Does anyone know if all four cores of the CPU are being used?
    Some apps report the device to have only two CPU cores instead of four.

It would be awesome to know that the performance we are getting are only by using just two cores of the arm processor. And thereby showing the efficiency of the QNX Operating system.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 10:07 AM
    If it is true that we're only using two cores, wouldn't that be bad that we don't have access to the other two? :/

Also, I am curious now, does this processor have any sort of hyperthreading-similar tech? Maybe that could explain why some read only 2 processor cores?

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2708
    04-15-15 11:05 AM
    Don't take this as gospel.

I read somewhere, I think here, that the Android Runtime only has access to two cores.

Don't shoot the messenger if I'm wrong.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2708
    04-15-15 11:19 AM

I read somewhere, I think here, that the Android Runtime only has access to two cores.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2708
    So native apps have access to all 4, but Android is 2?

04-15-15 11:31 AM
    If it is true that we're only using two cores, wouldn't that be bad that we don't have access to the other two? :/

Also, I am curious now, does this processor have any sort of hyperthreading-similar tech? Maybe that could explain why some read only 2 processor cores?

Consumers generally think, better specs means faster performance, which is true only to certain degree.

Performance is in the way one writes code as well as the overall system architecture. For e.g in this pseudo code, computing a constant inside the loop is bad coding practice. It takes up unnecessary cpu resources.
    m = 9
    For i = 1 to 1000
    J = 5 + m. // bad code
    Call function compute(1, j)
    Loop i

Many processor cores doesn't mean things would run fast. And at the same time low hardware configuration shouldn't mean the performance must suck. It depends on the overall system design.

When system(software and hardware) is designed right, performance could be achieved with very optimal(minimal) RAM and processing power. I have seen performance tuning bring down many hours of computations to few minutes for the same hardware.

I don't think arm processors support hyperthreading(they are virtual anyways )

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 11:48 AM

I wonder if android subsystem is implemented like a virtual machine. If that was the case it makes sense to limiting to two cores. Otherwise it might bog down the host itself.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 11:52 AM
    Consumers generally think, better specs means faster performance, which is true only to certain degree.

Performance is in the way one writes code as well as the overall system architecture. For e.g in this pseudo code, computing a constant inside the loop is bad coding practice. It takes up unnecessary cpu resources.
    m = 9
    For i = 1 to 1000
    J = 5 + m. // bad code
    Call function compute(1, j)
    Loop i

Many processor cores doesn't mean things would run fast. And at the same time low hardware configuration shouldn't mean the performance must suck. It depends on the overall system design.

When system(software and hardware) is designed right, performance could be achieved with very optimal(minimal) RAM and processing power. I have seen performance tuning bring down many hours of computations to few minutes for the same hardware.

I don't think arm processors support hyperthreading(they are virtual anyways )

Posted via CB10
    Oh I don't disagree with any of that! I'm just saying that wouldn't it be bad if there were 4 cores, but our system and devs only had access to two of them and the other two are purely idle :P

I know that most apps don't need more cores, and more cores isn't necessarily better performance, but for apps that do utilize multi-threading, wouldn't that become more of an issue?

And thought so! I need to brush up on my ARM hardware X_X

04-15-15 10:03 PM