Has anyone bought a prepaid data SIM card in Japan and used it in a Passport or other BB10 phone? All of the providers I've found online warn that BlackBerry is not supported. This one, for instance: ????????????????? | Prepaid LTE SIM | So-net

Now, my instinct is that this is referring to legacy BBOS devices. There are a handful of forum members who confirm that their BB10 phones work in Japan, but it seems that they are on post-paid contracts.

Does anyone have experience with BB10 and prepaid SIM cards in Japan?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 07:41 PM
    Have you checked out softbank? I recall reading a thread somewhere and believe I remember someone was able to use their BB10 with their services. Softbank sells a pre-paid SIM with a phone, but you should be able to pull the SIM and insert in BB10... Not entirely sure... Fortunately my carrier (T-Mobile) has fabulous international plans that handle roaming so when overseas I just use my device w/plan affixed... Although it sucks a bit more than usual since WFC functionality has been strained as a result of the T-Mobile/BlackBerry spat though, but the 9900 suffices for me until they work that out... But yeah, investigate Softbank... Hopefully someone has an answer for you...

And yes, BTW, I also think you are correct with the lack of BlackBerry support being a reference to legacy BBOS and BIS... BB10 devices work fine with data plans otherwise so it shouldn't matter... I don't see why it would... lack of band support would probably be the biggest issue if any, but should still function...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 06-19-15 at 08:41 AM.
    06-19-15 08:17 AM
    I've used a prepaid SIM card in my Q10 and my iPad in Europe without issues. Pretty sure those were from GoSim. I am going into China in September and have picked up SIM cards for the same two devices but this time from OneSim. I've tested both here & they work.

I just use the phone for calls and the iPad for data. Seems like there were special instructions to get data on the BlackBerry phone but I didn't check that out. I may test that over the weekend. Calls went through fine though when I tested the OneSim here last weekend.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 09:18 AM
    I've used a prepaid SIM card in my Q10 and my iPad in Europe without issues. Pretty sure those were from GoSim. I am going into China in September and have picked up SIM cards for the same two devices but this time from OneSim. I've tested both here & they work.

I just use the phone for calls and the iPad for data. Seems like there were special instructions to get data on the BlackBerry phone but I didn't check that out. I may test that over the weekend. Calls went through fine though when I tested the OneSim here last weekend.

Posted via CB10
    Probably just manually entering APN settings? Usually that's the extent of it...

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 09:33 AM
    check out OCN as they use band 3 (1800 mhz)
    06-19-15 10:46 AM
    Check out OCN - we need band 3 1800 mhz - so-net uses this band as well.
    But OCN has a better data plan (as its connected to docomo/and you arent restricted by daily limits) - I have the 3gb one.

If you have a look at the NTT docomo coverage map, its the orange one on the map.
    The coverage is pretty good if you live along the coast - tokyo, kanagawa, Shizuoka.

You can get the 050 (NTT number app) as another member tested it for me. Im yet to install it.

Amazon is the best place to buy the SIM cards as they usually are discounted.
    Last edited by aussieinjapan; 06-19-15 at 10:53 AM. Reason: more info
    CivilDissident likes this.
    06-19-15 10:50 AM
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm still hoping to find someone who has bought a prepaid SIM from the vending machine at the airport and can confirm it works with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 03:42 PM
    I can't believe no one here gave you the right info already!

Here is the right info:

BB10 devices are absolutely no different from any other smartphone. If they are unlocked, you can use any SIM so long as data is delivered by that SIM. There is no "special" connection like there was in BB7 and before.

Being on a foreign SIM is like being on a WiFi network. Just another source of data. You don't even need to tell the network what phone you're using. Just get a nano SIM and put it in.

I've used SIM's from a dozen countries in BB10 devices. Even at times they told me in the store that "it won't work in a BlackBerry!", it always does. They're confused.

BB10 phone = same as every other phone.

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling and thymaster like this.
    06-19-15 09:47 PM
    I recently went to Japan (May 2015), but I went to one of these department stores and got a Docomo data SIM card, which gave me 4G speeds, 3 Gigs of data for a month.
    The only issue I had was, Docomo needed an address in Japan for your house location.

It was a bit difficult to set up, as you have to go to their website and activate the new card.
    Part of the required information was in Japanese, so I was glad to have a Japanese friend type in all that information for me.

But I used my unlocked Z30 and a data plan in Japan without any issues.

Post from my Passport or my Z30 or my Playbook
    06-20-15 01:49 AM
    I just got back from Japan 2 weeks ago. Yes it works.
    Buy the sim card from the vending machine in airport, when u get out of the gate after taking your luggage, turn left u should see the vending machine area for sim cards. Get the �3000 one, it should be enough.

Follow the instructions on the card on how to change your apn. It's very simple.
    06-20-15 01:53 AM
    After changing your apn, u might still need Internet connection to go to their webpage to active the sim card.

So, don't exit the airport immediately after buying, stay on and connect to the free airport wi-fi, then follow the instructions on how to activate the sim card, it's just filling up ur particulars.

Oh, on the option where they ask u to enter ur credit card details, u don't have to enter unless u want to top up later on when u used finish the data.
    06-20-15 01:58 AM
    Yes they are referring to legacy BBOS. With any BB10 phones you don't need a specific data plan. You just order a sim that fits with regular data and your phone will work normally like the iPhone. This applies to every other countries as well.

Some sales guys are dumb and will insist it won't work so if you don't want to waste your time just tell them you want a SIM card for your iPhone 6 without showing them the phone, they will oblige without hassling you.

The only thing I would research into are the radio frequencies. Check to see if the LTE and HSPA/WCDMA bands are compatible with your phones. Anyhow the link you provide does look like the bands are compatible so you shouldn't have a problem.

Now, my instinct is that this is referring to legacy BBOS devices. There are a handful of forum members who confirm that their BB10 phones work in Japan, but it seems that they are on post-paid contracts.
    Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 04:16 AM
    APN are usually hardcoded into the SIM. You shouldn't need to program it. Most phones will automatically copy the APN on the SIM onto the phone. If it's not there then you can manually enter it in but should be the last resort.

After changing your apn, u might still need Internet connection to go to their webpage to active the sim card.
    06-20-15 04:23 AM
    I can't believe no one here gave you the right info already!

Are you on crack ? I told him what company to get one from.
    S0-net are useless....OCN is the one to go for.
    And the bands he needs...

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 08:15 AM
    Well it's as per the sim card package instructions. If u don't manually change the apn u will never be able to use the sim card.
    06-20-15 10:34 AM
    APN are usually hardcoded into the SIM. You shouldn't need to program it. Most phones will automatically copy the APN on the SIM onto the phone. If it's not there then you can manually enter it in but should be the last resort.
    My iPad 4 needed to have the APN manually entered with a recently purchased OneSim card. Q10 hooked up to cell service just by inserting the OneSim card but I didn't try any data usage. Will test that this weekend.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 11:14 AM
    True - when using Japanese pre-paid sims - APNs need to be manually set or downloaded to relevant device via wi-fi.
    06-21-15 08:28 AM