Here's my situation, I upgraded to Priv but am returning it so I have the option of upgrading to a OG through my carrier for $150 or buying a SE for $600 used with some cases or $650 new.

I have hardshell, flip and screen protectors already for the OG and I can get the dock for $20.

Would you spend that much more for the SE? I thought of just getting the OG anyways, selling it and paying some of the SE with the money but that's some risk finding a buyer.

JM
    11-14-15 11:24 PM
    Except the dock your existing accessories cannot be used for SE.

Posted via CB10 from Passport SQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-15-15 12:29 AM
    Why not getting it from amazon? It's below $500 now and yes it is worth it.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 01:04 AM
    I haven't seen or played with any SE's where I live, but I love my Black Passport.
    I heard that the SE is a tad thicker and it feels more sturdy since its made of metal, but I have no issues with my original Passport.

Posted from my Passport... You've been BlackBerried!
    11-15-15 02:28 AM
    If you would really pay $600 more for the same phone minus a few cosmetic changes, that's on you. If you already have accessories for the og, sounds like a no-brainer.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8050899) likes this.
    11-15-15 02:45 AM
    If you would really pay $600 more for the same phone minus a few cosmetic changes, that's on you. If you already have accessories for the og, sounds like a no-brainer.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking, really would only be doing it for the smoother keyboard but I'm sure I would get used to the OG KB. I should have mentioned this was CDN pricing not US that's why it's higher.
    11-15-15 07:35 AM
    not exactly the same problem but I have the Se and wanted the OG so I order the OG this week only been using it today's
    the keyboard is different ,the space bar seen to be giving me the biggest problem so far. but I'm still able to press it just not smooth I just have the amzer case on the OG and it makes is thick as the SE.
    11-15-15 10:55 AM
    The SE is indeed a much better typing experience, but I much prefer the sexy look of the OG and ended up selling the SE to go back to it.

You will be fine with the OG keyboard.

Posted via CB10 // Passport Red SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2474 // Cricket Wireless
    11-15-15 11:39 AM
    If you bring your own device your contract should be cheaper
    11-15-15 11:53 AM
    If you bring your own device your contract should be cheaper
    That's the thing my work pays my contract (I expense it)but I have to pay for the device so an upgrade is fine with me as my work essentially pays the subsidy, so if I buy an unlocked phone I spend more and my work gets a small savings.
    11-15-15 12:24 PM
    Here's my situation, I upgraded to Priv but am returning it so I have the option of upgrading to a OG through my carrier for $150 or buying a SE for $600 used with some cases or $650 new.

I have hardshell, flip and screen protectors already for the OG and I can get the dock for $20.

Would you spend that much more for the SE? I thought of just getting the OG anyways, selling it and paying some of the SE with the money but that's some risk finding a buyer.

JM
    Wait, your returning a Priv and they're charging your for a Passport? Shouldn't the return credit be sufficient to cover the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 12:28 PM
    Wait, your returning a Priv and they're charging your for a Passport? Shouldn't the return credit be sufficient to cover the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    Well I did a hardware upgrade to the Priv, since I returned it they credit that back to my account then if I pay again for another phone. You don't pay anything in store so it's adjusted on the bill.
    11-15-15 04:45 PM
    RE is nicer alternative to OG and SE, even just as nice as PE :-)
    11-15-15 07:07 PM
    No. They are practically identical. People do have the placebo effect from a different appearance of SE that is a well improved from OG. I personally know the OEM of SE people, what people claimed about keyboard is not entirely true. The keyboard supplier of SE is different from OG, not to say it's superior or revised version, but different patch.

I would definitely pick up an OG for that awesome price. Unless you want the aesthetic of SE, or else I see no major difference between the two,which doesn't justify the $500 diff.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:37 PM
    No. They are practically identical. People do have the placebo effect from a different appearance of SE that is a well improved from OG. I personally know the OEM of SE people, what people claimed about keyboard is not entirely true. The keyboard supplier of SE is different from OG, not to say it's superior or revised version, but different patch.

I would definitely pick up an OG for that awesome price. Unless you want the aesthetic of SE, or else I see no major difference between the two,which doesn't justify the $500 diff.

Posted via CB10
    Lol you must be joking. The typing experience is so different between the two devices. Either you haven't owned both, or you're smoking some serious crack.

11-15-15 07:44 PM
    Lol you must be joking. The typing experience is so different between the two devices. Either you haven't owned both, or you're smoking some serious crack.

I can't change your perception about this topic, each of their own. The OEM supplier opinion is good enough to justify.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:48 PM
    Poi25:

I am not saying there is no difference in keyboard. Like I said, it's different OEM supplier and diff patch. If people want to conclude the end result of being one is superior than the other, that's fine. I am just telling the truth that diff supplier and patch do result different experience, but definitely not Cuz BlackBerry refined the keyboard (passport in this case).

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:52 PM
    Well I did a hardware upgrade to the Priv, since I returned it they credit that back to my account then if I pay again for another phone. You don't pay anything in store so it's adjusted on the bill.
    Ah okay, that's what I was expecting. I don't know how much of a concern the screen lifting or double typing on the normal Passport actually are, but I'd probably opt for that one.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:56 PM
    Poi25:

I am not saying there is no difference in keyboard. Like I said, it's different OEM supplier and diff patch. If people want to conclude the end result of being one is superior than the other, that's fine. I am just telling the truth that diff supplier and patch do result different experience, but definitely not Cuz BlackBerry refined the keyboard (passport in this case).

Posted via CB10
    Please. Now you're getting into nitpicking definitions. It's a lot easier and better marketing to just say "we refined the keyboard," than "we utilized a different OEM supplier and patch process for the new keyboard, but it's designed the same."

Same reason Apple says "our new A9X" chip and not "we licensed Cortex cores and instruction sets from ARM and mixed and matched in house to create this version of SoC."

They refined the ******* keyboard.

11-15-15 07:56 PM
    Please. Now you're getting into nitpicking definitions. It's a lot easier and better marketing to just say "we refined the keyboard," than "we utilized a different OEM supplier and patch process for the new keyboard, but it's designed the same."

Same reason Apple says "our new A9X" chip and not "we licensed Cortex cores and instruction sets from ARM and mixed and matched in house to create this version of SoC."

They refined the ******* keyboard.

I agree with your opinion about marketing. At the end, it all depends on we consumers want to buy a newer version with difference in price tag. In this case (OP question), no I wouldn't. Some people might, it's their decision. For me, I would rather keep the OG and wait for the next gen with newer innovations and improvements. Passport is a very well made device which makes me no desire to swap one currently. To OP, either OG or SE won't be a bad purchase, he won't regret of getting either one. I am here just to share my thoughts to OP's concern.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 08:03 PM
    If I was ordering from ShopBB and it was only $50 more it would be a no brainer but $500 is a stretch lol
    11-15-15 09:12 PM
    What about B&H?

I might re-buy the SE
    11-15-15 09:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    If all things were equal in terms of cost, I think the OP should buy an SE. I have had both phones. Sold both but bought the SE a second time. I prefer it to my priv too (which will be sold on).

SE's slightly different build and keyboard does make it much easier to type on. Keys on original a very stiff and angular corners at bottom don't aid typing. Original looks great though (particularly in black). In terms of aesthetics imo, SE is slightly less pretty at front but the battery cover of SE and grip kill the original. It is all subjective though.

Inside, phones are identical. So if you are being charged the world for the SE and virtually nothing for the original, only then would it make sense to go for the original imo
    11-16-15 01:56 AM