Hi,

I still would like to make a wireless charging mod for the Passport (original). To that end, could someone please post pictures of the inside of the backcover of the Passport Silver Edition and the opened back of the phone - so I can figure out where to put and connect the copper wires.

Thanks alot!
    12-13-15 02:44 PM
    12-13-15 02:56 PM
    Ah thank you very much.
    12-14-15 07:02 AM
    So I looked at the images and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Please post pictures of Passport SE interiors-bbpp.jpg

The red arrow points to the charging coil. Am I correct? But where does it lead and where does it connect to the motherboard?

There seem to be cables leading to the blue arrow, but I cannot really make it out as long as nobody is pealing of that sticker?

Could it be where the green arrow is pointing? This is the standard NFC connector also found in the original Passport. Or?

Would be great if someone has a hint or tip.

Thanks.
    12-14-15 03:43 PM
    So I looked at the images and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbpp.jpg 
Views:	2917 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	384430

The red arrow points to the charging coil. Am I correct? But where does it lead and where does it connect to the motherboard?

There seem to be cables leading to the blue arrow, but I cannot really make it out as long as nobody is pealing of that sticker?

Could it be where the green arrow is pointing? This is the standard NFC connector also found in the original Passport. Or?

Would be great if someone has a hint or tip.

Thanks.
    Admittedly, I don't actually have a Passport SE, and the FCC's information is the only thing approximating a teardown I could find.

To compare, here's the regular Passport teardown: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2340287

And the AT&T Passport: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2493581

Still, my guess is that red is the NFC antenna while green is a regular NFC connector. The hardware on the inside of the back cover isn't as pronounced as it is on the AT&T Passport (i.e. the one with wireless charging).
    12-14-15 03:53 PM
    Unfortunately the Passport SE does not have wireless charging.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 05:41 PM
    Unfortunately the Passport SE does not have wireless charging.

Posted via CB10
    No wonder I could not spot it, if it is not there

Please post pictures of Passport SE interiors-bbpp2.jpg

So basically I would need to connect the cable to this spot and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll try to force it a bit by some soldering or so and then I hope it does the trick. (Resp. I hope there aren't any other differences I don't see)
    12-15-15 02:41 PM
    I have the ATT PP and love the wireless charging feature and now I got a SE PP also yesterday and wish it had wireless charging

Here is the only thing if found:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=USyjdn1W
    https://www.duracellpowermat.com/hom...rmat-powermats
    12-23-15 01:24 PM
    So I went at it again yesterday night. I did not have much time and no real equipment (multimeter, soldering stuff etc.). I hoped (as stated before) it would work "out of the box".

So I took a charging back coil from a Galaxy S3 mod
    Galaxy S3 gets the cleanest Touchstone mod yet | webOS Nation
    Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Wireless Charging Back Cover Only Need Touchstone | eBay

Because the positive and negative connectors are about the same size and distance apart from each other as in the Passport (as shown in the pictures above).

Well long story short: It did not work.

I tried positioning the connectors one way and then the other way around. I played a little with the position of the charging coil but it never charged. Best I could do was that upon placement of the Passport on the touchstone the constant buzzing changed to an interval of three short hums and a longer pause and three short hums again - so somthing might be going on there. I puzzled if the transfered voltage is not enough but I guess it should work anyway.

Here some pictures:
    Please post pictures of Passport SE interiors-20151228_210951.jpg

Please post pictures of Passport SE interiors-20151228_210809.jpg

I tried inserting two small copper plates to elevate the pins of the connectors a bit but that didn't do any good.

Please post pictures of Passport SE interiors-20151228_204408.jpg
    12-29-15 07:14 AM
    I hope someone can confirm that this is the end or if this can be accomplished by another try. I would use some long leads from a resistor or something and practice dropping a dot of solder on such a small spot. With the leads attached on both ends I would insulate them with liquid black tape. High Temp RTV silicone may work too.
    12-29-15 08:58 AM
    Hi

At the back cover of the SQW100-3 version it seems to see only the charging coil.
    Maybye a good try will be to connect to the motherboard only the coil without this small PCB - I think this is a small voltage regulator or something ?

regards.
    Klaudiusz
    02-03-16 02:18 PM
    @Klaudiuz
    What do you mean with PCB? The one attached to the charging coil. Well could be but I always thought that that is needed in order to charge correctly.
    02-05-16 03:29 PM
    Hello again

I’ve just checked to solder a coil directly to the pins on the motherboard. Unfortunately it also not working
    Guys here tried to do same operations with BB classic (also to not avail)
    forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-classic-f419/blackberry-classic-qi-charger-mod-992166/

I suspect three possible options: AT&T hardware are different than standard one, coil must be from SQW100-3 or(and) this two pins on the motherboard are disabled in 100-1 firmware.

For now I see only this option to get wireless charging in blackberry passport:
    translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=ja&ie=UTF8&nv=1&prev=_t&rurl= translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://hyzero3.blogspot.jp/2014/10/blackberry-passportqi.html

but in this case we cant use usb cable even more so better idea to add QI module is shown here:
    youtube.com/watch?v=h2gepmD4xKk

Klaudiusz
    02-06-16 11:25 AM
    Thank you for your try. The three possibilities you scetch out are very likely. I dont think that the hardware of SQW100-3 ist different. As you said that the coil is generally not working I think that the back of the AT&T (SQW100-3) wont help (in fact that would have been my next try). So I guess the only reliable Option is that the firmeware is different.

If that is true, then there is no help for us. This is really bad as Wireless charging is the one thing which I miss the most as I loved that about my Pre3

As soon as you have some news please post then here! Thanks, I`ll do the same
    02-07-16 07:37 AM
    So I installed

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 05:29 PM
    So I installed the charging coil connected to the usb port like this guy from japanese blog and tested it in past 2 days. This method is working but I'm not very satisfied with this.

First qi module I used has to low current (mili ampers) and the phone shows message 'if you want charge quicker use original charger' every time I put the phone on qi charger. So I changed module to 1000mA. Phone is charging quickly but battery temperature is 48 celsius. When battery achieve about 65% charging starts to interrupting and for a few breaks shows message 'cannot reognize the usb cable'. When I leave phone on charger in this situation charging will back when temperature lowers and for 30-50 tries phone is charged to full

I will try another 800mA module but I find this method useless because most wanted situation for me to wireless charging is in the car holder. In sunny day when I want use google maps navigation there's no place for charging interrupts. In this conditions 50*C will be after few minutes using.

I dont know maybye at@t passport qi charging has also limitations and bugs?. Maybye we want to achieve something impossible?

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 05:57 PM
    I was looking for a thread like this, sorry to hard that things didn't work out as planned. I'm still holding out hope that someone had a viable solution. I had heard that you cannot wirelessly charge beyond 70%, is that true? Don't recall exactly where I remembered reading that, I'm not an expert on wireless charging by any means but it'd be a cool mod to add to my Silver Edition. If so, that's probably why it can't go past 65%.
    04-20-16 04:08 PM
    Anyone got any bright ideas? I get my Passport SE in a few days and I'd love this feature.
    06-12-16 12:13 AM