I bought my first BlackBerry last January (Q10). It gave me a lot of positive time as well as increased my communication productivity. Screen too small, battery not enough, but overall it was great for work.

This January my BFF gave me BlackBerry Passport for Christmas, in part, because he noticed me drooling over it on too many occasions. Shocked me off my shoes.

I have been enjoying every minute of using it, no exaggeration here. I am dead sure this is actually the first gadget I ever had that I never swore at (you know how some people can chide their devices). It's been that good so far.

I welcome 10.3.1, and find no real fault with it. There were two or three problems related with the update but none that persisted longer than several hours, or till next morning. It was as if this thing fixed itself.

I live and work in Russia; a management, data and IT consultant and entrepreneur. I do believe that very soon the BlackBerry will be all I need to carry as I visit clients around the city and outside St.Petersburg. Nowadays I still have to bring my laptop here and there with me, but I sincerely hope this won't be long.

After about a month and a half of using Passport, here are several improvement points I would love to see in one of the next OS updates. (Please forgive me if some or all of them were already suggested here, and I was not meticulous enough to find the original inventors to give due credits). Here we go.‎

I doubt I will ever type on Passport one-handed; however there are enough important actions I could easily do one-handed, given slight changes in the user interface, such as:

The browser:

1. Make R key toggle between reading and usual mode.

2. Find a way to stick virtual shift arrow somewhere: it is not shown in the browser interface, and I cannot page up, using Space.

3. Enable text prediction in browser url field: I often search for longish phrases but I must type all the way through as opposed as, say, composing messages. I know I can just use Assistant if I want text prediction in the web search but when I am already browsing, launching Assistant is an extra step.

Any apps:

4. Back button key: I would like to be able to assign a key to the command executed by pushing back button on screen. I would use the function very often so it would be good to be able to change the key assignment from time to time to avoid extra wear and tear of just one dedicated key. Or maybe a swipe left jesture could work.

5. Language abbreviation. I use English and Russian. Switching from language to language works fine: even though it's on the same virtual key as comma, I don't mind to hold it just a bit longer in order to switch the input language. Yet it would be great if that virtual key also showed some abbreviation of the current input language. Even a small something, like plus sign or even dot would work.

6. Blackberry Blend. If I had remote search in BlackBerry Blend I would have ditched my laptop email client (Thunderbird) altogether! Seriously this is all I need to forget about it.

OK, I think, six points is more than enough. Looking forward to your comments and/or workarounds if you use some that relate to the above.‎
    Last edited by Dmitry Kisselyov; 02-24-15 at 11:42 AM.
    02-24-15 11:17 AM
    5. Language abbreviation. I use English and Russian. Switching from language to language works fine: even though it's on the same virtual key as comma, I don't mind to hold it just a bit longer in order to switch the input language. Yet it would be great if that virtual key also showed some abbreviation of the current input language. Even a small something, like plus sign or even dot would work.

I just realized that this one, for Russian, had already been taken care of, in a clever way: when Russian is on I can see letter ё as one of the virtual keys, that's enough to know. Smart, my anonymous Russian-speaking developer, thank you!
    02-27-15 12:28 AM
    Excellent, thoughtful post. Just got mine a week or so ago and have been waiting to use it as my daily driver until my Z30 updated. The recent update to the OS is great. Time for a device switch and determine if the Passport suits me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my Samsung Tab Pro 8.4
    Dmitry Kisselyov likes this.
    02-27-15 01:13 AM
    The browser:

1. Make R key toggle between reading and usual mode.

To switch between reading and usual mode: in the reading mode swipe right on the screen, and you are back to usual mode. This solves some of my one handed browsing challenges.
    05-02-15 05:55 AM
    For your item #6 Remote email searching get an Exchange account. PM me if interested

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    Dmitry Kisselyov likes this.
    05-02-15 06:11 AM