stick with yours, because this phone isn't for beginners" a nice way of saying your phone is junk but this Passport is out of your league...lol

Posted via CB10
    thymaster, EsJayDee, hpjrt and 1 others like this.
    10-22-14 10:59 AM
    My Passport draws a lot of attention while I'm out and about with its unique look. I always ask to see their phone and give the same generic reply. "You better stick with yours, because this phone isn't for beginners" a nice way of saying your phone is junk but this Passport is out of your league...lol

Posted via CB10
    lol that's funny, I like it.
    10-22-14 11:14 AM
    I see BlackBerry Passport commercial on tv all the time?
    10-22-14 11:33 AM
    I get attention regarding my Passport and appreciate that there is little advertising for it in the UK.

BlackBerry has always been the mysterious device that is only used by people "in the know"

It is a new status symbol. It is rare. And you see celebrities on the TV showing it off.

This is much better than advertising than littering everything with nice pictures of it.

Over the next few quarters there will be quite a large adoption of the passport and other BlackBerry devices.

Those few million people will be part of an exclusive group.

I believe that the second generation will be stocked by most of the carriers once again and therefore provide free advertising.

There is no need at the moment to spend money on excessive advertising.

Most of it is generally ignored by the public.

The Z10 has been pushed in London for a few weeks with Euston station just having BlackBerry advertising.

Did it help? No.

First the sentiment needs to change.
    This will Happen through the elite group of users.
    Afterwards you can increase the adoption and awareness. If done too early, you just waste money.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.632 and Passport with the same version
    thymaster and pituCaleya like this.
    10-22-14 11:53 AM
    Social Media is low cost advertising. It's much more cost effective than putting 30 second spots on TV.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    10-22-14 11:54 AM
    I see BlackBerry Passport commercial on tv all the time?
    I remember a lot of Z10 commercials on TV, but I saw none for the passport. Maybe it's just me, good they are out there somewhere.
    10-22-14 12:24 PM
    I get attention regarding my Passport and appreciate that there is little advertising for it in the UK.

BlackBerry has always been the mysterious device that is only used by people "in the know"

It is a new status symbol. It is rare. And you see celebrities on the TV showing it off.

This is much better than advertising than littering everything with nice pictures of it.

Over the next few quarters there will be quite a large adoption of the passport and other BlackBerry devices.

I believe that the second generation will be stocked by most of the carriers once again and therefore provide free advertising.

The Z10 has been pushed in London for a few weeks with Euston station just having BlackBerry advertising.

Did it help? No.

Afterwards you can increase the adoption and awareness. If done too early, you just waste money.

I was about to say that I disagree with you, but after reading all of your post, it does make sense. I guess we have to be patient.
    10-22-14 12:32 PM
    The TV spots should have been about the reinvention of BlackBerry, not showing off the Z10 (which to the general public, looks like another phone) or the Q10 (which to the general public looks like the old BlackBerry's). And definitely, it shouldn't have been so abstract like the Super Bowl commercial in the States. So far, the best spots I've seen are from BlackBerry UK on YouTube.
    10-22-14 12:59 PM
    Couldn't agree more. Back in the days when Blackberry hit their peak record sales, it was all thanks to words of mouth and fanboys doing the selling for Blackberry, not advertising. I wouldn't have known about Blackberry if it wasn't for my boss who handed me the Curve 8300 for work and that's when I've fallen in love with Blackberry. Then celebrities like Obama and Paris Hilton became free spokes person for the company. Blackberry didn't even need to advertise back then.

Right now I don't think money should be wasted on advertising to make a come back because the brand isn't relevant to the consumers anymore. People wouldn't understand what the new phone is about or can care less.

Blackberry just needs to release a couple of new brilliant and innovative product and the fanboys will have their back. They will most likely do the advertising for Blackberry and that's more powerful then placing ad times on TV. They are the frontline salesman for Blackberry right now. They own the phone so most like people around them will ask about their experience with the phone.

Did it help? No.

spike12 and Niro Sri like this.
    10-22-14 01:39 PM
    Sure! Lets start advertising; just as soon as BB isn't struggling to keep it in stock for more than 5 hours a week if that

To be clear, this device is FLYING off the shelf. No amount of advertising has made that happen and until it slows down, no amount of advertising will benefit things. Once stock stabilizes I'm sure you will see some ads but it would be a waste of money at this stage. People would just get frustrated seeing an ad and then not being able to buy it anywhere!
    thymaster likes this.
    10-22-14 02:48 PM
    I've seen ads on Twitter.

Could be useful when they have stock to sell...

Not sure how many they've sold, of course -- could just be limited supply.

But it's a great phone!

Posted with my Passport via CB10!
    10-22-14 03:16 PM
    Yes. They need to advertise and will.

Those saying they don't because of stock issues need to think about that a little deeper. iPhone has been out of stock for the most part for a month and they are pushing hard.

I'd blast it out there especially with it being Q4

Posted via Passport~!
    10-22-14 04:11 PM
    It's hard to compare this to an iPhone marketing campaign. BlackBerry took a cautious inventory approach. iPhone expected, like usual, hoards of people lining up camping out for the device. I just think BB should just consider changing gears and ramping up production before sinking money into advertising. I think letting the carriers and bloggers handle marketing for the first few weeks isn't a bad idea. It's not like they were candid about the device. Anyone who cared found out about the device at very latest, at the last earnings call.

As Chen stated earlier, its a good thing that they have inventory problems. Once that problem goes away there is no doubt next in line would be the marketing problem
    10-22-14 08:06 PM
    I like what BlackBerry is doing when it come to getting the Passport in the hands of celebs that are current doing tv spots. Should be veryy effective and cheap.
    10-23-14 11:56 AM
    They are doing well, I have relinquished my armchair CEO position of BlackBerry... was in there for quite a few years now and finally turned the company around by making sure they deliver better specs in their phones... or so I think... lol

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-23-14 12:07 PM
    10-25-14 02:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Do you honestly think with an attitude like that you are helping your beloved company sell phones? Your insecurity and low self-esteem isn't the thing that matters right now. It's about you taking the time to show these people your phone and how things are done in the BB10 operating system. Superior? Absolutely not; just a different way of doing the same things everyone else is doing with their phone except they usually have more support and apps to make themselves more productive. This website is more of a support group for you all to make you feel better about yourselves than celebrating what you love about your phones and getting the word out. You are not part of the elite but part of a struggling company trying to keep above water which brings me to my next point:

The only thing BlackBerry is focused on right now is keeping above water. That is their only strategy. The shortage is not any grand design. All it is, is Chen not wanting to create more phones like the flop that was the Z10. They are not focused on consumers which means the majority of people on these forums but instead just on business. As such, Chen is not going to waste precious money attempting to do the same thing Thor did for the Z10 which ultimately failed. That money is going toward wooing businesses to switch to BlackBerry. Even with the Z10, we saw precious little Z10 advertising here in the US but I am unsure about Europe/Asia/Africa. The most was that ******** super bowl commercial that explained nothing about what the Z10 could do.

Simple answer: BlackBerry doesn't have it in their budget to do wide-scale advertising and why would they when they are focused on business? They've already tried appealing to the masses, now it's down to focusing on that which BlackBerry can actually compete in: business.
    Warlack and Niro Sri like this.
    10-25-14 03:40 AM
    Everyone here in Dubai knows about it so there doesn't really need to be more advertising here

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 04:27 AM
27 12