ShopCrackberry sells the below power supply/ charger in the Passport section, for the Passport. I own two of these chargers, from another source. Same exact charger and specs. When I plug these in my Passport, it warns me to use the correct charger but even scarier, when I go to the device manager, I get a big red exclamation point. I know it is rated at a higher current then the OEM charger by 700 ma. So,
    * Would you use it?
    * Is it safe, i.e. won't damage my beloved Passport
    * Should ShopCrackberry be clearly selling it for the Blackberry Passport?

Link:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=jQPT-8cK
    01-05-15 07:30 PM
    the power supply that comes with the passport is:
    INPUT: 120v-240v
    OUTPUT: 5v at 1300mA

I am suing (as a regular non removable) charger the Blackberry cube charger, which I purchased from Crackberry (when it was on sale!).
    Crackberry advertised the cube charger as for the Passport. It charges super quick and I cannot complain about it.
    I would say it's safe since it is under the 1300mA
    01-05-15 07:35 PM
    the power supply that comes with the passport is:
    INPUT: 120v-240v
    OUTPUT: 5v at 1300mA

I am suing (as a regular non removable) charger the Blackberry cube charger, which I purchased from Crackberry (when it was on sale!).
    Crackberry advertised the cube charger as for the Passport. It charges super quick and I cannot complain about it.
    I would say it's safe since it is under the 1300mA
    GeoK- Last I checked, 2A (Amps) is 2000ma- Significantly higher then 1300ma (1.3A) I pointed out it is 700ma Higher then OEM.
    01-05-15 07:57 PM
    I think your power supply might damage your battery as it will charge it too fast. Slower charging (up to a point) is safe but charging faster than it's designed to it will defo damage the battery shortening its lifespan, not to mention serious danger of triggering fire/explosion of the battery itself.
    01-05-15 08:04 PM
    I think your power supply might damage your battery as it will charge it too fast. Slower charging (up to a point) is safe but charging faster than it's designed to it will defo damage the battery shortening its lifespan, not to mention serious danger of triggering fire/explosion of the battery itself.
    I read that we can use the PlayBook charger. Isn't that theoretically charging it faster? I've always loved using the pb charger.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 08:19 PM
    I read that we can use the PlayBook charger. Isn't that theoretically charging it faster? I've always loved using the pb charger.

Posted via CB10
    The Playbook charger doesn't give me a big red warning exclamation point in my device manager.
    01-06-15 06:46 AM
    It is probably the wiring of the Samsung charger. Blackberry has resistance on the data lines of a USB charging cord so the phone knows it can draw more than 500ma from the charger. It it doesn't see this, it is warning that the charger may not supply enough current to charge the phone.

You could use that Samsung charger if you used a charge only cable. AT&T used to sell them. It is a regular USB cable with the data lines shorted at the phone side, open at the USB charger side. You can also make a regular USB cable into a charge only by slitting it open, cutting the smaller data lines, then stripping and connecting the two data lines going to the phone end of the cable. If you google the USB port specifications, you will see all this mentioned regarding signalling a USB port current rating and signalling it to devices. Samsung and Apple seemed to have ignore the specification.

I would avoid most third party chargers for this reason. The USB port chargers designed for Apple devices typically have this problem too if used to charge a Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 07:07 AM
    The fact that it's 2a is fine. As others have said, the Playbook charger is 2a and it's works great. I wouldn't worry about that aspect, but the fact that it gives you a warning would be reason for me not to use that particular charger. Clearly there's a reason.

That said, I own that same charger, it came with my galaxy note 10.1. I had never tried it with my BlackBerry before but I just did now to see and it works fine. No warning... you might just have a defective one. In my experience that error message has always been associated with chargers providing too little power. Not too much.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 07:17 AM
    The fact that it's 2a is fine. As others have said, the Playbook charger is 2a and it's works great. I wouldn't worry about that aspect, but the fact that it gives you a warning would be reason for me not to use that particular charger. Clearly there's a reason.

That said, I own that same charger, it came with my galaxy note 10.1. I had never tried it with my BlackBerry before but I just did now to see and it works fine. No warning... you might just have a defective one. In my experience that error message has always been associated with chargers providing too little power. Not too much.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I have two of the same charger and get same red exclamation on the battery graph. Using it with the white provided USB cable as packaged. I'm just not sure this should be a recommended product for the PP unless I got TWO defective ones?
    01-06-15 08:22 AM
    That is strange. I'd doubt you got two defective ones.. but then like I said. I have the same one and no red exclamation here..

Either way. Since it gives you the red exclamation, I wouldn't use it with your BlackBerry.

As for it being a recommended product in the CrackBerry store. Have you emailed store support to tell them it doesn't work with your phone? I'm sure they'll do something to make it right.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 07:50 PM
    The BlackBerry premium vehicle charger is 1800mA and compatible with all devices. A 2A charger isn't going to ruin your Passport.

That being said, I only use BlackBerry chargers. Partly because of bad experiences with no-name Walmart chargers, partly because I'm a little superstitious, but mostly because of brand pride.

PP
    01-06-15 08:13 PM
    I have currently three ultra fast chargers well above 2amps and I use them all sporadically and I've never received a red exclamation warning in the batter profiles in settings!

I'm currently using the VENTEV dual 2.1 USB charger block and zero issues. So I decided to ask one of my clients that is an electrical engineer. If I understand this correctly when electrical charges are exposed to lithium ions (molecules) they load up their opposing charges giving lithion ion polymers an electrical charge. Rapid charging occurs during the first 75% then trickle chargers to complete the electrical load. The higher the amperage the faster this process takes place. However there are IC chips built in to these charger blocks that regulate the uptake and temperature.

Most commercial cell phone chargers are between 0.8 amps to 2.1
    And higher amperage are actually better for lithium ion polymer batteries but the reverse is true for old nicad batteries.

I am told it is safe as long as the device has an Ic chip, and charging at moderate temperatures. If it's getting hot during the charge then the heat will eventually damage the battery. But he also said buyer beware and only use recommended chargers.

Posted via CB10
    johnsoj2us likes this.
    01-07-15 06:44 AM
    Ventev 2.1amp ultra fast charger! No warnings and perfectly fine. This charger is even higher than the playbook Rapid charger.
    Is this safe for my Passport?-img_20141231_043205.jpg
    Is this safe for my Passport?-img_20150107_045556.png

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 06:57 AM
    I swapped out the white cable that comes with the ShopCrackberry Samsung charger with a BB cable and the warning went away. So for some reason it's the cable the phone doesn't like, not the charger. Thanks all.
    01-07-15 07:15 AM
    Was just going to say that I use my R/C plane battery charger which can put out a whopping 4amps, and have had 0 issues with it. I do have to admit I only use that sparingly if I'm out in the field and need a quick charge.

With my plane chargers I can see the output being "pushed" to the device its charging, even though it's capable of outputting 4amps, it only draws at the max 2.6amps. I believe the device will only draw what it can handle regardless of what you throw at it.
    01-07-15 07:48 AM
    My Passport will charge rapidly with the Playbook charger and will get to 100%. I notice if I keep my Passport connected overnight the next morning the battery level could be 89%.

Why does the battery discharge while still plugged in?

SQW100-1 I Rogers I 10.3.1.xxx
    01-07-15 09:12 AM
    My Passport will charge rapidly with the Playbook charger and will get to 100%. I notice if I keep my Passport connected overnight the next morning the battery level could be 89%.

Why does the battery discharge while still plugged in?

SQW100-1 I Rogers I 10.3.1.xxx
    Because it will Trickle charge and eventually stop charging eventhough it's plugged in!.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 12:35 AM
    Because it will Trickle charge and eventually stop charging eventhough it's plugged in!.

Posted via CB10
    That is not accurate. It will stop charging but stay regulated at 100% as needed.
    I've never seen that happen with any of my BB's. Whether I get 4 hours sleep or keep it plugged in for 14 hours or more, my Passport, Z10, Torch, and Bold are *always* at 100% when I pull the device off the charger. And that is often (in the case of my Passport and Z10) with the clock running in bedside mode and my Pebble watch connected all night through Bluetooth. (or not)
    01-08-15 03:28 PM
    A little electronics:

The important number is the voltage, not the current. You don't want to use a charger which supplies a different voltage (especially higher - I suspect a lower voltage just wouldn't charge the phone or take a long while to do so). The phone will only draw as much current as it is able to handle and not more. The current is limited internally by the device resistance, that is, I=V/R. This is how almost all commercial electronics devices work.

I charge the passport with a 2A 5V USB wall charger and a 5V portable battery. They work just fine.
    01-08-15 03:49 PM
    A little electronics:

The important number is the voltage, not the current. You don't want to use a charger which supplies a different voltage (especially higher - I suspect a lower voltage just wouldn't charge the phone or take a long while to do so). The phone will only draw as much current as it is able to handle and not more. The current is limited internally by the device resistance, that is, I=V/R. This is how almost all commercial electronics devices work.

I charge the passport with a 2A 5V USB wall charger and a 5V portable battery. They work just fine.
    As mentioned above the problem in my case was the cable not the 2A charger. I've used 2A chargers before with no problem so that's why I started this thread. I found it unusual and there had to be a reason. Geez, I hope people won't attempt to charge a USB device with a 12V charger or the like!
    01-08-15 03:56 PM
    As mentioned above the problem in my case was the cable not the 2A charger. I've used 2A chargers before with no problem so that's why I started this thread. I found it unusual and there had to be a reason. Geez, I hope people won't attempt to charge a USB device with a 12V charger or the like!
    Oh, sorry. I misunderstood.
    01-08-15 03:59 PM
    Yes what he said!

That is not accurate. It will stop charging but my Pebble watch connected all night through Bluetooth. (or not)

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 05:28 PM