My hopes for this awesome phone are fading. Technology leaps by the month and yet blackberry sits on the passport scared to release it in the USA

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 11:08 PM
    Don't you live in the US and own one? Basing this assumption on your username..

Posted via CB10
    illlya likes this.
    12-27-14 11:10 PM
    That's ATT not BlackBerry I would imagine. I just got one unlocked.

Time to stop relying on carriers. It's like only buying the laptop that Comcast carries.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 11:29 PM
    BlackBerry has released it in the USA, via Shop BlackBerry and Amazon.

I have two.

BlackBerry can't force carriers to carry their devices, BlackBerry has made the Passport available since the day after it launched.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, Frehley, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    12-27-14 11:48 PM
    As others have said, the carriers are slacking. But just buy direct from BlackBerry or Amazon. My missus bought mine for my unlocked from BlackBerry\Amazon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-28-14 12:51 AM
    My hopes for this awesome phone are fading. Technology leaps by the month and yet blackberry sits on the passport scared to release it in the USA

Posted via CB10
    that is down to you lot in the usa WHO stopped getting blackberrys....................so in light of that I don't blame blackberry do you
    12-28-14 01:04 AM
    It is BlackBerry's fault for stubbornly refusing to invest in ANY advertising.

Every other successful hand set maker has figured this out... put some of their own skin in the game... and invest in their own advertising. It is not the carriers job to create market for hardware. That role lies squarely with the hardware manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1, dale-c and Mel Calixtro like this.
    12-28-14 01:27 AM
    Blackberry is not scared to release the passport. ATT has sat on it so as to not hurt their iPhone sales. After all they shave to sell so many iphones or face huge penalties. Verizon will not commit to any so BlackBerry does not make a version for their system. In all the issue is with the carriers and not with the manufacture. I bought my passport direst through shop BlackBerry and couldn't be happier.

Posted via CB10
    will308 likes this.
    12-28-14 01:29 AM

Every other successful hand set maker has figured this out... put some of their own skin in the game... and invest in their own advertising. It is not the carriers job to create market for hardware. That role lies squarely with the hardware manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    so why has the blackberry passport selling like hell in all the places it got released ..................the states stopped buying blackberrys so the carriers stopped getting them ......................plain and simple
    12-28-14 01:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    They did try during the BlackBerry 10 launch didn't they? I agree it wasn't the best advert but they tried and didn't work. What makes you think it will work this time?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 02:44 AM
    In the usa, and I live here. The Passport has been released from BlackBerry to amazon, shop BlackBerry, and At&t. AT&T has an exclusive on the passport. No other carry can/or will release it. It is in att to release not BlackBerry.

Can't blame BlackBerry that AT&T is sitting on it.

Posted via my Darkbeast Z30
    will308 likes this.
    12-28-14 03:16 AM
    I preach the BlackBerry brand where ever I go here in the USA, but the sales force in 99% of the carriers here are young folks who have forgotten about BlackBerry long ago and only will sell what their friends are using, which are IOS and/or Android devices.

Until BlackBerry can change the perception of the young generation who is the largest buyers of new devices here, its not going to improve any time soon.
    Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-28-14 05:02 AM
    I preach the BlackBerry brand where ever I go here in the USA, but the sales force in 99% of the carriers here are young folks who have forgotten about BlackBerry long ago and only will sell what their friends are using, which are IOS and/or Android devices.

Until BlackBerry can change the perception of the young generation who is the largest buyers of new devices here, its not going to improve any time soon.
    You are correct. And BBRY need to invest some resources to try and change that perception.

Right now the only folks buying Passports are die hard fans like myself, who learned about it on CB. The average consumer still knows nothing about the devices BlackBerry has offered since before the Z10.

There are many ex BlackBerry users out there who would try it again, but unless they are true die hard fans, BlackBerry has chosen to leave them in the dark.

And no, blowing a budget on one super bowl advertisement is NOT the solution.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 06:34 AM

Totally agree. It's the same mentality in Europe. Here, in the countries I've been lately, I haven't seen a Passport in the shops yet nor any BB 10 devices. Major mobile phone operators even don't have them in their portfolio / offer. Please note I don't know the situation everywhere. Only a minority, we BlackBerry fans are awaiting / looking to find the Passport. Phone sellers say they have had hard time selling BB10 phones. They managed to sell some only after a big discount. So they don't even order BlackBerry phones. Maybe the reasons for poor sales are lack of sales training and lack of advertising. Fact is, according to some sellers' figures, 99% of phones sold here are Android phones and iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    eldrover likes this.
    12-28-14 08:15 AM

I also agree.. my coworkers and some clients alike think I'm nuts for using a BlackBerry device by choice in 2014... mind you we all have the 9900's through our employer. I'm gradually convincing them that it's truly one of the best phones out there.( I'm 27)..

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 08:34 AM
    If you own a candy shop and carry blackberry candy, apple candy and blueberry candy and the latter 2 sell all the time and everyone asks for them. Once every couple weeks or months someone buys or asks about the blackberry candy. How much of it do you stock or carry? If there is a new blackberry candy that comes out are you going to stock it hoping it will do any better even though almost no one buys the current candy and it has gone stale so you had to throw what you did stock away?
    12-28-14 08:58 AM
    Does anyone know if or when the UK will get the red passport? The black and white are gorgeous but i really really want it in red..

Posted via CB10
    nobbynobrains likes this.
    12-28-14 10:13 AM
    If you own a candy shop and carry blackberry candy, apple candy and blueberry candy and the latter 2 sell all the time and everyone asks for them. Once every couple weeks or months someone buys or asks about the blackberry candy. How much of it do you stock or carry? If there is a new blackberry candy that comes out are you going to stock it hoping it will do any better even though almost no one buys the current candy and it has gone stale so you had to throw what you did stock away?
    When ya make a new kind of candy ya gotta tell people about it, or of course it will go stale because no one will even know to go into the store looking for it.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 10:33 AM
    There are other really good phones who take the approach of selling direct such as One Plus One. I believe BlackBerry should take an approach of selling some phones like the Passport directly and other phones like the Classic they can sell through the cell phone providers as well as direct. My belief is future phones will have a much broader appeal and will do quite well attracting new users. The Classic and Passport really are targeted towards Enterprise users.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 10:36 AM
    BlackBerry makes candy.?

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    Tompire and nobbynobrains like this.
    12-28-14 10:36 AM
    When ya make a new kind of candy ya gotta tell people about it, or of course it will go stale because no one will even know to go into the store looking for it.

Posted via CB10
    I agree but the candy manufacturer is the one who needs to let people know and the one who has to help the store owner get people to try it again.

I'm not sure what they do to change perception that it's just the same candy in a different shape or wrapper. All I'm saying is that I can't blame the carriers for not offering a product that hasn't and doesn't sell well for them. It costs money to have items take up space.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-28-14 10:44 AM
    BlackBerry makes candy.?

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    Do they run a candy store?
    anon(9208252) likes this.
    12-28-14 10:46 AM
    BlackBerry simply does not have enough money to even consider embarking on such a re-indoctrination campaign. Any advertising will only serve to refresh what most think they already know, and any millions spent will be instantly negated by one sarcastically-toned negative article on CNN, Fox, etc about its mediocre financial performance.

There is literally nothing that conventional advertising targeted at mass consumers can do at this point.

And regarding the non-release of the Passport in the US. BlackBerry has done what they can by making it available on Amazon (not exactly an obscure retailer). It is completely up to AT&T whether they want to officially sell the device (easy) and provide support for it (not so easy).

Just a few years back you couldn't even buy BlackBerry devices from anything other than carrier stores in most places, mostly due to BlackBerry 's insistence on being a "good partner" and letting carriers make more money (by selling devices on contract). They have now, by necessity really, said to hell with these crummy partners and taken to sell it on their own.

To say that they have been somehow scared "to release their device" is completely misinformed. On the contrary, they have been bolder than ever in actually selling their devices (amazon, crazy sales, etc).

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 11:02 AM
    Double post
    12-28-14 11:03 AM
    I agree but the candy manufacturer is the one who needs to let people know and the one who has to help the store owner get people to try it again.

I'm not sure what they do to change perception that it's just the same candy in a different shape or wrapper. All I'm saying is that I can't blame the carriers for not offering a product that hasn't and doesn't sell well for them. It costs money to have items take up space.
    I completely agree.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-28-14 11:09 AM
64 123