Does anyone know if carriers (rogers/bell/telus etc) are allowed to deny you the option of buying a phone outright? (retail stores)

The reason I ask is because I was able to do so for the z10 but not the z30, I know some stores require you to sign a contract but are they even allowed to do this to the consumer?

Sure would be a shame if I couldn't get my hands on a passport in the next few days..

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 08:20 PM
    I hope to God that BlackBerry starts selling the phone online from day one...

Posted via CB10
    europolska00 and FrankIAm like this.
    09-23-14 08:22 PM
    Of course a store can refuse to sell a product for whatever inventory management purposes they see fit.... as long as it's not discriminatory based on race, gender, age, etc.

Not selling off contract phones, because your business depends on contracts, does not seem too unreasonable (although it definitely blows for the consumer and the device manufacturer).

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 08:37 PM
    Rogers has always denied me buying the phone off contract for at least the first two weeks. Really happy with my current plan, holding my breath for shop.blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 09:03 PM
    If they don't I can go pick one up at wireless wave or future shop etc..
    I'm also real happy with my current plan the new plans have gone up in price.
    I will be calling to find out how I can keep the plan I have if I upgrade through them. Maybe I'll have to buy outright.
    Has anyone asked rogers this? I suppose they won't know if I pick one up third party.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 09:56 PM
    This depends on the store & store manager/staff you come across.

I visited ~12 stores, Telus/Bell until I was able to buy an off-contract Z30. I am a Rogers customer, so it was not available day 1 and I was not interested in switching carriers at the time.

You'll get these responses typically:

- You need to buy 3 months of service if buying off contract (not sure how that equals "Off Contract")
    - No!

Eventually you might come across someone who will sell you the phone.... I got my Z30 @ Telus, off-contract with no service required. Many on CrackBerry ordered through Telus' website - as their "small business" section allows you to purchase off-contract, no hassle, direct to your home. No you don't have to be a business either
    09-23-14 10:01 PM
    I've already been told Telus will sell me the phone outright. Next stop will be to the local cell tech, to have him unlock it, even if I bought it through rogers I would get it unlocked anyway.

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    09-23-14 10:07 PM
    Does anyone know if carriers (rogers/bell/telus etc) are allowed to deny you the option of buying a phone outright? (retail stores)

The reason I ask is because I was able to do so for the z10 but not the z30, I know some stores require you to sign a contract but are they even allowed to do this to the consumer?

Sure would be a shame if I couldn't get my hands on a passport in the next few days..

Posted via CB10
    I would just buy it off Shop BlackBerry if the carrier denies. Probably cheaper anyways.
    09-23-14 10:16 PM
    Don't think the carrier can deny. Tried it on me once (telus) and asked for the manager. Got one no issues as a sale is a sale regardless

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    09-23-14 10:32 PM