Former Blackberry Veteran Back to blackberry after 2 years cheating with iphone, I got my passport 2 months ago and now prepare a move to Chengdu so as I read China Unicom is the way to go.

But no LTE support as 2500mhz frequency is the standard for LTE there

Do you get 4G with Unicom there ?

I would like to get comments from people using a passport there, what speed do you get ?

Also if you have a VPN, share your experience too in this thread,

thank you and happy new year to all

I will share my own experience in March when I will be there
    01-21-15 08:33 PM
    Former Blackberry Veteran Back to blackberry after 2 years cheating with iphone, I got my passport 2 months ago and now prepare a move to Chengdu so as I read China Unicom is the way to go.

But no LTE support as 2500mhz frequency is the standard for LTE there

Do you get 4G with Unicom there ?

I would like to get comments from people using a passport there, what speed do you get ?

Also if you have a VPN, share your experience too in this thread,

thank you and happy new year to all

I will share my own experience in March when I will be there
    Unicom do have 4G service, but mostly in eastern area like Guangdong, Shanghai. I am not sure you can get it in Chengdu. You definitely need a VPN in China, especially when you using Gmail, youtube.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 08:59 PM
    You won't get LTE in mainland China. You're all but limited to China Unicom, on which you will get 3G.

Hong Kong is a different story though. LTE and 3G on most carriers (Hutch, csl., Smartone.) A little LTE on China Mobile as well.
    01-21-15 09:00 PM
    You will get FDD LTE from Unicom....TD LTE sucks balls and it is only used in China...not supported by BlackBerry. I think in big cities you will get signal, so don't worry.

I guess you might have to change settings in network options...but nothing wrong with 3G and it's fast enough if you get H+...4G you will finish so quickly and it's also more battery consuming...wifi is everywhere so no problem.

There are a lot of VPN apps...you can even download from amazon apps. The ones I was using while I was in China were something called SuperVpn and Psiphon...and there are a lot more...

Hope it will help a bit bud....

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 11:22 PM
    You will get FDD LTE from Unicom....TD LTE sucks balls and it is only used in China...not supported by BlackBerry. I think in big cities you will get signal, so don't worry.
    China Unicom has a FDD network in the mainland? I thought it was all band 41 TDD?
    01-21-15 11:26 PM
    Yes Unicom uses FDD...the number starts with 186...

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 02:44 AM
    Yes Unicom uses FDD...the number starts with 186...
    Thanks. What band is it, and do you know which places this network is in (nationwide, only Beijing, etc.)
    01-23-15 10:06 AM
    Thanks. What band is it, and do you know which places this network is in (nationwide, only Beijing, etc.)
    It works now in main big cities, and will work in more cities in 2015. But you may need to call the the customer service to have access to it, and at the meantime, change the setting on your phone, ask your friend in China and check out how to do it on Baidu.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    01-23-15 10:54 AM
    Yeah...I was in Beijing and Tianjin, had no problem...

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    01-23-15 11:03 AM
    I'm in Shanghai right now and Unicom doesn't give me 4G. Only HSPA+. The rep at the main branch said that there's only TD-LTE. Might be a Beijing thing?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 11:58 PM