Am I doing something wrong on my passport, or should this be a bug or deficiency ?
    11-23-14 03:34 PM
    You can't run apps from the SD card in any case. You can store some data files but that's about it. Apps themselves will NOT run off SD card.
    11-23-14 03:37 PM
    You can't run apps from the SD card in any case. You can store some data files but that's about it. Apps themselves will NOT run off SD card.
    That is lame ...so the android compatibility is very basic at best... the more I use the passport,, more I realize I would have had to return it if I couldn't snap android apps in... for instance, I have 2 security camera & dvr systems at 2 locations requiring 2 different android apps to be viewed... if BlackBerry is so enterprise oriented, the BBOS should offer this integrated in the hub for notifications, etc.
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-23-14 03:46 PM
    That is lame ...so the android compatibility is very basic at best... the more I use the passport,, more I realize I would have had to return it if I couldn't snap android apps in... for instance, I have 2 security camera & dvr systems at 2 locations requiring 2 different android apps to be viewed... if BlackBerry is so enterprise oriented, the BBOS should offer this integrated in the hub for notifications, etc.
    Don't get what that has to do with running apps from your SD card but OK.
    ultra07, acovey and kthhrrsn like this.
    11-23-14 04:04 PM
    Even as an android fan having just switched to a Passport, I think you are being way over the top in your expectations about what you can and can't do regarding the Android portion of the OS. Just because Android fans clamoured for being able to move apps to sd doesn't mean anybody wants that on Blackberry.

Also, I don't think Blackberry would consider watching a webcam as counting as proper 'enterprise' usage.
    sk8er_tor and acovey like this.
    11-23-14 04:06 PM
    If they would not be available, I would not be able to avail myself of the features of my security systems which include monitoring events at business locales...
    Don't get what that has to do with running apps from your SD card but OK.
    11-23-14 04:12 PM
    Also, I don't think Blackberry would consider watching a webcam as counting as proper 'enterprise' usage.
    Not just watching a webcam but doing so from the HUB, with is the messaging center.

If they would not be available, I would not be able to avail myself of the features of my security systems which include monitoring events at business locales...
    You still haven't said why the app needs to run from an SD card.
    ultra07 likes this.
    11-23-14 04:13 PM
    On my HP touchpad, webOS has become a liability resolved by sideload of android which functions fully...
    Even as an android fan having just switched to a Passport, I think you are being way over the top in your expectations about what you can and can't do regarding the Android portion of the OS. Just because Android fans clamoured for being able to move apps to sd doesn't mean anybody wants that on Blackberry.

11-23-14 04:16 PM
    You still haven't answered what that has do with running from SD card.
    ultra07 likes this.
    11-23-14 04:16 PM
    Space...
    Not just watching a webcam but doing so from the HUB, with is the messaging center.

You still haven't said why the app needs to run from an SD card.
    11-23-14 04:17 PM
    Space...
    Lol. You have 32GB to make use of internally and up to 128GB through SD, not even counting the infinite amount of storage you can add through cloud services. Are you really that worried about space? Did you come from a 16GB Android device with no SD card slot or something? Cause it sounds like you're just trying to make excuses now. If the Passport isn't meeting your needs, then go get something that does. Pretty simple.
    ultra07, acovey and sk8er_tor like this.
    11-23-14 04:19 PM
    Space...the apps are quite large (bloat) but are the ones that match my systems... so, we can tern the android app feature of bbos as "crippleware" & likely unnecessarily so... just sayin'
    Space...
    11-23-14 04:23 PM
    Hang on, are you saying you have flashed android on your touchpad, and run it as the only OS on it? If so, of course android will work fine, as android is the primary OS on that device. On BB10, Android is not the primary OS, it is merely a very useful addition to the full actual OS for being able to increase app numbers, and certainly in my case, be a big reason for finally moving to BlackBerry. At no point have BlackBerry ever said that the OS is a full on Android OS. It is just a runtime basically.
    Evindzer and ultra07 like this.
    11-23-14 04:28 PM
    Space...the apps are quite large (bloat) but are the ones that match my systems... so, we can tern the android app feature of bbos as "crippleware" & likely unnecessarily so... just sayin'
    You can term it 'crippleware'. People who are smart enough to not expect a dual-booting BB10/Android device however would simply call it useful to the masses.
    ultra07 likes this.
    11-23-14 04:30 PM
    Basically the android runtime is a Virtual Machine. It has its limitations.

So because you can't run said apps inside basically a VM from your SD card, its crippleware? lets see you run a VM of windows on another windows machine, and then run something from your system that's not inside the VM... yeah I thought so, can't be done!

Sounds to me like this limitation is a deal breaker for you. Just a little FYI, any app that can be run from anywhere not local, represents a severe security breach and access point into your system, which Blackberry would not allow.
    ultra07 likes this.
    11-23-14 04:41 PM
    Try looking at tinyCam Monitor Pro at Blackberry World. It's native to BlackBerry and supports a ton of camera vendors. I use this because I monitor four locations and each location has different camera vendors. With tinyCam monitor I can view all locations using just one app.

Have been using this for quite some time in different iteration (OSes).

Maybe this could solve your problem. It can also do recording and you can indicate the location of your recording. So you could basically record to your SD card. Though I don't think this recording feature is practical in a phone as you would eat up battery if you record in the background.

Posted via CB10
    ultra07 likes this.
    11-23-14 05:01 PM
    No... my touchpad has both webOS & android full versions on it... NOT a VM...
    Basically the android runtime is a Virtual Machine. It has its limitations.

So because you can't run said apps inside basically a VM from your SD card, its crippleware? lets see you run a VM of windows on another windows machine, and then run something from your system that's not inside the VM... yeah I thought so, can't be done!

Sounds to me like this limitation is a deal breaker for you. Just a little FYI, any app that can be run from anywhere not local, represents a severe security breach and access point into your system, which Blackberry would not allow.
    11-23-14 05:04 PM
    No... my touchpad has both webOS & android full versions on it... NOT a VM...
    So you have a dual boot touchpad? So when you boot up you choose which OS to boot up to. That would mean if you boot up to Android then your basically running android.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 05:11 PM
    How much space do they take up?
    11-23-14 05:55 PM
    The BlackBerry Android Runtime is 85mb before install (so maybe 150mb installed).

How much space do you think a full dual-os would need? Not that that would ever happen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1151
    11-23-14 06:07 PM
    Am I doing something wrong on my passport, or should this be a bug or deficiency ?
    It is part of the security of BB10 that apps need to be stored on the device and not the SD card. (Otherwise you could easily modify the SD card while it was outside of the phone and introduce malware or worse). You're stuck in the 32gb that comes with the handset. The data files for the application can sit on the SD card, however.
    11-23-14 06:09 PM
    Attached Thumbnails should android apps moved to sd card run?-mockit_24112014085516.jpg  
    11-23-14 06:55 PM
    Interesting.. note to self. Mockit + Passport don't work. Will try to move it to SD and try again.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 06:58 PM
    OP, SD card is for STORAGE...internal flash is for RUNNING apps on a BlackBerry.
    PERIOD.
    Blackberry 10 does NOT run apps from the SD card...

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10/10.3.1.1151
    11-24-14 03:29 AM
    Actually, Android also don't allow this anymore since IceCreamSandwich. I dug up my old Samsung and it doesn't allow apps running in external SD card. I think the last Android version that does this is Froyo or ver 2.2

Android also saw the downside of running apps from external SD card. First off, external SD cards are not created equal. Some are slow some are fast, some have good quality, some get corrupted easily. Now imagine the problems that would arise if the user installed in an inferior SD card.

At any rate, apps are small. There is no single app bigger than 1gig. If there was, then it would hog up all of the phone's memory when it runs.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 06:43 AM
33 12