So, I currently have a TPU case around the Passport, but think I'm going to switch back to the hard shell. I just switched from Verizon and couldn't resist the BlackBerry sale and bought a Z30 as a backup and then saw there was only a few white Z10s left in this stock so got a Z10 to play around with as well, lol. I did get the SIM card adapter for the Z30. Will probably just use the Z10 to have as an extra/WiFi device. I know I got credit card happy!

Anyway, I got the TPU because was worried about the stainless steel frame wearing in time since I'm constantly touching the sides based on how I hold the Passport. I don't drop my phones (anymore). From my previous Z30 I know it has a similar stainless steel type around the sides.

I am not rebuying screen protectors and cases and I already have a transform shell case that is similar to the Passport's hard shell case which I plan to use for the Z30. For the Z10 I will just be using the leather pocket pouch and getting my black back door back for the oreo look!

The transform shell for my "old" Z30 was what I mainly used and just looked and the silver on the sides are fine with one minor scratch which was likely caused by a drop as the corners on the blue transform shell are pretty beat up from not treating my devices as kindly as I do now.

So, is everyone comfortable with just the hard shell or even a naked Passport? Asking as the prices started adding up and wasn't sure if I could keep the Passport, Z30, and Z10 mint with what I have or if I should stick with a TPU or something with more protection covering basically everything but the screens. Ehh, hopefully not... just seeing how everyone's BB10s have held up with minimal protection? I know most here have upgraded to the Passport. If you read this far, any thoughts on screen protectors?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 12:52 AM
    Weekdays, I carry my Passport naked in a temporary holster. Weekends, it goes in the hard shell.

As for screen protection, I'll be getting the just-released Ghost Armor on it this weekend. (you can search up several threads about G.A.)
    11-03-14 08:44 AM
    Weekdays, I carry my Passport naked in a temporary holster. Weekends, it goes in the hard shell.

As for screen protection, I'll be getting the just-released Ghost Armor on it this weekend. (you can search up several threads about G.A.)
    Thanks for some input. I think they'll all stay in new condition, unless of course I dropped one, with the Passport like hard shell on the Z30 and the naked Z10 (just the pouch).

I have a few screen protectors that were cheap from Amazon (all different brands) from my Verizon line which was exactly the same Z10 to Z30 to Passport. My sister is using the Z10 and the Z30 is broke at this point, but I will likely try to put these on. I think that should be good enough. I know a phone is not an investment, but hoping they will hold up long-term with minimal protection.

I was reading about the GA from another thread last night. May be nice to have down the road when I refill the bank lol, but just for preventing minor scratches I'm thinking any screen protector will do.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 11:22 AM
    No way! I'm butter fingers!!Although a naked device is uber saxxy I do tend to drop phones! So far have dropped only a few times and with the slight frontal lift of the oem hard shell case, it saved my screen from damage!
    I ordered a holster from PDAIR with magnetic sleep function and belt clip! It says will fit the device with hard shell so will report and post once I get it.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-03-14 12:07 PM
    No way! I'm butter fingers!!Although a naked device is uber saxxy I do tend to drop phones! So far have dropped only a few times and with the slight frontal lift of the oem hard shell case, it saved my screen from damage!
    I ordered a holster from PDAIR with magnetic sleep function and belt clip! It says will fit the device with hard shell so will report and post once I get it.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    Wouldn't be completely naked. Will use the black hard shell on the Passport, a black transform case (basically same as hard shell, protects the corners) on the white Z30 and the black leather pouch for the white Z10. Still deciding on all white or oreo for the Z10. Won't be purchasing any new devices any time soon after this splurge so would like them to last without much wear at all.

I will say that it's been a month and I have not dropped the Passport once or even came close. I could go cheap and easy and get TPU cases, but I have one on the Passport now and much prefer the hard shell look. I would hate to see them all in $5 TPUS. I think that the combo I already have with the white devices will look good, but I originally got the TPU for the Passport to protect the stainless steel frame from normal use. I'm starting to think that this is not necessary.

As far as screen protectors I feel like any of the cheap ones I have and the ones from BlackBerry are enough to prevent any scratches on the screen due to placing on a hard table, everyday use, etc. I know they won't protect drops, but they should be able to prevent minor scratches.

Posted via CB10
    jackbuck93 likes this.
    11-03-14 12:58 PM
    Thinking about the hard shell until a proper holster comes out...how much impact protection would the hard shell gives vs a TPU skin?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    11-03-14 01:06 PM
    Thinking about the hard shell until a proper holster comes out...how much impact protection would the hard shell gives vs a TPU skin?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    That's tough, depending on how the device lands, but the cheap TPUs should definitely absorb more impact than the hard shell. Have a TPU case on now and from memory the hard shell corners come out a bit further and may protect the front a bit better if dropped. That is my understanding. Anybody can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That's my issue, don't wanna keep the Passport and my incoming devices in a cheap TPU case to keep them scratch free. Would rather utilize something more classy like the Passport's hard shell, Z30 transform case, and Z10 leather pouch that I already have purchased from my original devices. Personally, I think most TPU cases cheapen the look even though I'm using one now.

I'm still assuming any of the old screen protectors I have are good enough for scratch protection, but not total impact like a tempered glass protector. Was hoping somebody that upgraded from an older BB10 device could chime in on the case/no case and screen protector/no screen protector debate.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 04:39 PM
    That's tough, depending on how the device lands, but the cheap TPUs should definitely absorb more impact than the hard shell. Have a TPU case on now and from memory the hard shell corners come out a bit further and may protect the front a bit better if dropped. That is my understanding. Anybody can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That's my issue, don't wanna keep the Passport and my incoming devices in a cheap TPU case to keep them scratch free. Would rather utilize something more classy like the Passport's hard shell, Z30 transform case, and Z10 leather pouch that I already have purchased from my original devices. Personally, I think most TPU cases cheapen the look even though I'm using one now.

I'm still assuming any of the old screen protectors I have are good enough for scratch protection, but not total impact like a tempered glass protector. Was hoping somebody that upgraded from an older BB10 device could chime in on the case/no case and screen protector/no screen protector debate.

Posted via CB10
    The only part I'm concerned about protecting is the screen, the rest I'd be happy to leave naked. The only thing I put on my Z10 was an impact-resistant screen protector. As a result, the bottom corners are starting to look glossy from being polished repeatedly from holstering and unholstering, but that's not a problem for me.
    11-03-14 11:25 PM
    The only part I'm concerned about protecting is the screen, the rest I'd be happy to leave naked. The only thing I put on my Z10 was an impact-resistant screen protector. As a result, the bottom corners are starting to look glossy from being polished repeatedly from holstering and unholstering, but that's not a problem for me.
    Interesting, so you think with regular use the stainless steel sides, etc. should all be fine if never dropped? Like I said, I really like the combo of minimalistic cases I have with the white Zs I ordered and already have some screen protectors from Amazon left over from Verizon so should be fine with just that. That is my takeaway. Wanna get this TPU case off of the Passport and do not wanna put cheap TPU cases on the other two either.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 12:03 AM