1.When you play videos does it give you black boxes one at the top and the other one at the bottom
    2. While Playing games in portrait or in landscape do you have black boxes one at the sides

These questions might sound weird but I didn't use a BlackBerry phone with a physical keyboard and a touchscreen

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 01:32 PM
    These issues are well known with the passport. It's due to the square screen (4:3 aspect ratio). Most videos and games are optimized for a 16:9 aspect ratio, most commonly know as ''wide screen''. This is the usual screen and aspect ratio supported by most mobile devices (cell phones, tablets, etc.)

The passport wasn't built with a games/media consumption first mentality. It was meant for business professionals, so the screen was made to display the most information possible when viewing documents, spreadsheets, emails, etc.

Gotta research them phones prior to purchase, OP.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    andy957 likes this.
    01-16-15 02:08 PM
    See the reviews here. PhoneDog for example.

Say thx if it was useful...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ou-buy-989729/

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 02:39 PM
    1) you can choose

2) no

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    01-16-15 04:32 PM
    You'll get black bars for certain things. In my opinion it's really a non-issue.

1) Yes, most movies/videos if watched in their native aspect ratios will have black bars. You can usually zoom or stretch if you really want.
    2) It depends on the game. Native BB games, no. Android games (apps) let you choose the app appearance. Full sized, zoomed, rectangular. It increases the number of apps that are compatible. Certain apps you will have to use on one of those settings or it won't really work.

If movies and games are something you do a lot and put a lot of merit into I'd honestly suggest a different phone. For the few times I watch/play it really doesn't bother me.
    01-16-15 07:26 PM
    You'll get black bars for certain things. In my opinion it's really a non-issue.

1) Yes, most movies/videos if watched in their native aspect ratios will have black bars. You can usually zoom or stretch if you really want.
    2) It depends on the game. Native BB games, no. Android games (apps) let you choose the app appearance. Full sized, zoomed, rectangular. It increases the number of apps that are compatible. Certain apps you will have to use on one of those settings or it won't really work.

If movies and games are something you do a lot and put a lot of merit into I'd honestly suggest a different phone. For the few times I watch/play it really doesn't bother me.
    So what phone do you recommend me

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 01:09 PM
    So what phone do you recommend me

Posted via CB10
    Well, that really depends. If you really want a Blackberry, the Z30 is a great phone and is good for media consumption.

If you want something else then there are a tonne of good choices.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 03:44 PM
    These issues are well known with the passport. It's due to the square screen (4:3 aspect ratio). Most videos and games are optimized for a 16:9 aspect ratio, most commonly know as ''wide screen''. This is the usual screen and aspect ratio supported by most mobile devices (cell phones, tablets, etc.)

The passport wasn't built with a games/media consumption first mentality. It was meant for business professionals, so the screen was made to display the most information possible when viewing documents, spreadsheets, emails, etc.

Gotta research them phones prior to purchase, OP.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    Actually it's a 1:1 aspect ratio, not 4:3.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 03:56 PM
    Actually it's a 1:1 aspect ratio, not 4:3.

Posted via CB10
    Correctamundo

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    01-17-15 05:38 PM
    Well, that really depends. If you really want a Blackberry, the Z30 is a great phone and is good for media consumption.

If you want something else then there are a tonne of good choices.

Posted via CB10
    I have a z30 and a z10 but I want a new phone

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 04:31 AM
    I have a z30 and a z10 but I want a new phone

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Passport is unavailable for comments right now but wanted you to know that it comes highly recommended, apart from the first few days where you obsess about it you don't notice the black bars whenever they are present, mainly because the screen is so huge and quality so high it's a non issue, get the Passport, or wait a few months for the Visa, (or one/two months for Rio) otherwise there is no real 'update' option

Check Out TechCraze
    01-18-15 05:04 AM