I've owned numerous BlackBerry over several years. Sometimes contacts are replicated up to three and four times. The contacts are saved in numerous locations. Sometimes contacts that I've had for years randomly disappear and I have no way to email them or text them.

Can somebody please explain how the contact system works on BB10.3 and why they replicate and disappear and do crazy stuff?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    06-05-16 01:22 PM
    Essentially, the issue isn't BB 10's OS.
    It has to do how the contacts are set up and how you are synching them.

They could be disappearing because you have multiple places to store them. Do you have a media card? Another dual file possibility is some of the contacts could be stored as local and some on the SIM card. You may have contacts disappearing because they are not saved to the same location.

Did you set up and synch multiple email accounts without un-synch contacts option on all but one account?

Grunt approach: If you don't have a kazillion contacts:
    A possible solution is to synch your contacts to Gmail and use Gmail to clean them up.

There is an app that allows you to export your contacts to Excel. It is called simply enough "Excel Contacts". I don't remember whether I downloaded it from Amazon of Blackberry World. Home - SamApp is link to the developer's web site.

You could export and clean up the list and then import. But there are a number of apps designed to remove and or merge duplicates. I think one is Max Contact Manager. But the problem will recreate unless you resolve the basis of the duplicates (not synching / merging properly).

Clean up within the phone.
    Try opening contacts
    swipe down from the top.
    settings icon
    The second field is "Automatically Merge Contacts"

scroll down to "show accounts in contact list"
    You then can set which contacts from which list show up in the contact list.

You should see a neon blue link = "Account Setup". click it.
    Once the list opens, look at the bottom right of the screen = "Set Defaults". Pick a single email account to be your source of contacts.

If you cannot figure it out, search the Help section on the phone "My contacts weren't merged automatically"
    06-05-16 04:28 PM
    My contacts are set to merge automatically yes.

And you're right, I have them set to syn to like 5 locations. The sim isn't even used. Should I use that or what? Im nervous to sync my 500 contacts to any email address....

Posted via CB10 Passport
    06-05-16 05:43 PM
    Also,
    Why do you suggest using a gmail account? I've never used, nor do I have a reason, to use a gmail account?

Also, if anything were to ever happen to said gmail account, this would blow away every BBM, email and phone contact I've EVER had, right?
    06-05-16 06:57 PM
    When I first started this BlackBerry 10 I was plagued with multiple contacts.

I fixed t by not letting my contacts "merge" on any other platform except the BlackBerry. I had applications merging contacts on my Outlook client as well as the contacts application in Windows 8.

I fixed this by disabling sync on all my pc's and in the cloud. Then I only used one contact list to sync to the BlackBerry (exchange server)

Then I configured my linkedin, twitter etc accounts on the BlackBerry and let the contacts application merge them on the handheld.

Hope this helps.

Chris - Posted from my PP SE on CB10
    06-06-16 10:11 AM
    You can link them...into one, rather than merge?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    06-06-16 01:30 PM
    I used Outlook to Synchronize my contacts and calendar but after about 5-6 synchronization, it doesn't transfer all the things I input in my BlackBerry into the Outlook. Now I change all my Contact and Calendar to Gmail account and it's great. The new contact I added or any appointments, it shows up on my Lab Top without Synchronizing....cool

Posted via CB10
    06-06-16 06:59 PM
    But I don't use Gmail, I use outlook mail. Is there an advantage to using Gmail for syncing contacts? Should I make a Gmail account simply to synchronize my contacts?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    06-06-16 08:05 PM
    But I don't use Gmail, I use outlook mail. Is there an advantage to using Gmail for syncing contacts? Should I make a Gmail account simply to synchronize my contacts?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Who's your current email provider? They may have the ability to synchronize contacts.
    06-06-16 08:09 PM
    Is Gmail somehow famous for its contact syncing ability? I use Outlook and Yahoo. Outlook mail is fabulous in every way and the calendar sync. But is Gmail somehow the go-to email for contact syncing?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    06-26-16 08:12 PM
    Is Gmail somehow famous for its contact syncing ability? I use Outlook and Yahoo. Outlook mail is fabulous in every way and the calendar sync. But is Gmail somehow the go-to email for contact syncing?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Guess it depends on which Outlook you're using. Clarify if you're using Outlook.com or Outlook 2007/2010/2013/2016 (the desktop app).

Outlook.com will do ActiveSync calendar and contact syncing just like Gmail.

The desktop app requires something like Link, a prayer and the occasional blood sacrifice to sync the information correctly and consistently.
    06-26-16 11:04 PM
    I had a LG before I got my PP SE. The LG had a "favorites" contacts that was really convenient. Does the PP have something similar?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 11:36 PM
    Yes you can mark favorites in passport and you can mark contacts and/or email/text conversations as high-priority.

Yes outlook.com email; definitely active sync. Thank you for the help on this guys
    09-10-16 12:33 PM