View Poll Results: Do you believe right now that the Keyboard as a trackpad is a game changer?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 48.78%
  • No

21 51.22%
    The older BB launched a trackpad on the phone and market exploded. The trackpad to this day is an amazing piece of technology.

At this moment do you understand that the keyboard is now a trackpad and that this will cause an explosion in sales on this feature alone?
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    08-07-14 07:39 AM
    In the fashion world.. what is old does become new again....
    08-07-14 07:46 AM
    I think it's a great feature that gives BlackBerry a good chance of survival, but in my opinion it's not a "game changer" (in the sense it could transform the whole smartphone market like the iPhone did).
    Made in flanders likes this.
    08-07-14 07:52 AM
    I suspect that while it won't get much attention from the Candy Crush players over in Tim Cook's corner, people who use their smartphones for business -- communication and document management -- will LOVE it. No, the keyboard tech won't lead to Passport sales surging past the iPhone, but it will go a long way toward putting BlackBerry back on the map.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    08-07-14 08:18 AM
    The Keyboard having the ability to act as a mouse/trackpad is one thing. The other is how well will BlackBerry Market such an amazing device?
    If the Passport is marketed like the Z30 was, they WILL cause poor sales. It better not be a silent launch, because that would kill any Passport hype and potential.
    This device needs a Mass Marketing Campaign.

Posted on my Q5
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    08-07-14 09:19 AM
    The OP has made a simple statement and asked for our opinion. Let's keep to that as the topic, please.

Elessar.cm / Moderator
    08-07-14 10:36 AM
    It is a bit risky to predict "an explosion in sales" based on practically nothing.

I think that a group of business users might show some interest in it and I also think that this kind of trackpad is a great thing since it kind of gives you back the lost screen estate as you can use your keyboard not only for typing.
    Still, it's difficult to make predictions at this point, although the future could look bright for this device. Let's see what the figures are telling us once the device has been out for some time.
    08-07-14 10:59 AM
    Sorry, can't see this exciting the populace in general here, only some die hard BlackBerry fans only.

Z10.......er......BlackDroid in action!
    08-07-14 11:14 AM
    If the Passport comes equipped with the Amazon app the sales should soar through the roof. The app situation was one of BlackBerry biggest problems and I think its been solved.

Time will tell.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    08-07-14 11:14 AM
    Yes I'm aware of it. I've actually used one ;-)

BlackBerry sakes will definitely not go through the roof. BlackBerry had lost almost all support from carriers worldwide so I will expect BlackBerry to focus on their best markets and spend whatever little funds they have for marketing there.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 01:07 PM
    The keyboard is thoughtfully designed and it will get the things done much faster and efficient. It will surely be a game changer if mass adoption happens.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    08-07-14 01:14 PM
    I agree could be a game changer. However the USA carriers as of today don't give a crap about BlackBerry. I was in AT&T the other day and the guy literally laugh when I told him I had a BlackBerry Z30. Hopefully that attitude changes.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.3253 on AT&T
    08-07-14 01:29 PM
    Poll At this moment do you realize that the Passport has this particular Amazing Tech ?-mockit_07082014130029.jpg

Z10 10.2.1.3175 via CB10
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    08-07-14 02:01 PM
    I think it's a great feature that gives BlackBerry a good chance of survival, but in my opinion it's not a "game changer" (in the sense it could transform the whole smartphone market like the iPhone did).
    What exactly did the iPhone change? All touch was done before. All Apple changed was... I actually can't htink of one other than they gain popularity and status.
    08-07-14 02:36 PM
    What exactly did the iPhone change? All touch was done before. All Apple changed was... I actually can't htink of one other than they gain popularity and status.
    For the sake of discussion, it could be pointed out that Apple changed the game enough for BBRY to emulate that specific design paradigm. That's huge when one considers its leadership reputedly laughed at the iPhone concept at one time.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    08-07-14 03:15 PM
    It will be interesting to see how the keyboard changes things. It is a perfect device for BB at this point. Innovative and hits its target market.

The big question is adoption by the cell phone companies and price. If they cannot get these subsidized, I 'm worried. $750 or whatever will attract enthusiasts and very wealthy. Most will take options from their carrier for $300-600 less.

Personally, it would be hard to give up my Z30 if I have to pay $750 for an "upgrade" to Passport. The Z30 is great in a lot of ways. I might miss it.
    08-07-14 07:34 PM
    I really don't think it is the hardware that has stopped a BlackBerry comeback, so I don't really think the keyboard itself will make a difference on its own. People are seemingly content with glass slabs, and limited typing (either by volume or by quality).

Granted the Passport will catch a few eyes, but it will only have a chance if it is properly priced, because you are asking people to take a risk trying a new hardware configuration AND giving up their comfy ecosystem (and forgiving/ignoring BlackBerry's past transgressions). Some people may not care about the latter (or the second latter), and would be the easiest to *convert*, but those people usually buy cheaper devices.

If the Passport is to be effective, it has to get rolled out as a flagship (with reasonable, but not cheap price)... *simultaneously* with very competitively priced Classic and Z3 LTE. You want the "billboard-esque" Passport front a center on a display shelf and the mid-lower tier alternatives next to it as fallback (and a $0 Z10 a little further down just in case).

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 07:53 PM
    For the sake of discussion, it could be pointed out that Apple changed the game enough for BBRY to emulate that specific design paradigm. That's huge when one considers its leadership reputedly laughed at the iPhone concept at one time.
    Well there were certainly aspects that were laughable and still are today. Like the exclusion of NFC and they say well, the smartphone has matured and it doesnt need NFC. Yeah right, a bunch of BS.
    spikesolie likes this.
    08-07-14 08:48 PM
    Well there were certainly aspects that were laughable and still are today. Like the exclusion of NFC and they say well, the smartphone has matured and it doesnt need NFC. Yeah right, a bunch of BS.
    Depends on the perspective. I'm sure some folks would laugh at our platform with regards to such things like the runtime, etc.

It sends as though more people would prefer things like a mature, varied ecosystem to awesome hardware enhancements like NFC.
    08-07-14 08:57 PM
    Depends on the perspective. I'm sure some folks would laugh at our platform with regards to such things like the runtime, etc.

It sends as though more people would prefer things like a mature, varied ecosystem to awesome hardware enhancements like NFC.
    The runtime actually points at bb10 ability to run multiple platforms. It's purpose for inclusion is laughable but the ability it demonstrates isn't so idk what your point was there

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 11:24 PM
    The runtime actually points at bb10 ability to run multiple platforms. It's purpose for inclusion is laughable but the ability it demonstrates isn't so idk what your point was there

Posted via CB10
    My point is that for BBRY's purposes, some might consider it a Frankenstein that didn't work. At this point, that's a tough point for reasonable people to argue. It's more important to have run one ecosystem/platform well rather than a proclaimed ability to do multiples. IMHO.

Remember the user-generated "better Android than Android" slogan? Now that was laughable. One could hear the folks at Waterloo cringe every time someone posted that comedic line.

Nah. Much as I find iOS infuriating, I can't really laugh at it, even with the heart-wrenching lack of NFC
    08-08-14 01:47 AM
    Wrong thread...

Might as well add: hindsight is 20/20. If I were the CEO way back when and some hotshot engineer suggested the runtime as an option that could save BBRY, I would have jumped at it.

In retrospect, I personally think the runtime has done more harm than good.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 08-08-14 at 05:35 AM.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-08-14 01:54 AM
    It's gonna put back blackberry in the map again but I do agree with some people it's not going to be a game changer. The trend is not gear towards square screen or 1:1.

I like the fact that the keyboard is a trackpad. I'd love my Q10 to have that feature then I won't have a smudgy screen all the time! I think if the Q10 had that perhaps nobody would have requested for the classic. That seems to be the only thing missing in Q10.

via Q10
    08-08-14 02:28 AM
    No the trackpad won't change a lot.
    People are pretty much over physical keyboards and trackpad.
    I don't expect a lot from the Passport and the Classic tbh. (I expect far more from the Passport than from the Classic though)

I will very probably buy a Passport, but to suggest that there will be a comeback because of the trackpad, is ridiculous IMHO.

Wrong thread...

Might as well add: hindsight is 20/20. If I were the CEO way back when and some hotshot engineer suggested the runtime as an option that could save BBRY, I would have jumped at it.

In retrospect, I personally think the runtime has done more than good.
    Did you forget the word "bad" in your last sentence?
    Because that's my opinion of the runtime, since quite some time.
    It was and still is detrimental for the native ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 03:52 AM
    No the trackpad won't change a lot.
    People are pretty much over physical keyboards and trackpad.
    I don't expect a lot from the Passport and the Classic tbh. (I expect far more from the Passport than from the Classic though)

I will very probably buy a Passport, but to suggest that there will be a comeback because of the trackpad, is ridiculous IMHO.

Did you forget the word "bad" in your last sentence?
    Because that's my opinion of the runtime, since quite some time.
    It was and still is detrimental for the native ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Yep... fixed.
    08-08-14 05:35 AM
36 12