My company has gone from all BlackBerry to Apple / Android as well.

I myself will be getting a Samsung next month.
    Mine when BlackBerry -> Apple then Apple to Google!
    01-07-16 01:00 PM
    And if the Priv doesn't outsell BB10 devices it proves it was not the fault of the OS.. its Blackberry
    If the PRIV fails, it's because BlackBerry isn't in a position to be a competitive player in the smartphone market. That was true when they tried to create their own OS and ignored 3rd Party developers. Still true now with a $700 PRIV made out of plastic by a 3rd party.... and almost no marketing or consumer awareness.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-07-16 02:56 PM
    The ecosystem excuse BS. The average android user has no clue what apps are available on what platform. Of the billions of consumers you think the majority are as informed as the average CBforum member?
    I'm much more experienced with iOS. But comparing iOS to BB 10 is like comparing a desktop computer to a flip phone. And the belief that CrackBerry participants have this magic knowledge that no one else shares is absurd. BB 10 came out years too late. It was cooked by the time it came out. There wasn't room for three or four ecosystems then and there isn't now. The battle right now is to get transparent systems from desktop to phone. Apple and android are fighting with Microsoft on that. Microsoft still has a chance because they're so strong the desktop but there's no room at all for BB10. Fortunately Chen understands this.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-07-16 02:58 PM
    Sorry dupe
    01-07-16 03:03 PM
    I'm much more experienced with iOS. But comparing iOS to BB 10 is like comparing a desktop computer to a flip phone. And the belief that CrackBerry participants have this magic knowledge that no one else shares is absurd. BB 10 came out years too late. It was cooked by the time it came out. There wasn't room for three or four ecosystems then and there isn't now. The battle right now is to get transparent systems from desktop to phone. Apple and android are fighting with Microsoft on that. Microsoft still has a chance because they're so strong the desktop but there's no room at all for BB10. Fortunately Chen understands this.
    I was using CB as an example.. the fact that we are having this conversation at all shows that we have an interest likely beyond the average consumer in the technology that we use. Ask the random person walking down the street if they participate or even view forums related to their cell phone operating system. Even typing it sounds absurd.....
    BB10 was a perfect opportunity to actually force the development of a single ecosystem. Android could have potentially become nothing more than a run time on every device if they had successfully tempted developers away from Google services and to Amazon instead. You could have full OSs rather than crappy bloat ware interfaces on OEM devices that use android runtime for an open universal app world. I cant imagine why that wouldn't be more ideal. Blackberry and whoever wants can provide secured tested apps while you can still pick from the universal apps. Everyone wins but Google in this scenario.
    01-07-16 03:15 PM
    Sadly.... I'm starting to REALLY doubt that Microsoft still has a chance. Which does help to disprove that BlackBerry should have "paid" for the the top 50 apps. It hasn't worked for MS so far, and in my world where I once knew a few Windows phone users... today I can't think of one. And Verizon has pretty much snubbed the 950.
    01-07-16 03:20 PM
    Talking of enterprises... client switched all their staff from BBOS7 devices to iPhone 6s/6s+, except few from the top who opted on their own to go with the Classic and one sticking with his 9900

End result? They run two BES servers now 5 Express and 12.2 with gold CALs

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    01-07-16 04:34 PM
    Chen actually said that he hopes that Priv's selling will help to restore device's division and maybe to have another BB10 phone.
    If you can't see that for the obvious spin it is (to help sell the remaining stocks of BB10 phones already produced), then I can't help you.

There hasn't been a new BB10 device for almost a year already (Leap was the last release), and there won't be one in 2016 - even the planned Vienna isn't fully a "go" yet per Chen. The BB10 developers have been let go or reassigned, other than a skeleton crew to handle the security patches. Real development of BB10 will have been idle for 2 years - which means it would take a big round of hiring, training, and a big development effort to update everything (a process that would take a year) in order to release another new device - which means if they aren't hiring for those jobs today, it isn't going to happen by the beginning of 2017 either.

Much like the "we plan to bring BB10 to the Playbook, and, oh, BTW they're for sale on clearance right now" spin, Chen simply said that to encourage people to buy up the remaining stock of BB10 phones. From a practical viewpoint, there's simply no way BB10 is going to be revived after a 2+ year development hiatus, when even more developers will have withdrawn their apps and support for the platform.

This is as close as it gets to an outright admission that BB10 is "dead" as you're going to get while there is still inventory to sell, but you don't need the Rosetta Stone to decode what's really going on. It's easy to say "I hope" without ever actually intending to do something, and he isn't even making a promise that people can accuse him of breaking, but be real. No new devices for 2+ years = dead.
    01-07-16 05:25 PM
    I was using CB as an example.. the fact that we are having this conversation at all shows that we have an interest likely beyond the average consumer in the technology that we use. Ask the random person walking down the street if they participate or even view forums related to their cell phone operating system. Even typing it sounds absurd.....
    BB10 was a perfect opportunity to actually force the development of a single ecosystem. Android could have potentially become nothing more than a run time on every device if they had successfully tempted developers away from Google services and to Amazon instead. You could have full OSs rather than crappy bloat ware interfaces on OEM devices that use android runtime for an open universal app world. I cant imagine why that wouldn't be more ideal. Blackberry and whoever wants can provide secured tested apps while you can still pick from the universal apps. Everyone wins but Google in this scenario.
    Maybe in 2008 or 2009. I am beginning to think that BB just can't compete in phones. Between how overdue and premature BB10 was and the Priv coming out without a clear upgrade path I wonder if they can compete.
    01-08-16 06:46 AM

This is as close as it gets to an outright admission that BB10 is "dead" as you're going to get while there is still inventory to sell, but you don't need the Rosetta Stone to decode what's really going on. It's easy to say "I hope" without ever actually intending to do something, and he isn't even making a promise that people can accuse him of breaking, but be real. No new devices for 2+ years = dead.
    Maybe Chen wants it to be dead but with NIAP compliance going on he can't kill it.

Hope you realize finally: it won't be mainstream but alive at least.
    01-08-16 05:26 PM
    Maybe Chen wants it to be dead but with NIAP compliance going on he can't kill it.
    Apple will get NIAP compliance for the iPhone long before there will be another run of BB10 phones. Hell, Samsung might get it for Knox as well.

The number of phones with NIAP compliance is probably under 3M total worldwide. Most of those are probably running either BBOS, iPhone, BlackPhone, or some ultra-niche product today, and most of the BBOS users are being moved to iPhone as we speak. Don't think that BB is the only company that can serve them, or that this small group of customers will somehow save BB10.
    01-08-16 08:43 PM
    BlackBerry is not dead. They acquired many companies that are on profit. BlackBerry 10 is not dead. Only because there will not be new features in the OS for 1 year, it is still the best OS on the market. We always want new features, but if you think about it the other OS's there are still missing allot of BlackBerry 10 features.

I saw that many people posted that there will be only maintenance updates and they posted the link where they read that but when I accessed the link I saw an official statement from BlackBerry that they will keep developing BlackBerry 10 and they will keep supporting developers for BlackBerry 10.

BES12 can now be use for Android and IOS also, so BES is not dead.

I don't see any succes with the Android BlackBerry devices because they can't secure fast enough the OS every time a new version of Android is released.

Everybody wanted a statement from John Chen about BlackBerry 10 and when he officially said that they are not letting BlackBerry 10 die, the reactions were that he is lying in order to sell all the handsets they still have on stock.

BlackBerry 10 is still the best OS.
    You prefer BlackBerry 10, buy BlackBerry 10 devices. You don't trust the BlackBerry 10 future, go to other platform. BlackBerry 10 is not enough for you, go to other platform.
    I agree BlackBerry is doing s***** business with great devices, but posting links with BlackBerry declaring fully commitment with BlackBerry 10 and comment "that means BlackBerry 10 is dead". All of those opinions are misleading the other users.

For the OP: Why in hell wouldn't the company let you use your own BlackBerry device?
    Isn't it secure enough? Is the most secured device!

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 10:25 AM
    the good news is when blackberry dies, so does this site
    01-09-16 11:06 AM
    the good news is when blackberry dies, so does this site
    There is not good news if BlackBerry dies. Not even if Apple dies, or Google, or Microsoft. It has to be competition between companies so we can get new technology.

But why do you want this site to die? It bothers you? Why do you acces it?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 11:21 AM
    There is not good news if BlackBerry dies. Not even if Apple dies, or Google, or Microsoft. It has to be competition between companies so we can get new technology.

But why do you want this site to die? It bothers you? Why do you acces it?

Posted via CB10
    If Blackberry actually goes all android they will have no value in the tech industry. They don't produce hardware or software beyond a few crappy apps. Sold as parts their necessary key services would live on under new management and patents will have an opportunity to be left in more capable hands. They purchased companies that are relevant and squandered away the one resource produced by Blackberry the tech world needs.
    01-09-16 11:33 AM
    If Blackberry actually goes all android they will have no value in the tech industry. They don't produce hardware or software beyond a few crappy apps. Sold as parts their necessary key services would live on under new management and patents will have an opportunity to be left in more capable hands. They purchased companies that are relevant and squandered away the one resource produced by Blackberry the tech world needs.
    I agree BlackBerry will not survive in the handset business if they go all in on Android.
    I don't see how connection between what you quoted and what you wrote.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 11:57 AM
    I agree BlackBerry will not survive in the handset business if they go all in on Android.
    I don't see how connection between what you quoted and what you wrote.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. My point was that an all Android Blackberry is actually worse than if Blackberry died. They would offer nothing to consumers that is not already available. If they died the patents at least get a chance to be used properly.
    01-09-16 12:46 PM
67 123