Hi, I know this is probably a foolish question, but the images sizes produced from my BB passport are only 2 mg jpgs... why are they not 13mp? Again, sorry of this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

cathy
    07-07-15 05:27 PM
    The megapixels of the camera is not the same as the size of the images it produces. 13MP doesn't mean you're going to get 13MB images.
    cathyo51 likes this.
    07-07-15 05:45 PM
    Hi, I know this is probably a foolish question, but the images sizes produced from my BB passport are only 2 mg jpgs... why are they not 13mp? Again, sorry of this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

cathy
    13MP is quality related to the photo.
    The 2 mg your referring to or the size of the file, is the amount of information that it takes to produce that photo.

Posted via CB10
    cathyo51 likes this.
    07-07-15 06:11 PM
    13MP is quality related to the photo.
    The 2 mg your referring to or the size of the file, is the amount of information that it takes to produce that photo.

Posted via CB10
    Agree 100%, but a bit off-topic on your avatar... not sure I get it. Not one for everything needs to be politically correct, but I'm glad that partners with families for years can now be legally married and recognized as a family.

Just think that if you haven't walked in the shoes of those in love that have been restricted from equal rights it's difficult to understand the struggles that many have to deal with.

Equality has been an ongoing struggle and I'm proud of the acceptance now that has already reduced suicide and other horrific issues facing those struggling with their sexuality among other things in life.

Sorry for going off-topic, but that pic stood out to me as slightly offensive although I'm unaware of the intended purpose of the avatar. I could be off in my interpretation.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:20 PM
    Try taking a photo of a rainbow, or multiple complex colors and the size will go up.

Posted from whatever device I'm currently using.
    07-08-15 12:29 AM
    Megapixel = 1,000,000 pixels
    Megabyte = 1,000,000 bytes

pixels ≠ bytes
    Trauma Surgeon and jope28 like this.
    07-08-15 12:42 AM
    Understanding Megapixels

Every digital photo is composed of pixels--millions of them. Pixels are an easy thing to measure, so many people buy a camera that captures a lot of them, assuming that more pixels equals better quality.

Consider the Nikon D7000, a 16-megapixel camera. It takes photos that are 4928 by 3264 pixels. Multiply those two numbers, and you get about 16 million. Compare that to the Apple iPhone 4s, which takes photos that are 3264 by 2448 pixels: 3264 times 2448 is about 8 million, or 8 megapixels.

Measuring Megabytes

While the megapixel rating tells you how many pixels are in a photo, there is another important thing you sometimes need to know about your photo: the file size of an image that the camera produces. This directly affects how much storage space it takes up on your hard drive, its size as a file attachment in email, and how long it takes to traverse the Internet. You might think of this as how "heavy" the file is, as if you were weighing photos on a scale.

Alas, there's no direct way to correlate pixel size and file size. A 10-megapixel photo might "weigh" less than a megabyte on your hard drive. Or it might "weigh" as much as 6 megabytes. The file size depends on several factors, including the number of megapixels, the file format you're using (such as JPEG or RAW), and the amount of file compression used to save the photo, which is sometimes referred to as the quality setting.

Source: http://www.techhive.com/article/2529...s_and_dpi.html

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-08-15 01:08 AM
    Actually a megabyte is 1,048,576 bytes 2^20, you have MiB and others which are 1,000,000. Anyway, off topic.

Most camera sensors operate on a Bayer pattern. This takes a picture with each pixel representing a single colour, and then interpolates the others.

g=green, r=red, b=blue

We get:
    gbgbgbgbgbgbgbgbgb....
    rgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrg....
    Etc.

13 megapixels means that approximately 13,000,000 individual pixels are on the sensor. The PP takes photos in 4:3 mode of 4160x3120 = 12,979,200 which is very close to 13 million. A jpeg image compresses this image using a lossy discrete cosine transformation so that it takes less space (sorry for the jargon). Think of it a bit like zipping your image, only the compression is better because it can throw bits away it thinks you won't notice.

So just the same as zipping your word doc makes it smaller, jpeg makes your image smaller.

As an asside, once the Bayer pattern is transformed to RGB (normal image) you actually have 3x the data, ie. 3x12979200 = 38,937,600 pixels. Jpeg compresses down to say 2Meg, which is almost 20 times smaller.

The actual file size depends on how much you throw away. Low quality jpeg images have what are called 'artifacts' which represent places information has been thrown away. This means that there is less to save, so the files size is small. If you increase the quality, then the size increases as you throw away less. It also depends on how much detail your pic has. A blank piece of paper has less detail than a picture of a person for example.

Hope this makes sense

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 01:13 AM
    So what is the quality setting for jpeg compression for the Passport? I get some photos that look great which suggests 100% but others that show a lot of compression artifacts and therefore not 100%. How to explain that? Wish there was a jpeg quality setting... Any thoughts?

 Passport SE 
    09-30-15 01:00 PM
    So what is the quality setting for jpeg compression for the Passport? I get some photos that look great which suggests 100% but others that show a lot of compression artifacts and therefore not 100%. How to explain that? Wish there was a jpeg quality setting. Any thoughts?

 Passport SE 
    I know this posit is old but did you ever figure this out? I have the same situation. I downloaded a photo from a Crackberry review that was very good quality, yet mind seems to have a lot of compressions.
    12-30-15 11:59 AM
    Thank God that the pictures aren't 13 MB big.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 12:07 PM