I have a Passport that is fully functional except for reading SIM. I gave it to a repair shop and after some time they said the SIM tray is fine, the problem is in the motherboard. No further details unfortunately..

What do you guys think could be the fault and if it's repairable?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-17 04:00 AM
    It's strange the problem is actually the motherboard, faulty SIM trays are not uncommon. If they're right (they could just be saying that in the hope to make you spend more money), then you have to change the motherboard, because they're not repairable: unfortunately it's a pretty expensive repair. If I were you, I would ask a BlackBerry Expert Center, or at least the support via phone: but sadly there's no way to know until you "dissect" the phone.
    01-17-17 05:10 AM
    It's strange the problem is actually the motherboard, faulty SIM trays are not uncommon. If they're right (they could just be saying that in the hope to make you spend more money), then you have to change the motherboard, because they're not repairable: unfortunately it's a pretty expensive repair. If I were you, I would ask a BlackBerry Expert Center, or at least the support via phone: but sadly there's no way to know until you "dissect" the phone.
    I thought this could be the case that they want me to spend almost the price of a new phone. But is it possible? That due to something wrong in the motherboard, the SIM card won't be readable? Or certainly other parts should be affected?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-17 06:06 AM
    I thought this could be the case that they want me to spend almost the price of a new phone. But is it possible? That due to something wrong in the motherboard, the SIM card won't be readable? Or certainly other parts should be affected?

Posted via CB10
    It's totally possible, but unlikely. I suppose they don't have much experience disassembling BlackBerries (especially those without standard sim slots located under the back-cover), or with hardware diagnostics in general. Try asking another shop for an estimate. If they keep saying that, it's probably true. But it still does cost a lot.

I know for personal experience that, at least in Europe, BlackBerry is sending brand-new Passports right now, because repairing them would be less convenient for it (in the worst case they would give you a refurbished one). If you're willing to repair it, send it to BlackBerry: you'll pay more (not really a lot more), but you'll receive a brand-new Passport, cheaper than a new one, and way more reliable than an used one.
    01-17-17 09:24 AM
    I ended up with two Passports from clients. One had bad sim reader, wouldn't connect to network, sos all the time. The other was beat up a bit, keyboard issues, well used. I took the motherboard out of beat up one with good sim reader and swapped it into the mint body of the one without working sim. Very easy to do, took maybe 15 minutes. Has been my daily driver now for almost a year.
    anon(4243545) likes this.
    01-17-17 10:12 AM
    It's totally possible, but unlikely. I suppose they don't have much experience disassembling BlackBerries (especially those without standard sim slots located under the back-cover), or with hardware diagnostics in general. Try asking another shop for an estimate. If they keep saying that, it's probably true. But it still does cost a lot.

I know for personal experience that, at least in Europe, BlackBerry is sending brand-new Passports right now, because repairing them would be less convenient for it (in the worst case they would give you a refurbished one). If you're willing to repair it, send it to BlackBerry: you'll pay more (not really a lot more), but you'll receive a brand-new Passport, cheaper than a new one, and way more reliable than an used one.
    I ordered a SIM tray and will visit another repair shop and ask to replace it and we'll see.

Unfortunately, I bought this phone from a guy so I don't have a guarantee. Wish I could replace it for anything that works.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-17 11:00 AM
    I ended up with two Passports from clients. One had bad sim reader, wouldn't connect to network, sos all the time. The other was beat up a bit, keyboard issues, well used. I took the motherboard out of beat up one with good sim reader and swapped it into the mint body of the one without working sim. Very easy to do, took maybe 15 minutes. Has been my daily driver now for almost a year.
    So now you have a spare motherboard with a faulty SIM tray?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-17 11:01 AM
    I ordered a SIM tray and will visit another repair shop and ask to replace it and we'll see.

Unfortunately, I bought this phone from a guy so I don't have a guarantee. Wish I could replace it for anything that works.

Posted via CB10
    You should definitely contact the one who sold you that Passport. It's true, you should have tried it before buying it, but such a contract is technically voidable, if he managed to somehow hide such a defect. He is legally responsible. Unless it worked when you bought it: no remedies in this case.
    Anyway, buying a new SIM tray is a good idea, the total cost shouldn't be that high, although you could probably buy a new one with all this money (it just depends on how much you will have payed in the end).
    01-17-17 12:20 PM
    So now you have a spare motherboard with a faulty SIM tray?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I actually put it back together and use it as a wifi only Passport. I use it to test OS updates and let my girls use it for playing games on
    01-17-17 01:18 PM
    Waiting for the outcome. I have the same problem
    01-19-17 01:20 PM
    Waiting for the outcome. I have the same problem
    I'm going to post the result of replacing the SIM tray

Posted via CB10
    FabriciusFab likes this.
    01-22-17 05:28 AM