A lot of forum members have been messaging me and asking me what I think about the new Passport device and I just recently got it a few days ago so I'm going to now post my problems with the device as well as the things I like. Be aware i've only had the device for 2 days and with everything I say I think it's an exceptional device with enormous power..

I've had the passport for a view days now and I think it's an extremely powerful phone but also have some gripes with it. I do think it is a great phone even with these issues and I think it's an extremely powerful work device. Overall I do like it but I do think I will migrate to the classic when it's launched as this phone doesn't have the "personal" feel. The build quality, screen, and software is excellent and overall I am definitely impressed. The size is something I need to get used to as well.

1. The trackpad is almost useless. I have tried to get into the habit of using the trackpad to scroll but it's virtually useless. With only 3 rows of keys to scroll with you barely get any scroll when you use it which makes it a pain more than something that is helping. The other thing is the trackpad is annoying sometimes because when typing it sometimes thinks you are doing something else and will go to a different place in your sentence or the magnifine glass will pop up when your just trying to type a text message. I really appreciate bb trying to integrate great technology like this but it needs lots of work, and they really made a huge mistake by not including that 4th line of keys -- just for the trackpad to be used efficiently. At first I was against the fourth line of keys as it was pointless to me but now I see that the trackpad really needs it.

Further to the above, again, if BB had taken out some of the real estate black area on the screen they could have easily thrown in another row of keys. On top of the keyboard is a strip of black space that could have been used for another row of keys if they removed that, and removed some of the black space above the screen. Instead of placing the logo "Blackberry" at the top to take up so much space, why don't they just place the logo at the bottom under the keyboard?

2. The phone is too big. Sorry to say this but it's the truth. I remember someone hear saying that if the phone was a bit smaller it would be the perfect size, and sackharry has to agree with this. The phone is difficult to handle and carrying it around in my pocket doesn't even feel like a phone, more like a mini computer or something. Also, for a phone of this size, BB should have either included the leather holster in the package, or they should have launched the leather holster when this phone was launched, it is really something that is needed for a phone of this size. It would make things so much more convenient.

3. The button sizing on the software is wayyy too small for such a large phone and in most screens it is very cluttered. For example the copy and paste buttons are sooo tiny!! in text messages, an application which we use everyday, they have the send button, attachment button, and emoticon button cluttered beside ech other, too many times i try to hit send and it hits something else, and the buttons are soo small. Yes, we can use enter on the hard keyboard but these things should not be present in a 2014 phone that is trying to compete with the likes of apple and samsung. There is no room for mistakes like this. BB needs to increase the size of the on screen buttons much larger to create a balance between such a large phone.

Further to the above #3. I want to also state that the attachment button and emoticon button on the text message screen is pointless, because it already appears in the "select more three dots" button. So what is the point of having it there beside the "send message" key, and don't tell me it's for convenience, there is nothing convenient about hitting emoticon or attachment when your trying to send a msg.

4. The special character and number selection window. Horrible placement of numbers. Why is the zero number placed at the top left... ? And why are the numbers placed in the hardest possible area to reach on the phone when using it one-handed? The way they should have made it, is 1 strip of numbers from 0-9 and under that have all the special keys the same way apple, samsung and other phone providers do it. I find it a tedious process to try to reach over with my thumb to enter a phone number or the # sign because it's all on the far left. If anything they should have made it on the right side.
    Last edited by SackHarry; 10-20-14 at 01:12 AM.
    10-19-14 02:31 PM
    Before giving you back a few thoughts on yours, I will say I've spent less than 30 minutes with a Passport. But I can still comment on the rationale for a few things you questioned.
    ... I'm going to now post my problems with the device as well as the things I like.

I've had the passport for a view days now and I think it's an extremely powerful phone but also have some gripes with it. I do think it is a great phone even with these issues and I think it's an extremely powerful work device... The build quality, screen, and software is excellent and overall I am definitely impressed.
    I didn't see any things you like in your main review below. Maybe you just meant the above. Just saying because you mentioned it.

1. The trackpad is almost useless. I have tried to get into the habit of using the trackpad to scroll but it's virtually useless. With only 3 rows of keys to scroll with you barely get any scroll when you use it which makes it a pain more than something that is helping... I really appreciate bb trying to integrate great technology like this but it needs lots of work, and they really made a huge mistake by not including that 4th line of keys -- just for the trackpad to be used efficiently. At first I was against the fourth line of keys as it was pointless to me but now I see that the trackpad really needs it.
    I only tried a few basics with "trackpad" keyboard. If it's not accurate, hopefully that's improved in near-future updates. I'm confident they'll improve this every update, plus come up with more uses.

I've wondered too if they were just trying too hard to be different with the 3-row keyboard. Maybe it really threw off the ergonomics in some way that's hard for us to imagine.

Further to the above, again, if BB had taken out some of the real estate black area on the screen they could have easily thrown in another row of keys. On top of the keyboard is a strip of black space that could have been used for another row of keys if they removed that, and removed some of the black space above the screen. Instead of placing the logo "Blackberry" at the top to take up so much space, why don't they just place the logo at the bottom under the keyboard?
    The point of that space is for the frequently used swipe-up gestures. Now, given the fact that the whole keyboard it touch-sensitive, could they have gotten around this in ways that wouldn't work on a Q10 or Classic? Probably. But having that space for the swipe-up is integral to every BB10 design thus far.

2. The phone is too big...
    A matter of opinion. Many will agree with you; others won't. This is your review, so fair enough!

2.... Also, for a phone of this size, BB should have either included the leather holster in the package, or they should have launched the leather holster when this phone was launched, it is really something that is needed for a phone of this size. It would make things so much more convenient.
    Holsters are used less and less, so it's probably a wasteful use of money to provide one with all Passports. That said, including a voucher for a free holster might have been a cool idea. Those that want one can have it.

3. The button sizing on the screen is wayyy too small for such a large phone and in most screens it is very cluttered. For example in text messages... they have the send button, attachment button, and emoticon button cluttered beside each other, too many times I try to hit send and it hits something else, and the buttons are soo small. Yes, we can use enter on the hard keyboard but these things should not be present in a 2014 phone that is trying to compete with the likes of apple and samsung. There is no room for mistakes like this. BB needs to increase the size of the on screen buttons much larger to create a balance between such a large phone.
    Matter of taste again, and hard to please everyone. There was much criticism with 10.0-10.2 that the bottom bars were too big. They refined this for 10.3. However with all that screen real estate on Passport, they probably could have compensated slightly more with button size relative to screen.

I don't see the relevance of an Apple/Samsung comparison here, except in the most general sense that, "Hey they've got to get everything right!"
    The virtual bottom bar buttons being crowded is hardly cause to abandon ship. If others agree, hopefully they fix it soon. (Super easy fix, I'd imagine.)

... attachment button and emoticon button on the text message screen is pointless, because it already appears in the "select more three dots" button. So what is the point of having it there beside the "send message" key, and don't tell me it's for convenience, there is nothing convenient about hitting emoticon or attachment when your trying to send a msg.
    It's not there for SackHarry's particular convenience, no. These are the most used buttons/options, hence their placement on bottom bar.

The redundancy of their overflow menu placement too is a BB hallmark, and that is for the sake of convenience.

4. The special character and number selection window...
    No comment. Without having used it myself to know different, that sounds like valid enough criticism.

I'm not saying you need to like the things you don't. But at least understand the rationale of some of these design decisions before declaring them missteps.
    Thanks for sharing your well-considered thoughts with everyone.
    10-19-14 04:31 PM
    Lol did you even like anything about the phone? I couldn't even get through reading it all lol....what a joke

Enjoy your passport! I know myself and the majority of this community will!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 04:39 PM
    You need to spend more time with the device. The keyboard requires a special kind of caressing to make it scroll and do those other things for you. Not too hard and not too soft, eventually you find the sweet spot and it works quite well. If you have particularly dry hands it will not respond as much, and if you have particularly clammy hands,.. the keys will feel a bit sticky. But eventually you figure out what works for your skin. As for the inadvertent "magnifying glass" while typing. Also ameliorated with learned behaviour. You learn not to rest on the keys. Kind of like how they tell you not to rest your foot on the clutch when driving a manual car.

The size is not too big, it's quite a good size for the things I need to do with it. I guess it's too big if you want something smaller, but luckily those things exist for you to buy.

Didn't read the rest because, well,.. you need more time with the device.

Posted via CB10
    mister2d, thedose and bungaboy like this.
    10-19-14 04:41 PM
    Ok I read the number thing. That is the one thing that still bugs me.

If they're going to go with the number pad arrangement (instead of the linear arrangement that you mentioned), they should definitely put the 0 at the bottom, like a typical computer/calculator number pad. It's the most used number key!!! I get that there's a shift there but,.. come on make it smaller and place the 0 there!

Posted via CB10
    spike12 likes this.
    10-19-14 04:46 PM
    I love the touch pad keyboard, three rows makes sense to me, I've only needed other chars four times in this sentence. Percentage wise that makes sense to me.

I don't have problems with scrolling but don't forget rotating the device so the keyboard is at 90 degrees to normal allows for a longer swipe to scroll action and one handed use.

I know the appearance is a love it or hate it kind of thing (we'd liken it to marmite in the UK, which I also love)

I'm also loving all the trolling, I don't read them but it serves as indication that the device is on people's mind, and that's a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1, Alec Senior and Niro Sri like this.
    10-19-14 04:53 PM
    99.9% agree with the findings of this review, and these are exactly the reasons why I will say goodbye to my PP too, and wait for the Classic.
    Actually, this review almost saves me from writing my own final conclusions for my PP review thread, maybe I just point to this thread?

I'm typing this on my old Q5 (while lying on the couch, which wouldn't have worked with the PP by the way), and while the screen size is a disaster, compared to the PP, the typing is such a relief!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 05:04 PM
    I have just spent 7 hours on a flight from Toronto to San Diego,two of them at the airport watching Liverpool vs QPR live in the lounge and on the plane before takeoff on my Passport and then listening to music for 5 hours while editing and revising a 10 page long paper for a scientific journal.
    The passport swings. All the iphones around me were amazed.(mostly turned off due to lack of signal) .
    By the end if the flight I still had more than 50 % of the battery after 7 hours of continuous multitasking with the screen bright all the time.
    I don't need a laptop anymore, let alone a tablet.
    This is a loptop that can also make calls.
    The keyboard is fantastic and you quickly learn how to ue all the numbers and extra characters and how to cut and paste text.

Just give it a week or so and you will not need any other laptop, tablet or. Phone.
    Talking about size: It fits into any shirt or coat pocket. I don't use any protection.
    If you only need a toy phone, then yes, the passport I not for you. You can use Z30. But this is a mobile computer...something totally different.

Posted via CB10
    Skyforever, ionsh, acovey and 1 others like this.
    10-19-14 05:26 PM
    Hard to take anyone seriously when they refer to themselves in the 3rd person.

Posted via CB10
    geodorn, RodolfoAP, tp2386 and 3 others like this.
    10-19-14 05:28 PM
    Oops..still a few typos..

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 05:29 PM
    99.9% agree with the findings of this review, and these are exactly the reasons why I will say goodbye to my PP too, and wait for the Classic.
    Actually, this review almost saves me from writing my own final conclusions for my PP review thread, maybe I just point to this thread?

I'm typing this on my old Q5 (while lying on the couch, which wouldn't have worked with the PP by the way), and while the screen size is a disaster, compared to the PP, the typing is such a relief!

Posted via CB10
    How long did you honestly give the Passport? I get that the Q5 is small and light, but that comes at a huge expense. It really took me almost three weeks to really love this keyboard. I don't know how many people will give it that long, but I can honestly say that it's worth the fight... lol

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 05:30 PM
    What OS? My trackpad is flawless and it's one of my favorite features.

Black bar under screen is needed for gestures to separate a scroll from a minimize swipe.
    10-19-14 05:33 PM
    I'd never heard of SackHarry till now lol

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 05:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    A self celebrated reviewer!

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.1154
    10-19-14 08:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Is he some sort of BlackBerry celebrity?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 08:34 PM
    So what exactly makes this your official review? Did a panel of editors review it then you signed off on the final version for immediate release to the media? How many unofficial reviews are out there in the underground review world?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    10-19-14 08:58 PM
    Hard to take anyone seriously when they refer to themselves in the 3rd person.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't have said it better myself
    10-19-14 09:09 PM
    Mayor McCheese must say he disagrees with your review (lol'ing at 3rd person)

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    10-19-14 09:53 PM
    Sounds like SackHarry is getting upset! But really, you know, I think SackHarry is still pretty sweet on the Passport.

Passport: Aaaaaahhh! He is?

SackHarry: Oh, yeah! SackHarry's been watching the Passport. The Passport is just SackHarry's type.

Passport: Ahh! Really?

SackHarry: SackHarry's new in town. SackHarry... doesn't really know anyone.

Passport: Oh! Well, I'd like to get to know him.

SackHarry: SackHarry would like to get to know you."
    CecilTsunami and Elite1 like this.
    10-19-14 09:59 PM
    I agree and disagree to OP

1. Love the trackpad
    2. Love the size. Wide screen is good
    3. Agree. That can be improved
    4. Agree and it will be easily solved by making 2 row virtual kb http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=968221

Posted via Passport
    10-19-14 10:07 PM
    There isn't a single device that is suitable for everyone. This is why BBRY also has multiple devices. However regarding your gripes:

1) I agree to a certain extent, but the problem for me is more with consistency than the actual track pad. It is not a universal tool like the trackball/pad was with BBOS. My gripe is not HOW it works, but more that it doesn't work consistently across apps. I have started to use the trackpad cursor quite a bit, and it is really nice. Takes a little getting used to coming back from BB10 without trackpad, but it is NICE moving an editor cursor without your finger covering the text!!!!

2) you knew this was a large phone before you bought it right? I used my passport (the travel document) to get a feel for the size before I placed my order.

3) buttons are not a big deal to me, but I have noticed what you are seeing. Definitely not be enough for me to even think about returning returning this beauty!

4) I thought the same initially, the zero did seem a little off, but until you brought it up, I had totally forgot about it

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and Niro Sri like this.
    10-19-14 11:19 PM
    Who is sack harry?

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    10-19-14 11:54 PM
    Who is sack harry?

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    I'm one of the founding members of this website; a veteran.. you must be new here if you don't know who SackHarry is

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 01:08 AM
    A lot of forum members have been messaging me and asking me what I think about the new Passport device

Drop some name could you? And, who are you? @_@ if you're famous of some kind can I get your autograph? )

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 01:10 AM
    Wait you are famous? who cares? LOL
    10-20-14 02:07 AM
48 12