Most indications seem to point to the Passport having a non-removable battery. I would prefer the Passport to another model, but being able to switch batteries is a must for me. With my Q10, I never actually charge the device. I have one of Blackberry's charging bundles at work and another at home. The batteries charge without being in the device and I just swap the low battery in the device with a charged battery. Problem solved and no reason to be tethered to an outlet, ever. When traveling, I always have a spare with me. I do not want to lose this functionality.
    hlg8888 and BerryRipe like this.
    07-24-14 12:34 PM
    Most indications seem to point to the Classic having a non-removable battery. I would prefer the Classic to another model, but being able to switch batteries is a must for me. With my Q10, I never actually charge the device. I have one of Blackberry's charging bundles at work and another at home. The batteries charge without being in the device and I just swap the low battery in the device with a charged battery. Problem solved and no reason to be tethered to an outlet, ever. When traveling, I always have a spare with me. I do not want to lose this functionality.
    So what would you like to say about the Passport?
    illlya and Donnierock like this.
    07-24-14 12:36 PM
    Sorry. I meant the Passport. I will edit my post. It is the Passport I want, but indications see to be the Passport will not have the removable battery.
    07-24-14 12:40 PM
    The Passport doesn't have a removable battery but it has a massive 3450mAh battery, if that helps. Also, if you already have a charging bundle, there's nothing from stopping you using it to charge your Passport. Use battery from your Q10 in the charging bundle, plug it into the microUSB slot and tada! Charging on the go, if you need it. Exact same concept as what you're doing already, except you don't have a battery to swap.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    07-24-14 12:42 PM
    You are not wrong, but it still won't work well for me. No battery to swap. Slower charging from a smaller battery bundle. In addition, more hassle and less convenience. If I am running out the door on a low battery, I can't just switch it. If I use the external charging bundle it doesn't fit neatly in a holster. In addition, instead of my backup battery sitting on my desk and charging, it is with me charging my phone. This basically means I have two dead batteries at the end of that long day instead one. Finally, but not of less importance, the internal battery will degrade over time. When I am rotating batteries on my Q10, each battery is used only 1/3rd of the time. You do not see them degrade, but, even if you did, no problem, just swap out the battery again. The Passport just isn't going to fly for me, despite everything else. This is a deal breaker for me.
    07-24-14 01:26 PM
    What if the passport battery lasted the whole day for you?

Removable Battery-mind-blown.jpg

(mind-blown)

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 01:29 PM
    Literally the largest battery in a mobile device and it's not enough? How long do you need to go without a charge on a regular basis? I charge my Z10 all night, every night at my night stand.
    ibpluto and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    07-24-14 01:33 PM
    It might work, but might not work. First, the battery would still degrade over time and might not last me a full day in two years. Second, a full day can be awfully long. I often work in my New York office or while in Court all day, then, at about 8:00 P.M., get on a flight to Europe, arriving at 8:00 a.m. I can turn off the phone on the plane, but if the plane has Wi-Fi, I am still working on e-mails much of the time. I arrive in the morning and work a whole day in Europe before sleeping. Now, two (maybe three) Q10 batteries get me through all that time, depending on use. When I finally crash, The bundle allows me to charge an external battery and the phone at the same time. So I am back up to 2 of 3 batteries charged. I wish I had the same possibility for the Passport.
    07-24-14 01:34 PM
    Here's the specs of the Z30 non-removable battery:
    Battery

2880mAH non-removable battery

Battery Life

Up to 25 hours mixed use
    Up to 18 hours talk time (UMTS)
    Up to 16 days standby time
    The Passport battery is 570 mAh larger. I think that should be plenty, no?
    07-24-14 02:32 PM
    I used to argue in favor of removable batteries, especially in the bbos days... it was a requirement.

Having had a Z10, and still a Q10 - I understand the desire.

Having purchased a Z30... I honestly could care less about the battery being removable since it lasts the day. It gets me through the day without any midday charging. I don't have to carry a battery bundle around, nor worry about keeping not only one but TWO batteries charged ! It is stress free in fact.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12, ibpluto and howards like this.
    07-24-14 02:43 PM
    device lasts a day i'm on the win don't care anymore if removable or not. With passport having a 3450 battery i'm good to go specially with paratek.
    07-24-14 02:54 PM
    A lot of you seem to have been converted from removable to non-removable without a problem, so maybe I am making too big a deal about this. However, I still know many people with iPhones and other devices (phones and tablets, like iPads and Microsoft Surface tablets) experiencing the degrading power of batteries over time. That is a frustration I am really concerned with even if one charge could get me through the day.
    hlg8888, vpblaze and BerryRipe like this.
    07-24-14 03:13 PM
    You mean the degradation of the OS so you buy the newer one?

Posted via CB10
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    07-24-14 03:43 PM
    laptops/tablets degrade faster because people leave them plugged in 100% of the time even when it doesn't need to be. This corrodes the battery which happens on phones as well but much more slowly if you only charge 1 time a day.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    07-24-14 03:44 PM
    No. I mean degradation of battery life with each charge and drain of the battery.
    07-24-14 03:45 PM
    Laptops and tablets have technology in them to prevent the constant charging from degrading the battery. Nonetheless, it happens over time, even on phones. If you charge to 100%, wakeup and drain to 5%, go to bed and charge to 100%, etc., it is beyond dispute that in 18 months or two years that battery will rain significantly faster that it did when new. Some estimates would say you will only get half as much use. I think that is overstating it, but there is no question the batteries degrade. That is one of my concerns with a non-removable battery.
    Steelsheen likes this.
    07-24-14 03:48 PM
    You might as well just get with the times my friend. It's only going to get worse as time goes on. Nowadays, people are upgrading their phone by the time the battery starts to degrade.
    danfrancisco likes this.
    07-24-14 04:24 PM
    I disagree. I got the Q10 the day Verizon made it available. I am not upgrading again until (at least) the Passport or Classic is available. The Q10 was first available in June 2013. When will the Passport be out, perhaps November? That is nearly 18 months. If I was only using 1 battery, I would already be experiencing degradation. I would be charging at least once per day, and on many days at least twice. I would certainly see a reduction by now.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    07-24-14 04:29 PM
    Maybe you should wait to make a fair assessment...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not agreeing either.

The entire reason there is inane press over the Passport already, is because of posts and discussions over a device that isn't even on the market yet.

It's unfair to judge something you don't have.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 05:05 PM
    I could somewhat. I will wait to see some feedback on the battery from daily users, but no one could wait long enough to see if degradation is going to be a problem. We will see.
    07-24-14 05:12 PM
    I could somewhat. I will wait to see some feedback on the battery from daily users, but no one could wait long enough to see if degradation is going to be a problem. We will see.
    Degrading is a problem with current battery tech. Not the device solely. Everyone can already expect degrading, that's a "no Brainer."

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 05:24 PM
    Exactly. So the only way to work around degradation, is to be able to replace the battery with another one (at a reasonable cost). You can do that with devices with removable batteries, but not with the upcoming Passport.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    07-24-14 05:36 PM
    Exactly. So the only way to work around degradation, is to be able to replace the battery with another one (at a reasonable cost). You can do that with devices with removable batteries, but not with the upcoming Passport.
    Personally, I think you're exaggerating a problem that technically doesn't exist, since the device isn't out there. You're connotations imply you're expecting to replace a degraded battery within a constant basis, or within months of obtaining one - where basic battery science would tell you that isn't the case with today's mobile phones unless something is wrong with the battery.

Your personal experience with a Q10 isn't fair to reflect onto a device you don't have experience with - that's all that I'm trying to say.

Having a non-removable battery will drive down the cost, which is absolutely essential for BlackBerry's success - would you rather a more expensive device?

A 3450mAh battery is industry leading in some sense. Given that the iPhone is at 1440mAh - so don't expect to not get an amazing amount of time out of the device.

I'm going to leave it at that.

Hopefully you get the chance to use a Passport some day, and will be able to understand.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DYLANHABKIRK; 07-24-14 at 06:08 PM.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-24-14 05:54 PM
    Since most contracts are 24 months and Canada had (has?) 3 year contracts, I doubt 18 months will result in any major degradation. I really think it's not as extreme as you believe.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-24-14 06:32 PM
    You are not wrong, but please realize that degradation depends on use and I am one of the heaviest users I have ever seen. My Blackberry Q10 literally has the screen on more time during the day than is it off. Even with a Q10, the dark profile, etc., I am using two full batteries a day on average. That will be a lot of degradation.

In addition, please do not forget my other concerns, such as the amount of time it takes to charge (which could be longer because of the large battery), the lack of convenience of being able to change a battery anywhere and at any time, etc. I have more than one concern here. I have always used Blackberry, in part, for the convenience of changing batteries. There are many many other reasons I use Blackberry, but if this feature goes away, it will be one reason less. That does not mean I will switch platforms, because I still care about security and other things, but I will be closer to switching than I am now. Not much closer though because every other manufacturer is moving in the same direction will non-removable batteries. And no, the fact that other platforms have gone to non-removable batteries does not mean it is okay or works well. Other platforms have also done away with keyboards, and many Blackberry users still want their keyboards. Similarly, I still want removable batteries.
    hlg8888, Q10Bold, Mo Cat and 1 others like this.
    07-24-14 07:42 PM
174 123 ...