-blackberrypassport_smartbiz_700.jpg

DOROTHY DOBBIE, SMART Biz
    Photo by MAURIZIO PESCE

My Blackberry 10 Passport is my new best friend. Slim but substantial; it feels like coming home. It�s smooth and elegant to the touch, but it has that tactile little keyboard that makes typing a dream � no more cramped hands.

The numbers are on a touch screen just above the keyboard and make a reassuring little pop when I touch them.

Like any new friend, it takes time to get to know it but each day brings a new discovery. Yesterday, we added my drop box and now I can take my office with me wherever I go without my computer. I don�t think I want to type a story on it, but I could in a pinch.

I love the size � the screen is large enough to enjoy the photos I take (wonderfully sharp, clear, lots of pixels, and easy to see outside). At 13 megapixels, the quality is there so I can use them in my magazines at 300 DPI and still get a good-sized image. It has a front camera for selfies if you are of a mind to record your own movements.

With 32 gigs of internal storage, it is about twice the size of the first computer we used to create our Manitoba Gardener magazine. It�s fast and responsive, with three GB of RAM, and you can add memory if you like� but it wasn�t my intention to give you a technical review.

I don�t want to give you a review at all � I just want to let everyone know how happy I am with this little device.

The Blackberry Passport easily takes the place of the tablet, which has so many limitations and is too large to be convenient. I feel safe in predicting that the Blackberry Passport and its imitators will make the tablet obsolete. I can do everything on my Passport that I can do on a tablet � and take it with me in my purse. It fits in all the pockets I�ve tried it in, including those belonging to my husband.

It�s a long time since I have been as delighted with a little toy like this � maybe because this one is perfect for business. I can surf the net, take notes, pictures and videos (and send them all), play games, text, email, and make calls � it has voice recognition and a really good speakerphone. There are all kinds of apps for it and more coming, many of them really useful for business purposes.
    True patriot love

But what delights me most of all is the fact that this device is Canadian. Am I a chauvinist? Yes, I guess so, but isn�t it about time we took some pride when Canadians do something wonderful? Blackberry has been a leader from the start, demonstrating just what kind of talent we produce here in the frozen north. I think we should all be using the product, even if it wasn�t such a clear pleasure and a leader in so many ways.

The sad thing is that I had to go to an American store to get my Blackberry Passport. MTS had a 20-name waiting list and doesn�t stock the phone in their stores. Rogers will only bring it in upon request, making you wait a week or so. I wanted one right away so I went to Future Shop who was glad to oblige, and gave us a $50 rebate on an old phone plus a phenomenal price on the new one.

I had to abandon my decade-long Rogers account to get the phone, though, and give up my idea of maybe bundling my services at MTS. Now we are with Telus, which doesn�t have the best range in Manitoba, but meets my citywide needs just fine. And the monthly price is right.

I�m happy. I love my new phone and I love that it is a homegrown product. Go see, feel, and try it out for yourself � and support a Canadian company

Source: I?m in love with a Canadian (and I want you to know it) | MyToba.ca

Source: I?m in love with a Canadian (and I want you to know it) | Smart Biz

Great Job to Blackberry on building a great Cellular Phone
    12-30-14 04:58 PM
    That's a great write up by someone that actually liked using the device rather than just liking the device. I think my wife would agree with just about everything she said, I've never seen her so hooked on a device,.. and earlier in the year I bought her a +$1000 Lenovo Yoga Pro that now literally just sits at her home office desk as if it was a 10 (20?)-pound Dell Latitude from 2002.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 05:11 PM
    Good read and as an American with allot of relatives in Canada, I think its great to support a company from your own country. I am a loyal BlackBerry user and I preach the BlackBerry brand wherever I go here in the USA.

I also try and buy products made in my country, the good old USA, but I also support our neighbors to the north and our friends in the UK who stood with us through two wars and allot in between, I am old school and I never forget. My parents raised me right.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-30-14 05:15 PM
    Great to hear that there still someone support our home grown product, we are proud of you.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 05:18 PM
    Well, our 2 passports arrived. Both the kids have been using it for about a week. And even now I will hear one or the other say. "I love this phone" or "best phone I have ever used" or " this phone is dope" whatever that means.

My daughter who couldn't care what her friends use was overheard telling her friends they were crazy not to use the passport.

And I have to wait a couple of months to get mine. Ah well, Classic will tide me over till then.

Posted via CB10
    JBhar and nhanken like this.
    12-30-14 06:20 PM
    Yeah Winnipegers!
    12-30-14 07:31 PM
    Wow what a enthusiastic review. Passport is so underrated. Blackberry have to push this phone harder because it is truly the greatest phone to come out in a long time.
    12-30-14 07:44 PM
    Great to hear such enthusiasm. This is what BB needs more of. Not the usual reviews that start the click bait wars. Been noticing that many of the more technical minded journalists are starting to write more positive things as well check out the Forbes article posted today. BlackBerry: A Year In Review - Forbes
    12-30-14 07:56 PM
    Great story! It's looking promising for the Passport, and I love too that this article came from my hometown of Winnipeg. The Passport truly is a unique marvel of technology.

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    12-30-14 08:51 PM
    Wonder if Kevin read that!

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    12-30-14 09:02 PM
    Go Peggers
    Only met one passport user in the peg so far and we both agreed we belong to an exclusive club

Posted via Passport
    12-31-14 12:50 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackberryPassport_SmartBiz_700.jpg 
Views:	1357 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	324301

DOROTHY DOBBIE, SMART Biz
    Photo by MAURIZIO PESCE

My Blackberry 10 Passport is my new best friend. Slim but substantial; it feels like coming home. It�s smooth and elegant to the touch, but it has that tactile little keyboard that makes typing a dream � no more cramped hands.

The numbers are on a touch screen just above the keyboard and make a reassuring little pop when I touch them.

Like any new friend, it takes time to get to know it but each day brings a new discovery. Yesterday, we added my drop box and now I can take my office with me wherever I go without my computer. I don�t think I want to type a story on it, but I could in a pinch.

I love the size � the screen is large enough to enjoy the photos I take (wonderfully sharp, clear, lots of pixels, and easy to see outside). At 13 megapixels, the quality is there so I can use them in my magazines at 300 DPI and still get a good-sized image. It has a front camera for selfies if you are of a mind to record your own movements.

With 32 gigs of internal storage, it is about twice the size of the first computer we used to create our Manitoba Gardener magazine. It�s fast and responsive, with three GB of RAM, and you can add memory if you like� but it wasn�t my intention to give you a technical review.

I don�t want to give you a review at all � I just want to let everyone know how happy I am with this little device.

The Blackberry Passport easily takes the place of the tablet, which has so many limitations and is too large to be convenient. I feel safe in predicting that the Blackberry Passport and its imitators will make the tablet obsolete. I can do everything on my Passport that I can do on a tablet � and take it with me in my purse. It fits in all the pockets I�ve tried it in, including those belonging to my husband.

It�s a long time since I have been as delighted with a little toy like this � maybe because this one is perfect for business. I can surf the net, take notes, pictures and videos (and send them all), play games, text, email, and make calls � it has voice recognition and a really good speakerphone. There are all kinds of apps for it and more coming, many of them really useful for business purposes.
    True patriot love

But what delights me most of all is the fact that this device is Canadian. Am I a chauvinist? Yes, I guess so, but isn�t it about time we took some pride when Canadians do something wonderful? Blackberry has been a leader from the start, demonstrating just what kind of talent we produce here in the frozen north. I think we should all be using the product, even if it wasn�t such a clear pleasure and a leader in so many ways.

The sad thing is that I had to go to an American store to get my Blackberry Passport. MTS had a 20-name waiting list and doesn�t stock the phone in their stores. Rogers will only bring it in upon request, making you wait a week or so. I wanted one right away so I went to Future Shop who was glad to oblige, and gave us a $50 rebate on an old phone plus a phenomenal price on the new one.

I had to abandon my decade-long Rogers account to get the phone, though, and give up my idea of maybe bundling my services at MTS. Now we are with Telus, which doesn�t have the best range in Manitoba, but meets my citywide needs just fine. And the monthly price is right.

I�m happy. I love my new phone and I love that it is a homegrown product. Go see, feel, and try it out for yourself � and support a Canadian company

Source: I?m in love with a Canadian (and I want you to know it) | MyToba.ca

Source: I?m in love with a Canadian (and I want you to know it) | Smart Biz

Great Job to Blackberry on building a great Cellular Phone
    Thanks for the post. Happy New Year! You make me happy!

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 10:16 PM
    Good read and as an American with allot of relatives in Canada, I think its great to support a company from your own country. I am a loyal BlackBerry user and I preach the BlackBerry brand wherever I go here in the USA.

I also try and buy products made in my country, the good old USA, but I also support our neighbors to the north and our friends in the UK who stood with us through two wars and allot in between, I am old school and I never forget. My parents raised me right.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    Pastor, the good Lord bless you!

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 10:17 PM
    Great to see attention given to such a great product. Blackberry deserves accolades for innovation and design for sure!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 07:19 PM
    And now I wonder if a tablet with a small physical keyboard at the bottom would be a hit. Never really thought about it before, but the reason I only play games on my tablet is that I hate typing on them. Even my Sony Duo Flip, I rarely use it in tablet form.

I suppose it'll never happen, but can't help but wonder.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 07:46 PM
    Spreading the word about how great this device is. Thanks for sharing!

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on CB10!
    01-03-15 09:53 PM
    And now I wonder if a tablet with a small physical keyboard at the bottom would be a hit. Never really thought about it before, but the reason I only play games on my tablet is that I hate typing on them. Even my Sony Duo Flip, I rarely use it in tablet form.

I suppose it'll never happen, but can't help but wonder.

Posted via CB10
    Makes me wonder as well......I would much rather stay with this size of form factor though

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 03:31 PM
    Well, our 2 passports arrived. Both the kids have been using it for about a week. And even now I will hear one or the other say. "I love this phone" or "best phone I have ever used" or " this phone is dope" whatever that means.

My daughter who couldn't care what her friends use was overheard telling her friends they were crazy not to use the passport.

And I have to wait a couple of months to get mine. Ah well, Classic will tide me over till then.

Posted via CB10
    The phone is so big, they are stashing their pot in it.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 04:21 PM
    I liked what you wrote: "But what delights me most of all is the fact that this device is Canadian. Am I a chauvinist? Yes, I guess so, but isn’t it about time we took some pride when Canadians do something wonderful?"

Yes we should be proud of what we had and are able to accomplish. Whether that be a Canadarm in space, Peacekeepers with the UN, a Canadian phone in the hands of the US president (and german one too I might ad),

Now, please just give us back our Tim Hortons!!
    01-04-15 09:56 PM