I don't know how many of you watched the MWC keynote on the new BlackBerry KeyOne Android phone by BlackBerry Mobile, but if you did, I'm curious to know your reactions as one who owns and uses a BlackBerry Passport. Does it tempt you? I'm not gonna lie, it would be pretty nice to have all apps available to us and not have to worry about when our device might become obsolete. However for me (and of course we reserve the right to change our minds after using it), it made me thankful I have the Passport and really didn't tempt me at all.

Why? My main reasons (opinions) are #1 ) which is probably the most controversial is that Android just doesn't match up to BB10, it's really night and day. I have used several Android devices and even the Priv for a month. I would appreciate apps and a better camera, but BB10 is that good and Android is that inferior of an OS. I really do not like Android. If BBOS didn't exist, that would be different, but I so enjoy the fluid OS of BB10.

Also #2 ) that keyboard looks like it's going to let us down. From the surface it looks similar to the Classic, but the closer I look at it, I think it looks cramped and are those keys even beveled? It didn't look like it. Of course we'll have to try it to know, but the Passport's keyboard is unrivaled and I would not appreciate an inferior, cramped keyboard experience.

And #3 ) although the phone looks very well put together and even resembles BlackBerry phones of old, that form factor is a turnoff. Yes, most ot if is because I'd be coming from the Passport, but let's be honest, we've been spoiled by a wide and glorious screen, and the form factor of the Passport stands out from the pack. Whereas the KeyOne looks like all other smart phones on the market (except for the keyboard).

I'd love to know your initial thoughts. And hey if you disagree, great! I truly hope the KeyOne kills it and that BlackBerry Mobile is around for a long time. #LongLiveBlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 10:06 PM
    The fact is, this may the easiest soft landing available for those considering eventually leaving a BB10 pkb device.
    02-25-17 10:13 PM
    It was disappointing. Really thin phone with last gen specs. How can you go to that from the passport.?. Stick a fork in blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    DesRee likes this.
    02-25-17 10:14 PM
    It was disappointing. Really thin phone with last gen specs. How can you go to that from the passport.?. Stick a fork in blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    The 625 is current gen - a year newer than the 820. And nothing has an 835 yet.

It's also fairly thick with a massive battery.

This is also a TCL device - not a BlackBerry device, as they are no longer in the hardware business.
    BB_PP and gruv4u like this.
    02-25-17 10:17 PM
    Unfortunately, Blackberry chose to include an android based software moving forward. As much as I hate android (just like you) and apple, I am inclined to walk into a store in April (or May) and try one on for size. I originally thought that I could never be happy with a smaller screen than my Passport and I still do sooner or later I will have too as I (we) are being forced to switch operating systems since Blackberry did NOT put any effort in marketing BB10 properly since it came to market. I started with built in screwed down car phones (I believe it was a uniden) for a buck a minute and $1500 for the phone installed and my first blackberry product was a 957. I remember loving my 7510 so much until I got a 7520 with a color screen. I remember the anticipation and feeling of finally receiving my NEW blackberry each time a new one hit the market on day one but I dont have that feeling anymore even after watching the KeyOne presentation! It was great seeing Kevin as Host even thought the video cut out right after he mentioned TCL but I think I have lost that loving feeling....now its gone gone gone wo oo wo oo wo
    02-25-17 10:22 PM
    The 625 is current gen. Newer than the 820.

It's also fairly thick with a massive battery.

This is also a TCL device - not a BlackBerry device, as they are no longer in the hardware business.
    Lol- fake news. That was the most boring phone ever released. Thin short screen meaning terrible reading quality and bad game viewing and play... for the price I'm wondering what the justification of the high price is.

Non removable battery??? BlackBerry has forgotten what made it great.

And I repeat, last gen specs. It's a blackberry device, stop trying to divorce it. This device is the future of blackberry and TCL was aided by blackberry in design. Fail! Android cannot save blackberry and too bad blackberry cannot stay the course. Blackberry needs to return to scale and get back to the drawing board. Chen is destroying this company. BB10 can be niche and fallback device. There's room and market for it if blackberry is willing to tinker with their pricing structure. Sacrifice profit for market share.

Posted via CB10
    LyoobaBerry and naeempriv like this.
    02-25-17 10:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Thin phone with last gen specs???? Are you sure you're referring to the correct device? This thing has a massive battery and pretty much everyone who's handled it says it has a nice hefty feel to it.
    02-25-17 10:32 PM
    Lol- fake news. That was the most boring phone ever released. Thin short screen meaning terrible reading quality and bad game viewing and play... for the price I'm wondering what the justification of the high price is.

And I repeat, last gen specs. It's a blackberry device, stop trying to divorce it. This device is the future of blackberry and TCL was aided by blackberry in design. Fail! Android cannot save blackberry and too bad blackberry cannot stay the course. Blackberry needs to return to scale and get back to the drawing board. Chen is destroying this company. BB10 can be niche and fallback device. There's room and market for it if blackberry is willing to tinker with their pricing structure. Sacrifice profit for market share.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 10:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Terrible screen for reading and whatnot? Tens of millions of iPhone 4 users would like to have a word with you about that.

They haven't made a device with a removable battery in over 3 years. Not sure where you've been.

BlackBerry 10 is dead. The sooner you realise that, the easier it will be. The lack of popular apps and app support killed it. There's nothing anyone can do about that. Blaming Chen is very short sighted if you don't recognise why iOS and Android rule. It's all about apps!
    simon williams4 likes this.
    02-25-17 10:40 PM
    Terrible screen for reading and whatnot? Tens of millions of iPhone 4 users would like to have a word with you about that.

They haven't made a device with a removable battery in over 3 years. Not sure where you've been.

BlackBerry 10 is dead. The sooner you realise that, the easier it will be. The lack of popular apps and app support killed it. There's nothing anyone can do about that. Blaming Chen is very short sighted if you don't recognise why iOS and Android rule. It's all about apps!
    Are you the one man marketing team of blackberry? Lack of popular apps? You will be surprised at how many people value security over popularity, and yes, blackberry cannot offer android as a software and still claim security especially while offering non removable batteries. Without the selling force of security, what is blackberry? I blame John Chen. He has sold out to the NSA and governments for profit over principles and the consumers see it.

And that tiny screen with a polished cheap metal for a phone and crammed keyboard does what exactly?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 10:48 PM
    I'm excited for it. Honestly the biggest pluses for me and my current passport have been the battery (my biggest plus as I'm a heavy user and don't want to have to charge throughout the day), the screen size which I think this is more than adequate and they keyboard.

The keyboard looks really nice. I ran with a classic for awhile and if it would have been slightly faster with a bigger screen I would have kept going with it. Well, this is basically that. Plus apps.

Do I need most of those apps? Not really. But if I can get the best of both worlds than I'm all in.

I've said it a few times and I think they hit a homerun for a pkb device with a huge battery and decent enough specs.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 10:52 PM
    Are you the one man marketing team of blackberry? Lack of popular apps? You will be surprised at how many people value security over popularity, and yes, blackberry cannot offer android as a software and still claim security especially while offering non removable batteries. Without the selling force of security, what is blackberry? I blame John Chen. He has sold out to the NSA and governments for profit over principles and the consumers see it.

And that tiny screen with a polished cheap metal for a phone and crammed keyboard does what exactly?

Posted via CB10
    Lol, marketing for BlackBerry. If you read my other posts, you'd see how silly you look now.

Really, people value security over popularity?? So the number of users using Whatsapp, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook must be wrong. All those iPhone and Android users must be in the minority and BlackBerry 10 is just killing it. Right??

I hear there's a sale on tinfoil hats. You better rush and get yours before they're gone.
    02-25-17 10:56 PM
    Lol, marketing for BlackBerry. If you read my other posts, you'd see how silly you look now.

Really, people value security over popularity?? So the number of users using Whatsapp, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook must be wrong. All those iPhone and Android users must be in the minority and BlackBerry 10 is just killing it. Right??

I hear there's a sale on tinfoil hats. You better rush and get yours before they're gone.
    You forget that whatsapp is encrypted and many people loved whatsapp before it was bought by facebook because it refused to go mainstream by not selling ads? And snapchat had lots of users because of its promise of security due to its "disappearing pics" which was easily explained to teens???

People held onto their blackberries when android first came out but the refusal to innovate and offer a viable alternative forced their hands. Now, blackberry needs to keep marketing and innovating bb10 while sounding the security drum. Yes, it won't pay their bills immediately but, they will eventually be heard. I'm saying this as a longtime android fan who heard the faint drum of bb10 security and left android in late 2016.

I don't understand why people are trying to sell android lol to people who own androids powerful devices and just recently tried bb10 and love it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ryder55; 02-25-17 at 11:13 PM.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    02-25-17 11:02 PM
    You forget that whatsapp is encrypted and many people loved whatsapp before it was bought by facebook because it refused to go mainstream by not selling ads? And snapchat had lots of users because of its promise of security due to its "disappearing pics" which was easily explained to teens???

People held onto their blackberries when android first came out but the refusal to innovate and offer a viable alternative forced their hands. Now, blackberry needs to keep marketing and innovating bb10 while sounding the security drum. Yes, it won't pay their bills immediately but, they will eventually be heard. I'm saying this as a longtime android fan who heard the faint drum of bb10 security and left android in late 2016.

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp only recently started encryption. Snapchat has poor security. With the amount of spyware, viruses, trojans and malware infecting iOS and Android that hasn't stopped people. The worldwide marketshare for Android is over 80%!

iOS pays so much that developers that they will not develop anything for BlackBerry 10. Have you noticed how BlackBerry pivoted into software but hasn't done anything for the BlackBerry 10 platform? BlackBerry 10 has sailed. Time to move on.
    02-25-17 11:13 PM
    Android is powerful because it traded instant profit for market share by accessing cheap markets. A thing blackberry needs to learn. Remember how priced the first nexus devices were? You could get a nexus 4 for 200-300 dollars. Google accessed niche markets in China and third world countries by selling their software for free. That's the power of a long term strategy and vision. Blackberry needs to stay within its own niche. Without it, it's lost.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ryder55; 02-26-17 at 03:09 AM.
    02-25-17 11:17 PM
    Holy thread de-rail. Lol.
    02-25-17 11:24 PM
    It's been 4+ years now. They nearly broke the bank trying to stay with it for as long as they did. The market has spoken so BlackBerry 10 is pretty much dead in terms of any future development. Just look at them EOL of Blend and no support for Link. I can't even backup my device any more!
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-25-17 11:26 PM
    It's been 4+ years now. They nearly broke the bank trying to stay with it for as long as they did. The market has spoken so BlackBerry 10 is pretty much dead in terms of any future development. Just look at them EOL of Blend and no support for Link. I can't even backup my device any more!
    The passport was the device to do it for them. Premium. No one could justify leaving ios or android for it at that price point though it was tempting, except hardcore blackberry lovers. I couldn't justify leaving android for it. The moment the price dropped, it was picked up by me. If blackberry wanted to sell bb10, it's needs to partner with cheap Chinese manufacturers and retain the passport form factor at a much reduced price. Upgrade it's software and leave it's agreement with Google.

Posted via CB10
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    02-25-17 11:32 PM
    the KEYone will blow away the passport. It has the 4 row keyboard that the passport has been missing all its life!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 12:29 AM
    I like Ky coz it's a blackberry and I trust the brand!!! It will be an addition to my passport and priv collection.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 12:49 AM
    I like Ky coz it's a blackberry and I trust the brand!!! It will be an addition to my passport and priv collection.

Posted via CB10
    You trust the brand?!? LOL like how they said they were adding new features to the Facebook and twitter app. Goodluck
    02-26-17 02:02 AM
    I'll stick to my original passport

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 02:18 AM
    There is nothing wrong with Android stop putting it down
    if BB10 is so great why isn't it taking centre stage
    02-26-17 03:44 AM
    I think a phone like this is for those who are migrating from BB10 but can't let go of the keyboard. Having something on the market like this softens the blow of having to leave something.

If and when BB10 becomes completely obsolete and there is no point in dual wielding two phones like I am now, I may very well pick this up and use this phone as a daily driver.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    02-26-17 05:31 AM
    I don't know how many of you watched the MWC keynote on the new BlackBerry KeyOne Android phone by BlackBerry Mobile, but if you did, I'm curious to know your reactions as one who owns and uses a BlackBerry Passport. Does it tempt you? I'm not gonna lie, it would be pretty nice to have all apps available to us and not have to worry about when our device might become obsolete. However for me (and of course we reserve the right to change our minds after using it), it made me thankful I have the Passport and really didn't tempt me at all.

Why? My main reasons (opinions) are #1 ) which is probably the most controversial is that Android just doesn't match up to BB10, it's really night and day. I have used several Android devices and even the Priv for a month. I would appreciate apps and a better camera, but BB10 is that good and Android is that inferior of an OS. I really do not like Android. If BBOS didn't exist, that would be different, but I so enjoy the fluid OS of BB10.

Also #2 ) that keyboard looks like it's going to let us down. From the surface it looks similar to the Classic, but the closer I look at it, I think it looks cramped and are those keys even beveled? It didn't look like it. Of course we'll have to try it to know, but the Passport's keyboard is unrivaled and I would not appreciate an inferior, cramped keyboard experience.

And #3 ) although the phone looks very well put together and even resembles BlackBerry phones of old, that form factor is a turnoff. Yes, most ot if is because I'd be coming from the Passport, but let's be honest, we've been spoiled by a wide and glorious screen, and the form factor of the Passport stands out from the pack. Whereas the KeyOne looks like all other smart phones on the market (except for the keyboard).

I'd love to know your initial thoughts. And hey if you disagree, great! I truly hope the KeyOne kills it and that BlackBerry Mobile is around for a long time. #LongLiveBlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    That's a good one agreed

BlackBerry Android failed to increase the sales which we saw with Priv and even Dtek50 /60 also failed and so will the KeyOne. Only in crackberry few will buy this phone as a remembrance of last phone by BlackBerry. Outside Crackberry no one will ever come to know about it. When it came and when it became history.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 05:56 AM
569 123 ...