I personally think a smart way to launch Passport is putting it on BlackBerry Smartphones & Accessories ? Buy Unlocked Phones, Cases, Chargers, Batteries, Bluetooth Accessories & More and let us pay in monthly payments.

This will make it easier for people who are on a budget have a 6 month and a 12 month plan to pay for the phone monthly.

Have every single frequency on the site, supporting every single carrier. With better tags saying which carrier frequencies it supports (since now it doesn't).

Phone needs to be unlocked.

All Passport accessories need to be on the site at the exact time the phone is.

Maybe have some package deals like a bluetooth speaker/gateway only for $30 more to lure more people in. Have some case deals and definitely a dock deal.

This would make it easier for people from different countries and carriers that aren't supporting BlackBerry.

On launch date, tell all tech sites that it will be launching online, while having youtube advertisements as well.
    07-29-14 10:19 AM
    Petition Here:

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...berry-passport

petition might seem a bit silly but I really want to pay monthly for my need BB10 device

If you know any Blackberry support or Marketing team emails PM me them and I will add it to the petition
    07-29-14 10:20 AM
    I could be wrong, but in my opinion they probably wont make enough of these phones to warrant carrying the unit costs for individual consumers. That's what the carriers are for. Blackberry is in cash sensitive position as it is without worrying about receivables and chasing consumers for payments. I think the unlocked-full-price strategy they employed with the Z30 will end up working better for them.

The best bet is to throw it back at the carriers, those desperate enough for a passport should switch to a carrier that supports it. For "other countries" how do you collect on delinquent accounts?
    07-29-14 10:32 AM
    I could be wrong, but in my opinion they probably wont make enough of these phones to warrant carrying the unit costs for individual consumers. That's what the carriers are for. Blackberry is in cash sensitive position as it is without worrying about receivables and chasing consumers for payments. I think the unlocked-full-price strategy they employed with the Z30 will end up working better for them.

The best bet is to throw it back at the carriers, those desperate enough for a passport should switch to a carrier that supports it. For "other countries" how do you collect on delinquent accounts?
    i really haven't thought it through fully. I know my carrier Rogers will have it. But I'm just putting a word out for the rest of the people like Americans who want it but their carrier won't support it or listen to them.

Maybe only have it for a few countries like Germany, UK, Canada and U.S. For them to ensure they get their money back.
    07-29-14 10:35 AM
    There are other risks too. What if I buy and then stop paying because I lost my job or something similar?

BlackBerry is not in a position to absorb the losses even if they are small. And even if you assume they can absorb small losses they have to screen every buyer, credit checks etc. That adds overhead. Also results in poor customer service because it takes time to check and confirm credit worthiness and hence delay in shipping the phone.

Good thought but difficult implementation and all in all I think an idea not worth pursuing.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 12:11 AM
    Just buy using Pay Pal and do Pay Pal Credit (formerly known as Bill Me Later).

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 04:32 PM
    1) you shouldn't be buying something you can't afford

2) BlackBerry has done this in the past, for the Z10 launch in Indonesia where I was invited to do a roadshow with one of the biggest carriers there, the reason the lines were pretty long is because for the first x number of customers, they get the z10 at a discount if they pay with y credit card instalments interest free.
    DYLANHABKIRK and danfrancisco like this.
    08-03-14 04:40 PM
    It's not a bad idea. There are financing companies that will pay the vendor a discounted full price for the product immediately, and then look after collecting the monthly instalments from the buyers. The vendor sells product that otherwise wouldn't be sold, and pays a commission for it. It's how furniture and appliance stores can run "no payments, no interest for 15 months" promotions.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 08:19 PM
    1) you shouldn't be buying something you can't afford

2) BlackBerry has done this in the past, for the Z10 launch in Indonesia where I was invited to do a roadshow with one of the biggest carriers there, the reason the lines were pretty long is because for the first x number of customers, they get the z10 at a discount if they pay with y credit card instalments interest free.
    Your first point is perfect.

It's also the reason this won't happen. They aren't interested in the few who can't afford the device straight out - enterprise is the target.

That shouldn't be taken personally, but if you understood the risks associated with credit, you wouldn't care for it.

Save up for the device, and buy it.

It's a cell phone guy, it's not a life necessity - no matter how much you disagree. You can wait 6 months if it takes that long to save for you.

Posted via CB10
    anon721037 and danfrancisco like this.
    08-05-14 08:26 PM
    A smart phone is not something that financing works well for (at least not BlackBerry).

If you can't arrange low interest financing for $700 on your own, I'm sure BlackBerry isn't about to take that risk either.

The idea works for furniture companies and such because people come in and drop thousands. It's worth their time to chase if someone stops paying. If someone doesn't pay their last $100 or $200 to BlackBerry, they'll spend a lot more than that chasing it down. Won't be worth their time or effort.

A better way to get it if you can't afford it right away is to take the initial sale price and divide it by 12. Put that amount away each month and by month 6, when the device costs half of what it did on launch day, you can walk in and pay for it cash with no payments or interest due after that.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-05-14 09:36 PM
    I agree with the previous post.
    I'm not trying to be negative about this but I really doubt it really happens because this involves credit checks, banks, and stuff like that. BlackBerry is definitely not a bank nor a credit union (or we)
    This would have and huge amount of demand in order to happen.... I don't think apple does that, so....

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 10:21 PM
    I agree with the previous post.
    I'm not trying to be negative about this but I really doubt it really happens because this involves credit checks, banks, and stuff like that. BlackBerry is definitely not a bank nor a credit union (or we)
    This would have and huge amount of demand in order to happen.... I don't think apple does that, so....

Posted via CB10
    Yup, stupid idea.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    08-05-14 11:00 PM
    Just allow PayPal's Buy It Now service and you can get no interest financing. I don't BlackBerry wants to dive into the financing their own device business.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    08-07-14 03:56 PM
    LOL...

I've said this before on similar threads. The only reason carriers can offer you a "subsidized" price ( it really is just financing except your never stop paying unless you have one of the newer frequent upgrade plans), is that they (1) will only do post-paid business with you after running a credit check or collecting a hefty deposit and (2) have you sign a x-year service contract in exchange for the financed device. If you stop paying, they can use the contract to initiate collections, eventually garnishing wages, ruining your credit history, etc.

BlackBerry doesn't have similar service contracts with its device buyers, and just cannot afford any of the implementation and possible collection/enforcement processes. Furthermore, very few customers would probably end up taking advantage of it once they were asked to fill out a credit application (and then they would have to set up a division to comply with social security, etc-type of information).

If anything, they would probably get GE Capital or Commenity Bank to issue "store" credit cards for them (like when you go to buy furniture). It already feels silly filling a credit application to buy a couch, I can't imagine people doing that for a phone. Too much of a hassle for a good that devalues so quickly and is extraordinarily prone to loss and/or damage.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 08:11 PM